ATTENTION: AVOID PURCHASING P3AT UNTIL FIXED

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Second_Life, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    There must be some design flaw or defect with the 2nd generation P3AT.  Enough with the limp wrist talk or finding the right ammo to your gun.  There is plenty of evidence on the web and even acknowledgement from KT tech support of this issue.  I strongly advise you to avoid this unreliable pistol until this issue is corrected.
    For the record, KT customer service is great.  I purchased my P3AT is 08 with the FTE issue and returned it for service.  Then after trying many different types of ammo, verifying that I’m not “limp wristing” and doing the fluff/buff, I returned it again this year in March.  I requested a fix or replacement and KT CS responded quickly with a replacement.  Again, great CS.
    Got the new gun, did the fluff/buff and went to the range with factory Remington plus Federal.  Shot 100 rounds FMJ plus 13 JHP I would use for carry.  Had 20 FTEs out of the 113 rounds.  Called KT CS who were very cooperative, acknowledge they are hearing more and more complaints of this issue and are mailing me a new extractor.
    While waiting and researching I came to a thread explaining an extractor mod to address this FTE issue which I did.  Went back to the range with more Remington FMJ and Federal JHP.  Had 16 FTE out of 100 rounds.
    Below are some pics from my pistol and a video link on YouTube showing the exact issue I and everyone else is talking about.
    Until this issue is corrected, avoid the 2nd generation P3AT.

http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq326/Second_Life_images/P3AT/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZlXylQSaBM[/ame]

2. princemorr2003

princemorr2003 Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Sorry but never had a problem with mine or my father's. Mine has over 1000 rounds with no problems. My fathers is used so no idea how many rounds threw his. Last time i shot mine it had pocket lint all over it and needed cleaning. Well i shot it and still no problems.

Kel-tec sells thousands of these and very few have problems. Only time people post like this is when they are unhappy. How many times do people for the hell of it go to glocktalk.com or xd.com and post and say guess what my gun is perfect. most people never take the time to say how good a gun is. I am sorry your P3at is a lemon but most p3at owners never have problems with their guns.

Ruger LCP had a recall just few months after coming out with it. Ive seen glock's and $1000 guns fail.

3. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    OK princemorr2003,

This is my 2nd lemon from KT or didn't you read my post completely.  Even KT is acknowledging this is a problem now so it isn't just an unhappy person.  

I'm posting this because I will inform others to protect thier families with a RELIABLE pistol.

Read me post, see that I do appreciate KT CS and my P3AT.  BUT THERE IS AN ISSUE PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT AND IT IS BEING REPORTED MORE OFTEN NOW.

Stop posturing and be a concerned fellow KT owner and help others.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

5. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    mine has over 4000 rounds, and my only issues have been extractor related.

but other than that, anything can fail. at any time

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    How about you stop whining Second_Life, and realize I have $1000 guns custom built that have failed....out of box.

do you realize how many of these guns are out there, and how many problems are reported?  that probably amounts to less than 1%

and I install hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of electronics and related equipment for a living, that have been known to fail out of box.

7. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks JFB for showing how you and other's are still blaming the user.

Is Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hyda-Shok and Gold Dots cheap and unreliable ammo?

Even KT CS says the pistol shouldn't have any issues with the ammo I've been using.  But I'm sure you know more than the manufacturer does.

Also, here's my exact quote without your editing: "I strongly advise you to avoid this unreliable pistol [highlight]until this issue is corrected[/highlight]"

8. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Now comes virtual-rjhauser,

Again, I'm posting this to inform my fellow and potential fellow P3AT owner's of a reliability issue.

Why are you and the other "oldtimers" calling me names and not assisting to correct this concern?

Don't  you care about other people or just call everyone who is trying to help others "whining?" You just stated, "do you realize how many of these guns are out there, and how many problems are reported? that probably amounts to less than 1%." How do you know this and why would state such unknown facts?

Look at the posts, videos and, again, KT is hearing more and more about it.  Even the gun shops are telling customer's about the FTEs.

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    maybe this posting will break the lul and boredom ;)

However, If there is any name calling or personal attacks, It will be deleted

10. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    My P3at has been my least reliable KT pistol. That said now that I have fixed the one issue I've had, the trigger pin, it is also the KT pistol I carry most. I'm carrying it now as a matter of fact, it's the gun I can always carry.

It sucks that you've had so many issues but your experience doesn't mean that the P3at is a terrible pistol. KT sells quite a few of them and I would guess that 98% don't have any problems right out of the box.

CJ

11. princemorr2003

princemorr2003 Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2005
    second_life  u just make it seem its all 2nd  gen P3AT that should be avoided. 99.99% people that buy this gun will never have a problem.  Its always a good idea to test any pistol before you carry it to make sure it works. I do not carry my  RIA1911 yet because i have only put 150 rounds down range yet (granted no problems). Most people do only carry their gun after they tried it with different ammo.

If any of my XD, RIA, Sig or KT had to be sent in to fix then i would start over with the breaking in before i carried it again.

Quick question  have u tried switching mags or is it the same one from first gun?

12. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks CJP32 for your input,

I appreciate your honesty about reliability.

My post is about many others reporting an FTE issue not just me.

Your statement, "KT sells quite a few of them and I would guess that 98% don't have any problems right out of the box," is just a guess which is miss-leading. This is a problem that is rearing its head.

13. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
     :-/
    where can one find supporting info

14. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Reply to princemorr2003,

"99.99% people that buy this gun will never have a problem." Please stop stating miss-leading statements. [highlight]If we don't acknowledge current field input and work together for all than what is this forum about?[/highlight]
    Yes I have 4 factory mags that I switch around, no I'm not limp wristing, yes I use factory quality ammo, did F&B on both the old and replaced 2nd gen P3AT. Couldn't it really be a defect or manufacturing issue like all the other owner's are reporting more and more with the 2nd gen to KT and on the web?

15. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I can't say that I am qualified to get into the middle of a discussion like this, but I CAN report my personal experience with a NIB HC P3AT.  Less than six weeks old and two trips to the range.

Total of 280 rounds of Remington and Federal FMJ and only one failure, where my left handed friend while shooting, ejected the mag, and I had two stove pipes using the KT 9 round mag.  25 rounds of Hornady CD at 100%, and great grouping!

If this is a problem with my personal P3AT, please help me understand where it is.

16. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

Ya must have changed your mind in the last 3 years. Hmmmm.... :-/

17. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Directly from KT CS representative when I called about this issue and servicing. Is that acceptable JFB?

:-/
    where can one find supporting info

[/quote]

18. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Now comes haugrdr,

Yeah, after respecting the advice given to me as a new KT owner by this forums "Grand Whatevers," I did believe it was me and did try everything else.  But after time went by and more and more reports are showing up - yeah it could be a manufacturing issue.  Why are you and the other senior members so resistant to that?

Ya must have changed your mind in the last 3 years.   Hmmmm....    :-/[/quote]

19. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    In that youtube video it looks to me like your shooting cci blazers with aluminium cases? If so that is the problem. It's NOT THE GUN. Aluminium does not expand like brass. It expands and sticks. Brass will for all practical purposes bounce a little. Expand then retract. If it's not aluminium but nickel plated brass then sorry for thinking it is. However I have looked all over the net and do not see the complaints about the 2nd gen p3at like your claiming. For the most part all I find are people talking about how great a pistol it is. I know mine is only about a month old but in that time I have put close to 1000 rounds through it of all kinds of brands and yes even a few aluminium blazers and the only FTE I had were when it was 200+ rounds into a session.

20. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

Ya must have changed your mind in the last 3 years.   Hmmmm....    :-/[/quote]
    [/quote]

You pop into a brand specific gun forum and blast a pistol that has a very good and longstanding track record. You don't ask for help, you don't listen to advice, you just blast and rant. Exactly the same way you did 3 years ago about the very same pistol...only back then you were ranting and not asking or listening about the ammo.

You walk into a fire and throw gasoline...you want us to hug and kiss you?

OK, you're right. P3ATs suck...no one should ever buy one. Even the engineers that make them think they suck.
    You've said your piece, you got your message across...now go crawl back into your hole.