At the CCL range

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by huckle, Oct 17, 2010.

1. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    We were taking a 2 day extended CCL course and our little P3AT's held up great with the Glocks, a Kahr, Ruger and bunch of other larger handguns. One person there did have a P32. The instructor was initially concerned about us doing all of our shooting with the P3AT - thought it might wear our hands out eventually. But we never had a problem blowing through a bunch of ammo. We shot at 25 yards and nailed the target. At 50 yards... it took a few shots, but most folks had difficulty with their handguns at that range. We're enjoying the little P3AT more and more - glad we got the finger extension for 'em! It is a fun gun to shoot.

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Thanks for the report Huckle, it's fun to read how the Kel-Tec pistols exceed peoples expectations.  ;D  I wouldn't underestimate any pistol with sights ability to hit at 50 yard with a skilled person shooting.  I do think it shows your skill that you were able to hit the target at that distance with a P3AT.

Best Wishes:   ;)

3. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    At 25 yards I was honestly skeptical we'd hit it... but we did. At 50 yards I thought "no way". So, I was pretty pleased when we got at-least 1 round on target. We made a lot of adjustments to our shooting while at the range - helped a lot. We've got ammo that cycles well and the finger extension on the magazine is a plus as well. :)

4. taphius

taphius New Member

Jun 8, 2010
    50 yards at a CCL class? What were they trying to get you to do? lol At that range you should be running/running for cover if in a situation you would need your firearm at.

5. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    I think the 50yds was just for fun... just to see if we could do it.

6. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    In our CCW class the instructor told us about the "21 foot rule".

Evidently large numbers of LE and Prosecutors think that if a perp is farther away than that, then he's probably not a threat.

If he's shooting at me I still figure he's a threat though.

Of course when he said that I asked why we had to do some shooting at 10 yards to qualify then.

He had no answer.

7. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Shooting at 50yds was not part of our qualification - just seeing if we could do it - for fun.

8. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

That rule really only applies to someone armed with a knife. In the time it takes to draw and shoot, someone with a knife can close that distance and strike most of the time. I've never heard of it being applied to someone armed with a gun (although I wouldn't put anything past prosecutors in some places).