Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Once again, it would appear that the ATF (I wonder at whose instigation?) is trying to establish a "defacto" gun registration program, something specifically prohibited by law. As it, this action obviously serves as an attempt at intimidation of the gun store, as seizing their bound book would obviously (at least temporarily) stop them from selling firearms since they would not the required bound book to record sales as required by law.

Jim R

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Question......
What happens to the Bound Book at any LGS, when that LGS goes out of business?

Makes me think more about where to purchase my next gun, Gun show?, Individual?,

Jim

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Question......

Makes me think more about where to purchase my next gun, Gun show?, Individual?,

Jim
When an FFL holder goes out of business (does not apply to C&R licensee), the bound book records must be turned in to the ATF for a final review, under law. However, also under law, the ATF is prohibited from keeping that book, or making any kind of data base from the records or creating any kind of "defacto" registration list based upon the FFL records. I believe it must be destroyed within 90 days.

Purchasing a firearm at a gun show does not change the FFL/Dealer from having to record such purchase in his bound book. Same rules apply at a gun show as they would in the dealers store. Only a non-licensed individual can sell a firearm without recording such a sales, doing NICs check, etc, and then only to an individual from the sellers home state.

Jim R

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question......

Jim
It is surrendered to the ATF when the store/FFL goes out of business.:(

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I doubt the ATF can push this one very far seeing that they are trying to overstep their bounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts