Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I might point out something I read on another forum:

"I also own a G19, G26 and a Kahr PM9. Glock Blah Blah Blah deleted... My Kahr PM9 is a neat little gun, however, it is now very expensive 'safe candy' due to it being unreliable. I would never bet my life on the PM9."

And in the same thread there was:
"wow... that rohrbaugh looks nice as anything. i read the reviews at http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/ though, and I was a little disappointed."

So, someone, please, tell me again how KT is the ony manufacturer of small weapons that ever have a problem? And oh ya, the mentioned weapons sell for twice and 4x that of the KTs...

-Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
there are problems at every manufacturer...not 1 firearm ever made is 100% defect proof,just some are better than others....as txcajun once said,stop blashing keltecs if you don't like them go somewhere else and waste other people's time!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah, uh rah!  If you want to complain about a weapon, go buy a PM 9 or PM 40 and complain over at Kahr's Owner's Group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to enjoy and/or improve your great weapon, hang out, this is a cool place.
;D
-Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Had a bunch of problems with my P-3AT. Looked around at all the competition. Can't find anything better for ccw than my KT. Until something better comes out, Kt is the way for me. BTW, they are the best for customer service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
My Kahr PM-40 has been great! I bought an early serial number "factory test fired" unit and had 1st round feed issues. I called Kahr, they OVERNIGHTED an updated recoil spring assembly and it has been 100% flawless through approx. 400 rounds since...I love it.

My KT P3AT has been great too. It had the usual 200-300 round break-in hiccups, but has been flawless ever since (now at well over 800 rounds).

My KT PF-9 will now feed and fire anything I throw into it... it just won't lock the slide on the last round (not a huge issue for me, but some may see it as a major problem).

My 1st Glock 23 was the biggest POS I ever owned. My 2nd Glock 23 is perfect!

All 3 of my S&W M&P's have been perfect so far (the M&P 40 full size is over 1000 rounds now).

The point is well taken however. ALL manufacturers have some issues. All of them. Anyone who singles out one brand as being the "leader" in QC problems is either grossly ill-informed, has an axe to grind, or hasn't owned enough guns to have sufficient experience to comment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,989 Posts
Would anyone call Ruger crap, I've sent one back.
Would anyone call Para Ord crap, sent one back too.

Why do people jump on the KT is crap band wagon so quick ???

People have told me Hi-Point is crap
I ask, have you shot one, they answer no.

People tend to relate price point with quality,
most of the time it's some what true but,
you can get more than you pay for at times...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
I am not about to bash Kel-Tec. I like my P3-AT. But I do have a question about the other guns. How many times does it take to get those guns fixed when they have a problem?
The only complaint I do have with Kel-Tec is the new slide they sent me is doing the same thing the original did, as are others here. I am just curious if that happens with the other more expensive guns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
inothome said:
I am not about to bash Kel-Tec. I like my P3-AT. But I do have a question about the other guns. How many times does it take to get those guns fixed when they have a problem?
   The only complaint I do have with Kel-Tec is the new slide they sent me is doing the same thing the original did, as are others here. I am just curious if that happens with the other more expensive guns.
I, like many others I am sure, think that is a very reasonable question to ask. In fact I would very much want to know the answer to that question and I would think you would be in a rare (and unfortunately not unique) situation to get us that answer.

Could you please politely (syrupy sweetly if necessary) call KT service tomorrow morning and explain that you had a slide problem, sent it in and have had it replaced with another defective slide and then ask them what you need to do about it and how they are assuring that this won't happen again. Please explain that we are aware of numerous other people that have had multiple defective slides returned to them and how, as concerned KT customers we would like to have our fears put at ease. Would you please do this (if you have not already) and post the answer for us?

-Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,127 Posts
I have sent 2 Kahr pistols back for repair. Kahr had them picked up at my door, fixed them on the first try and returned them to my door all at their expense. I have not had to send one back to be fixed again.

My 1st generation AT had to be repaired 3 times before it became reliable. I paid for shipping once. I understand that the 2nd generation guns are much better. Kel-Tec service has been good and I am satisfied but then I always like to carry 2 guns just in case. ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
I own a PM9 - after shooting about 1,400 rounds with no problems I had 2 failures to feed. Both were when magazine was full - and while shooting Black Hills JHP +P ammo. No issues when I was using other ammo.

Kahr issued a barrel recall

Models involved: PM9093A, PM9093NA, 9094A, PM9094NA

Serial number ranges: VA0003--VA9999, VB0004--VB0999

I called Kahr and even though my gun is not in this range they sent me a new barrel and recoil rod/spring (with the PM9 recoil rod and springs are one unit) FEDX overnight.

I switched out the recoil rod/spring - but kept my old barrel (since it was not in the recall thought I would give it a shot) it seems to have solved the problem. The last 200 rounds fed fine.

Am I happy my gun had a FTF - 2 times in 1,600 rounds - heck NO - but I will say the Kahr service is pretty good -

Called service on Wednesday afternoon - got the parts on Friday morning.

The parts sent fixed the problem - or at least no problems since - its a little early to tell for sure - only 200 rounds.

Should the service be better for a more (way more !) expensive gun? YES I think it should. Was Kahr service better than KT - YES it was. 2 days from problem to problem solved - its been over a month now since I last saw my P-3AT. I expect to get it back sometime next week.

I own both a PM9 and a P-3AT - like both guns very much -

IMO it is petty that some P-3AT owners seem to take pleasure from the fact that Kahr had a problem. But when someone brings up a problem with a KT gun they get called a troll - or get all sorts of excuses on why its OK for KT to ship defective guns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
z71bill said:
The parts sent fixed the problem - or at least no problems since - its a little early to tell for sure - only 200 rounds.

Should the service be better for a more (way more !) expensive gun? YES I think it should. Was Kahr service better than KT - YES it was. 2 days from problem to problem solved - its been over a month now since I last saw my P-3AT. I expect to get it back sometime next week.
Interesting but apples/oranges. I have seen time after time where people have had a problem and ordered parts from KT and had them in 2-3 days. Not quite overnight like Kahr so I guess that Kahr is "better" on that front. But it's not fair to compare Kahr's sending you parts to the time that your gun is in for service.

-Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
adamsesq said:
I, like many others I am sure, think that is a very reasonable question to ask.  In fact I would very much want to know the answer to that question and I would think you would be in a rare (and unfortunately not unique) situation to get us that answer.

Could you please politely (syrupy sweetly if necessary) call KT service tomorrow morning and explain that you had a slide problem, sent it in and have had it replaced with another defective slide and then ask them what you need to do about it and how they are assuring that this won't happen again.  Please explain that we are aware of numerous other people that have had multiple defective slides returned to them and how, as concerned KT customers we would like to have our fears put at ease.  Would you please do this (if you have not already) and post the answer for us?

-Scott
I have been thinking about it now that they have found a 'fix' for it. I really want to wait to make sure there is a definitive fix though. I don't want to call just to call and then have them ask me to send in my gun or exchange for a new slide on credit card. My present slide is showing minimal peening after 160 rds. If I shoot it some more and it gets worse than I will definitely call.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
32,240 Posts
z71bill said:
IMO  it is petty that some P-3AT owners seem to take  pleasure from the fact that Kahr had a problem. But when someone brings up a problem with a KT gun they get called a troll - or get all sorts of excuses on why its OK for KT to ship defective guns.
Well, I disagree with you here on a few levels. First, I don't think anyone here "takes pleasure" from any gun having to be sent in for warranty work, whether it's a Kahr or a $2000 custom 1911. I don't know where you come up with that kind of BS but I'd love to see the link or quote where someone took pleasure in that.

No one ever gets called a troll here for bringing up a problem with a KT gun either. That is just a lie. Generally, people who get called trolls do little here but bash KT guns. That appears to be their main purpose for posting and they tend to post the same negative crap over and over. They are not asking for help nor offering advice - just using this forum as the KT complaint department. That is trolling.

Nor have I seen people here offering "excuses" for why KT shipped a "defective gun" anymore than we would excuse any other manufacturer for shipping a gun that had a problem. If you read any gun forum where any make or model of guns are discussed, you are going to find problems. Kel-tec is no different in that regard. They are different however, in that no one else makes a gun that can compete with the size/weight/firepower/price ratio, yet they manage to do just about as well as manufactures making steel guns that weigh and cost several times what a KT does. This is in spite of the fact that they make many more guns than most manufacturers. Comparatively speaking, I'd say they have a great track record. The fact that they have a lifetime warranty (many don't) and great customer service is just icing on the cake. Yea, I know... you disagree. Tell me something we don't all know. :-/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
inothome said:
I have been thinking about it now that they have found a 'fix' for it. I really want to wait to make sure there is a definitive fix though. I don't want to call just to call and then have them ask me to send in my gun or exchange for a new slide on credit card. My present slide is showing minimal peening after 160 rds. If I shoot it some more and it gets worse than I will definitely call.
Not a bad route and certainly can't argue with that. But I wish SOMEONE would ask KT for an official explanation on this. KTWM???

I didn't mean for this thread to turn into the same old arguments, I just wanted to add something new/point out that we are not the only ones that have some issues.

-Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
adamsesq - "But it's not fair to compare Kahr's sending you parts to the time that your gun is in for service. " I understand what you are saying - and would agree - except KT has sent me parts 3 different times trying to solve the problems before I ended up sending the gun in for service. Kahr must keep track of things better - they know they had a bad batch of barrels - they know the serial numbers of the guns with the bad parts - they also know my gun (because they ask for my serial number) has an old style recoil rod and spring - the new one they sent is +1 pound more than the orignal. KT does not have any idea when the parts in the guns they are making today were made - they don't even know if the slide they give to someone to replace a defective slide - is good or if its from the same batch as the defective one it is replacing. They don't bother with MINOR stuff like that. Its too much trouble. IMO it shows up as multiple returns for the same problem.

TxCajun - same old tired excuses on all the "quality" related threads. Even in your last post you bring out the most common ones - first the size/power/price ratio - excuse. Then follow it up with the - they make many more guns than most manufacturers - excuse. Then there is the - they all have problems excuse - which is of couse true - its just a matter of degree.

I own a Mazda that cost about 1/2 the amount I paid for our Acura - I still expect it to start when I turn the key.

rjhauser - nice post - sort of supports what I was saying - thanks for helping me prove my point.

I have not given up on the P-3AT - hope its all fixed when it comes back - if it is I will sure post all the good things - if it comes back with another defective slide I will post that also. The sad part is its just LUCK OF THE DRAW - 50/50 - will it be fixed or will it need to go back.

Just trying to be Fair and Balanced -
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top