Back from the mothership

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Apiarian, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    My P3AT G1 was received by KT on June 10 and I received it today July 11.
    I also sent in a PF9 and it is not back yet.

Two of the three problems the P3AT had when it went in are still happening. The check list as to what was done to the gun does not jive with what I see when I look at the gun.

The problems were
    both Mags release and drop during fire --- They still do!
    The assembly pin walks during fire --- it still does!
    The barrel lugs are deformed and binding on the frame --- the barrel was replaced

Now, all the check list says is
    -- Polished feed ramp
    ---replaced internal parts
    ---test fired

Funny thing is the barrel was replaced and the ramp is not polished, the slide was replaced and I didn't get my p-sight back, the assembly pin was replaced and a finger extension was installed on one of my mags.  There is a space in the check list for "replaced slide and or barrel" but it is not checked.

The gun is useless with the mags dropping down and the pin walking. After all this time I am about to give up on KT. Life time service is great, but only if things actually do get fixed.

Anyone want to trade an LCP for a G1 P3AT?

2. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Sounds like nobody read your description of the problem the first time. If it were mine, I'd send it back again and get someone to proof-read my return letter. Attaching a piece of candy with a red bow around it to the package couldn't hurt to get attention better next time ;)

3. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    I will talk with them on Monday. I'm just bummed over this whole thing.

This was my carry everywhere anywhere CW and I have been without it too long now. It is amazing how heavy the Gluck feels after the light KT. At this point I'm even considering a Rohr or Kahr which means the PF9 and P3AT would have to go. I would like to try an LCP but there is no way to just try one around here. I half suspect that if KT would replace the G1 with a G2 these problems may go away. I just don't know for sure and spending money on hopes of a fix is not very practical.

4. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    No need for that, if they tell you to include a letter describing the problem, someone should d@mn well read it....

5. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    I understand that people do have bad days. Something could have happened at home to cause a loss of concentration. I can empathize with these kind of things, but gross incompetence standing on its own I cannot. I will never know which it was.

However, a customer should not have to tell a gunsmith how to inspect a gun. I took a quick look and could easily see the assemble retaining pin holes in the frame are elongated. Simple to see and simple to fix, replace the frame. Now the question, why was it not seen or fixed? :-/

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    when you insert the mags, due you depress the release untill the mag is fully inserted then let go of the release. after you do that, can you grab the base and pull the mag out. If you can, it needs to go back, if it doesn't, you need to sell the p3at since your hand is not compatable with the grip

when you insert the assembly pin, due you fell a snap as the groove in the pin goes past the hair pin spring. If your assembly pin does not have a groove, a new pin would fix it (or add a groove with needle file). if the frame is warped around the hair pin, then it needs to go back.

7. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Thank you JFB for the suggestions.

It is the gun. I have had it for over two years and shot many hundreds of rounds through it (500-750).
    The mags drop down when firing left and right handed, thumb up, thumb horizontal. My hand does not touch the release while holding the gun. The assembly pin issue is a worn receiver where the pin slaps fore and aft in the elongated holes, walking it out of the frame.

8. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I had the same problem with them not addressing issues on my P3 when I sent it in.
    Maybe they can't read? You never know. ;)

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Looks like someone dropped the ball. You need to talk to Rick, assuming he's still the svc mgr. I would ask for a call tag and ship it to his attention with your documentation and a reminder that you spoke with him.

10. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    No need for that, if they tell you to include a letter describing the problem, someone should d@mn well read it....

[/quote]
    That's my SOP for trying to get him a Gen1 -> Gen2 swap. Doing something unusually nice often gets unusually good results. Then again, TX's approach makes a lot more sense :-[

11. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Well it is on the way back to the KT mothership.

I spoke with Rick and he emailed me a return call tag. He did not sound very interested in doing the G2 upgrade. I did write a letter explaining all the details. Also that the results of this experience will determine if I am a continued KT fan and owner. I think it is rather obvious that happy KT owners continue to come back buying more guns.

Oh yes, there IS candy in the box.

Now the wait. . . .

12. pocketauto

pocketauto New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    I had a bunch of trouble with a new P32 that i sent back 2x. at first it seemed it was fixed but the same thing started happening the second time i took it out and shot it. i got nothing but grief trying to get techs to understand what was wrong. bottom line: i sold the darn thing and got 2 more that don't have any problems. i think when you squeeze a lemon you get lemon juice.
    hope this helps,
    toni

13. Forge

Forge New Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Hey guys, I'm new to this site. I was just going over this thread and was wondering if these issues are common with KT's customer service?

14. Apiarian

Apiarian New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    It arrived today 08/22/08

Although it had to go back twice, they did me right!
    Old SN new upgraded gun. I understand that this is not always done and I appreciate KT for making sure I had a reliable P3AT.

How I like getting a dirty gun for the service department. I could tell they fired more than one round to ensure reliability. I just cleaned, oiled and took it to the range. I broke it in right with 100rds of Santa Barbra and around 50rds of other stuff. Not one failure of any kind.

So far so good.
    Thank you KT.