Attn Admins - list of serial numbers from Kel-tec

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by diamond, Mar 14, 2010.

1. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Would it be possible for one of you to contact Kel-tec and ask them for a full list of all serial numbers with manufacturing dates for all models?

I figure if the person to contact them were an admin from this site, perhaps they would reply favorably.

This would save them from getting a lot of calls and emails all asking for manufacturing dates.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Re: Attn Admins - list of serial numbers from Kel-

Kel-tec has a web site.  If they were interested in publishing a list of manufacture dates for the half million or so guns they have produced, they have the means to do so... on their bandwidth.  ;)

3. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY

The different gun forums on KTOG often provide "close enough" info in a user reported low-bandwidth version. Some of the forums have threads where new purchases can be recorded with a serial number (often with the last digit obscured to add a degree on anonymity) and the date the weapon was purchased new. In other forums, there is a thread that tracks current availability and price and people often enter their serial number there.

Kel-Tec has consistently refused to provide the manufacturing date based on serial number. I don't know why anyone needs to know that, and I can think of a few reasons I wouldn't want them to just give that info out to anyone who asks. Mostly, I think Kel-Tec has better things to do with their time than cross reference serial numbers so proud gun owners can know their baby's birthday.

Is there a *REAL* reason to know this? Even for ongoing improvements, Kel-Tec often implements them over a range of serial numbers. For example, the chrome lined PLR-16 barrels were phased in over a period, and for several months you could get either version, and I don't even think Kel-tec tracked this well enough to tell us the limits where all PLR-16s before serial number Pxxxx don't have chrome lined barrels and all PLR-16s after serial number Pyyyy have chrome lined barrels.

Don't buy a PF-9 made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon! The Monday after Superbowl Sunday is the worst! Probably won't even have half of the parts! :p ;D

4. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana

But then who would lose their job security in this down economy? :D ;) ;D

5. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

I really don't understand why bandwidth would be an issue, seems more like it would just be a pain for someone to put the task into action.

I used their online contact form and they gladly sent me my manufacturing date, as have many others.

I just like knowing things like this. I keep a database of my guns and enjoying including the manufacturing date.

:)

6. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY

Thanks for the correction. I thought they didn't do that! I learn something new every day. Unfortunately, I forget several things every day, so it's a net loss. :)