At the Range with My SU22

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by shep854, Jan 10, 2009.

1. shep854

shep854 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    After some chambering issues with CCI Mini-Mags, she smoothed out nicely. 100rd of CCI, then 100 of Winchester Super-X. After the first few, everything ran fine. There were some CCI misfires, but all except 1 fired upon restrike. NO failures to extract or eject.

My main issue is with the rear sight. Even with the peep all the way to the left, I was still hitting to the right at 25 yd. If I moved the sight all the way to the front of the rail, it seemed to center. At 25 yd, my groups fired offhand in indoor lighting (with a blurry front sight :-[ ) were 4-6 in. That was me, not the rifle. As far as elevation, I need to find my M16A2 sight tool to get it dialed in. I'll call K-T on Monday to find out what can be done about the rear sight and rail.

After sighting in as well as I could, I just ran ammo through her to settle her in. By using my off-hand thumb and forefinger to guide the rounds, I was able to load the mag pretty easily.

Despite the issues, she's a keeper.

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I'm not sure what to say about the sight being off when at the back of the rail but better in the front. It sounds like the receiver isn't aligned with the barrel.

I can tell you that after 600 rounds or so, my SU-22 was broken in and was much more reliable. That's a tough time in a PLR-16 or SU-16 when ammo is 40+ cents a round, but it's only about $14 and a delightful afternoon at the range with the SU-22.

I hope you get the sight issues resolved, and I hope your SU-22 breaks in as well as mine did. I'm very happy with the accuracy and reliability using cheap Federal bulk pack, and I'm still looking forward to seeing what ammo she likes the most. My ultimate goal would be to find something that wasn't the most accurate, and wasn't the cheapest, but instead find the reliable ammo that has the smallest product of group size and cost... in other words, the most accurate ammo I can buy by the brick for a reasonable amount of money. Of course, I'd also like to buy a couple of hundred rounds of the very most accurate ammo, so I can use that when my 10/22 buddies are around. :)

3. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    It seems like she has smoothed out a lot, function-wise. With the first few mags, the first round (manually chambered) would hang up, and I would have to force it in. They fired and ejected fine, then things smoothed out. I did clean and oil her last night, BTW. Even with the waxy Super-X, she ran right along, even when I was firing as rapidly as range rules allowed. If I can get to the range tomorrow, I will try Remington Thunderbolt.

Since the rail on my SU16 was a little bit off, I was not surprised with the -22, though I was disappointed at the extent of the situation. The rifle groups well, and I'm sure K-T will straighten things out, even if it means sending the rifle in.

Actually, if they can correct the rail problem, I may send Charlotte in for some TLC.

4. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    What are these "range rules" you mentioned?
    ;D

One of the fun things about the SU-22 is the lack of recoil and the near total lack of muzzle blast, which allows the shooter to stay on target through an entire magazine of very fast fire. It's almost like having an automatic weapon... only accurate. Put a 20 ounce soda bottle upside down on a stick so it bounces around a little and doesn't move much and in a coupe of seconds it's fairly well shredded with 50 holes (half entry holes and half exit holes). The maniacal laughter can be a bit annoying, though.

Next time out, I'll take off the scope and try the iron sights. I was planning on using the rear sight at the forward most position because that's where it seems best for me (less sight radius is more than compensated by a better focus with my old eyes). I don't think I've even tried the iron sights yet, so I'll let you know about the alignment.

5. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I was shooting at an indoor range, and there has been a lot of "spray and pray" damage. There are bullet holes in the walls and ceiling within 5 yards of the firing line! Maintenence is a real headache.

Once Su Too smoothed out, the quick-fire was fun. Even if the sights are not exactly on, practice at estimating Kentucky windage is good experience. It speaks well for her that even though groups were off, they were tight.

I'm looking forward to being able to settle down and do some accuracy shooting.

6. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    Shep,

You might check out the alignment of your front sight. I have a PLR-22 that would have had the same issue, had I actually shot it. My sight was twisted to the left, from the shooter's perspective, so much so that the gas tube wasn't aligned with the barrel or receiver. Since these rifles appear to use the same front sight, this issue may occur here as well. Kel tec straightened it out. It is now almost perfect, and will probably be OK. I'm now awaiting the time to make the trip to the range and find out.

buzzsaw

7. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Good thought! The front sight appeared straight through the rear sight, but I'll take a closer look. If that's the problem, it will definitely have to be sent back.

When I first noticed the problem with the -16, I thought it might have been a molding problem. I have since read where a suggested cause of the mislaignment was receiver warping during barrel assembly. I have also seen the alignment problem mentioned on other websites.

8. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Buzzsaw, I checked my front sight and it is straight, as far as I can tell.  But then the rail looks straight, to my eye.  I just spoke to K-T, and they said to send her back.

9. buzzsaw

buzzsaw Grand Poobah Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Georgia
    If you haven't already, you might check the thread I started on the PLR-22 forum ("New PLR-22"). I posted a photo that illustrates the issue with mine. You may have to remove the forend for it to become apparent. Then, looking from the front of the gun (UNLOADED!, I put in a cable tie to hold the bolt open. Gun safety is one area where fanaticism is good.) compare the centerline of the magwell with the centerline of the front sight. Looking at my sight, I would have expected my pistol to have the same windage problem that you describe with your rifle. I believe Kel Tec uses the same equipment for both guns, and they have had an alignment issue with a press jig used to install the front sight. You might consider not sending it back until after the SHOT show is over.

It's also possible that the bore of the barrel is at an angle to the barrel as a whole. I had a gun with this problem. :eek:

buzzsaw-hope this helps, now to get mine to the range and find out if it's fixed!

10. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Thanks, Buzzsaw. Especially about the SHOT Show reminder. I may take it to the range and prepare some more brass for recycling soon. Practicing hold-off is also good shooting.

11. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Yesterday, I let another shooter look at the rifel, and he saw that the front sight was misaligned right off. As he explained what to look for, I think I saw misalignment. Either way, I'll let K-T handle it. Assuming they are able to get it right, I may send back my SU-16, since the rear sight is a little off-center, though I have the windage down.

12. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Hello all,

I got out to the range yesterday for a little while. I was there mainly to check the functions of the SU-22. I give it an A :).  I shot 100 rounds of CCI Stingers and 50 rounds of Winchester Super-X. No problems to speak of. I was shooting at 50yds. CCI Stingers were the better grouping rounds than Winchester Super-X. Here is a picture of the last magazine shot with 25 stingers rounds. I was shooting 3 round groups. I do have the rear sight off set to the left, but not completely. I ran out of time, so I will be looking at the sight alignment closer next trip. Next time I will try some Yellow Jackets rounds.

[IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g35/Cee-W/SU-22at50yds25roundsStinger.jpg[/IMG]  

13. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I got out to the range this weekend. I put 300 rounds thru SU22 with no problems. I shot Winchester 333 bulk box and some Winchester Super-X. The last time out I shot CCI stingers and Super-X. With that said, the Winchester 333 bulk shot better than Super-X. I was shooting at 25yds. I had forgotten how inconsistent 22 bullets really are. It really doesn't matter which one you shoot. Now I only had 3 FTF out of 300 rounds. that was the good. The win. 333 bulk shot straighter than Super-X on average. When it was not true to point of aim, it was off by 2 to 4 inches in any direction. Super-X and Stingers shoot high much the same. Stingers group a little better, but wind and 22 bullets do their on thing. I have rear sight seated as far back as possible and adjusted some to the left, but not all the way to left. Its shoots to point of aim if the bullet decides to go there ;D . Fun to shoot, just wish I could depend on which bullet will go straight. I will be trying Yellow Jackets next time.

14. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    I just got off the phone with Kel-Tec, and Sue Too is on her way home--hopefully I'll get her back this weekend; early next week at the latest. Compared to some others, the repair seems to have taken a while, but I don't like jiggling elbows. Considering what I'm paying for the owrk (warranty), I'm happy.

15. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    CHecked again, it looks like a Monday homecoming.

16. wmailhos

wmailhos New Member

Oct 4, 2004
    Hope to get my new SU-22 out to the range tomorrow.

It has been in the 80s here this week. Of course the day I want to get out and do some shooting it is supposed to be 29 degrees in the morning.... :(

17. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Sounds like you live in Alabama, where the weather is NOT boring... ::)

18. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    SHE'S HOME!!!

I picked up Sue Too today! While at the range, I ran 10rd at 5yd. Not much, but it was cold in there, so I'll be doing a real sight-in soon. The windage was right in there, with the rear sight centered.

19. Whodat

Whodat New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Morning all,

I got out to shoot the SU22 yesterday afternoon. I was shooting - Aguila Super Maximum Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 30 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose:

Technical Information

Muzzle Velocity:1750 fps
    Muzzle Energy:204 ft lbs

I have found my ammo of choice for the SU22 :). These babys are hot, fast and accurate. They have a sweet sound when they go bang. They also have their own smell about them. I luv it!! [smiley=evil.gif]. I shot 150 rounds and had 4 failures. Three were feeding problems and one was bad brass, but no gun damage. I shot at 50 yds. There were some fliers of course, but for the most part I can live with this ammo. The groups were 1 inch or less with iron sights. I bought 1000 rounds. I will be trying other grains Aguila 22 ammo.

Aguila Interceptor Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Round Nose

Aguila Super Maximum Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 30 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point

The next brand I will checkout as an option to use will be -

CCI Velocitor Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Plated Lead Hollow Point

Happy shooting all :cool:.

20. shep854

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    Was this your first session with your rifle? I had a few chambering issues at first with CCI Minimags, but they smoothed out. Since then, the only problems were with Remington Thunderbolt lead.