Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Here are the questions answered in the link. I know how some of us are about clicking a link without an explanation.

1. Can a person prohibited by law from possessing a firearm acquire and use a black powder muzzle loading firearm?

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?

3. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a resident of the same State in which I reside?

4. How do I register my firearm or remove my name from a firearms registration?

5. Does ATF issue a Concealed Carry Permit (CCP) that authorizes a person to carry a firearm throughout the United States?

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?

7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?

8. I have been convicted of a felony. How do I reinstate my rights to possess a firearm?

9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for resale?

10. I was the subject of a NICS check when I attempted to purchase a firearm from an FFL, and I received a delayed response or a denial. Please tell me why I did not receive a “proceed” response.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Interesting read, especially about mailing a firearm to oneself. I might consider that on my next business trip. I rarely travel alone and some things I just don't want to discuss in an airport.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
This gets me to wondering about what the process / legality is of someone shipping a firearm to themselves (from one state to another) after said firearm was gifted to them by a relative. Like if I were visiting my dad back in Missouri and he wanted to give me one of his old .22's, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of bringing it back in checked luggage on a plane, would this have to go through an FFL first to transfer ownership first because I'm a non-resident of that state and THEN ship to my state of residence? Or would that be covered by some kind of "gift from immediate family" clause or something, and I could just ship it to myself "in case of" my dad's residence?

Sounds complicated, and I couldn't find anything specifically stating one way or the other. :confused:

·
Registered
462 Posts
This gets me to wondering about what the process / legality is of someone shipping a firearm to themselves (from one state to another) after said firearm was gifted to them by a relative. Like if I were visiting my dad back in Missouri and he wanted to give me one of his old .22's, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of bringing it back in checked luggage on a plane, would this have to go through an FFL first to transfer ownership first because I'm a non-resident of that state and THEN ship to my state of residence? Or would that be covered by some kind of "gift from immediate family" clause or something, and I could just ship it to myself "in case of" my dad's residence?

Sounds complicated, and I couldn't find anything specifically stating one way or the other. :confused:
Assuming your info is correct, then it would fall under #2 on that list, as you reside in a different state from your father. How the transfer occurs doesn't matter, just where the persons involved live.

·
Registered
286 Posts
What happens when you move from one state to another, say a military change of duty station, can you now legally transfer a firearm to a resident in the new state without going through an FFL?

·
Registered
102 Posts
7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?

“ handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715)”
Really? Cause I've done this several times. In fact, I have a 1911 I bought off Gun Broker, in bound, right now, that the FFL shipped USPS.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Really? Cause I've done this several times. In fact, I have a 1911 I bought off Gun Broker, in bound, right now, that the FFL shipped USPS.
I believe they mean YOU can't ship via USPS unless you're an FFL.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts