At the range FTE

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rockusa, Jul 1, 2010.

1. rockusa

rockusa New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Got about 500 down the pipe history.very clean gun.But today shot two mags,then it all went to s@#t.Did a quick cleaning no chang FTE 4 mag later all most every round(not Happy),Packed up and went home.Been to Kel-Tec once for a new slide and buff. Any Input would be great!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    replace the extractor

3. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Take a look at the extractor and make sure it's not fouled too badly. Like JFB said, it may need to be replaced.

4. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    the tip of the extractor could be broken off. just a very small part of the tip. i had this happen once to me.

5. Badman400

Badman400 Well-Known Member

Make sure you didn't drop the ejector out during cleaning. :cool:

6. All of the above, and- is it the same ammo as previously used? What brand of ammo?

7. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I'm not sure what you mean by a "quick clean." Give it a thorough cleaning, paying special attention to the extractor area and spring.

Examine it well as the others have mentioned to be sure it is not messed up.

Also, make sure your extractor spring screw is not loose at all. Give it a light turn and see if it turns in at all. If it does, remove it...put a light dab of blue locktite on the threads and turn it back in until snug. Let it sit for a bit before shooting it again.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I assume this was ammo that has previously worked fine.  Otherwise, change ammo back to something that your gun likes.  These little guns can be ammo-selective.

Next, like Diamond said, make sure the extractor screw is snug.  Even just a bit loose can cause extraction issues, and aside from switching to a previously untried ammo, this is the usual suspect for unexpected FTE in a previously reliable gun.

If the extractor screw is tight, order a new extractor, spring and screw.  This is the next most likely cause.  KT will send it out for free in about 3 days.  When you change it, make sure the firing pin is oriented correctly so that the screw hits the flat side.  Use a drop of blue locktite on the upper threads of the screw.  BTW, this would be a good time to service (clean) the firing pin and firing pin channel.  

P.S.  Even though you almost surely don't need them yet, have KT include a new set of recoil springs while they are paying for shipping.  

9. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    How does one word all of these requests to KT in order to get them free?

10. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    How does one word all of these requests to KT in order to get them free?[/quote]

Call them---ask for SERVICE, not sales---tell them what you need---they send it to ya.

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    They will send you free parts needed to fix a gun but only ask for what you need and don't get greedy.  If it is obvious to them that you are simply trying to build up a free spare parts supply, the service dept will quickly become the parts dept and they will charge you.  Even so, the parts are cheap.

12. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
  13. rockusa

rockusa New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Thank you all! I'll call KT next week.and let you know how it goes..

14. rockusa

rockusa New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    UPDATE New extractor same problem FTE,Been send out once when I first got it,12weeks later.
    Sorry to say It is a Very unreliable pistol!!

15. Badman400

Badman400 Well-Known Member

Hate to hear you're having the problems. It is a pain to send them back, but one thing is for sure, KT will make it right. It may be just a lemon. You might get a new gun with your old serial number.
    Give them a call and ask if they'll send you a call tag this time. Won't hurt to try and they may in view of the situtation. Good luck and keep us posted.

Bad thing is many will come here to post complaints, but fewer come back to give props when Kel-Tec steps up, and/or when the owner gets a flawless gun.  :cool:

16. fas111

fas111 New Member

Aug 28, 2010
    I had the same problem with mine. They sent me a new extractor which only made the situation worse. When I called to report the problem was worse than ever they asked me to send it in. No mention was made of them paying the frt. until I asked them to. They agreed and UPS was at my door the next morning to pick it up. Petty steller if you ask me. Hopefully it will work when it is returned .