Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going KTOGers!

I'm currently working towards buying the Northwood trigger, but first I need to find a reliable (and affordable) gunsmith that can properly install it.

If you live in the Austin area, where do you take your gun for service?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Have you gone to the Northwood site and downloaded the Installation guide?
Even if you've never done anything to any gun before in your life, unless you have a medical disability which limits your dexterity, you could probably perform the surgery yourself in about an hour. The guide gives you a great step-by-step with pics.

Having written that... There are quite a few gun shops in the Austin area (up & down the I-35 corridor) that could do the work. Have you check at Red's?

You can also go to Google Maps and input Gunsmith Austin TX

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I normally install my own parts if they are 100% drop-in, but I get nervous removing metal/plastic from my EDC pistol.

Also, I sent a message to centraltexasgunworks.com yesterday before I found out about that trigger asking what they would charge for a trigger job. This morning they replied and actually recommended the Northwood trigger. I guess they're "in-the-know" about kel-tecs. He quoted 1/2 to 1 hour of work at $65/hr. Is that a reasonable rate?

I do have one more concern, though. If I have this modification done, what will that do to my warranty?

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I normally install my own parts if they are 100% drop-in, but I get nervous removing metal/plastic from my EDC pistol.
If your PF-9 is new, it probably would be drop-in. Mine was.
the only plastic that might need removing, would be from the polymer grip to increase pre/over travel just a bit. If you totally screwed that up to the point that the grip was unserviceable, a new grip is only $35-$45 from KT.

Also, I sent a message to centraltexasgunworks.com yesterday before I found out about that trigger asking what they would charge for a trigger job. This morning they replied and actually recommended the Northwood trigger. I guess they're "in-the-know" about kel-tecs. He quoted 1/2 to 1 hour of work at $65/hr. Is that a reasonable rate?
Not a bad rate. If he's familiar with the PF-9, a Half Hr is probably all he'd take to do it. It took me 45 min, but I had to play with the Hammer Block a bit. $65/Hr for Service on a firearm isn't bad.

I do have one more concern, though. If I have this modification done, what will that do to my warranty?
It will not void your warranty in any way, but if I had to send my complete pistol in for service, I'd put the factory trigger back in it before shipping to them, just to make sure that the trigger didn't 'get legs' while visiting Florida. Another reason to do it yourself. ;)

To me, Kel-Tecs are easier to work on than Glocks. [shrug]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts