At the range after long absence ...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by risabee, Aug 29, 2007.

1. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    ... I figured out why long absences are bad. After running a box through my Taurus with about 30 tens, fifteen nines, and five eights, at 75 and 50 feet, I switched to to the Kel-Tec and only even hit the target with two rounds of seven at 25 feet. :eek:

So then, of course, I got nervous and upset, limpwristed once, cleared the resulting jam, and then and only then began finding the ten ring. Towards the end of the session I was chewing up the target like I had with the Taurus. Lesson: need to get good enough to hit that well with the FIRST magazine.

After thirty rounds I noticed:

a. The feed ramp had already begun to look like an unswept chimney. :p I field-cleaned it some with a pencil eraser, not having brought cleaning supplies with me.

b. The slide began to stick. Something tells me to switch from gun oil to grease in certain places, as has been advised here.

Q.: Is there a plinking ammunition that produces less dirt than Remington FMJ?

Q.2: I'm starting to see a very few fFTFs that I associate with rapid fire. I assume this means I'm not letting the trigger return all the way. is this just about training, or are there modifications that help?

Q.3: Target re-acquisition can be agonizingly slow with Galloping Gertie. Anything that helps with this, or do I just hope to get better over time?

2. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I know WWB is filthy.

3. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Yes, I've seen that -- nice pictures!!! I have approximated it with the red and green paint, which is a help. One thing I found out from that which I did not know before was that my strong eye is my left eye, not my right -- so I'm modifying my stance accordingly.

My re-acquisition problem is that it's taking me a long time to get over the blast from the previous shot. This thing makes me the closest to gun-shy I think I've ever been. But I want to lick that because it's such an easy carry...