Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse this question. I know this has been asked many times but I can't find the replies. I've had this P-3AT for about three years. Recently, after firing 50 rounds I field stripped and lubed it. Somehow I lost the assembly pin. Kel-Tec was kind enough to send me a replacement. The problem is that the new pin walks out of the frame after 2 or 3 rounds fired. I hear a definite "click" when I insert it. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Is there a "bulge" where the pin goes in? The spring should be lying flat across the bottom of the hole. If it is not, you may need to reseat it.

Using a thin bladed screw driver, push the pin down and in until it clicks into place. This should also eliminate the bulged grip.

You also might want to check the opposite side of the frame. If this hole is wallowed out, this gun will need a trip to Cocoa.

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
1st generation gun, I assume?  This was a common issue at one time.  The pin was redesigned.  Check that the spring is in the proper position, no bow in grip, etc.  
Other info here:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/assemblypin.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The spring looks straight. There is a percepible "click" when the pin is inserted. I assume this is the spring engaging the slot in the pin. The pin is difficult to extract. I thought that was because the spring was tight in the pin"s groove. I do NOT see or feel the extra groove cut into the pin. Wouldn't Kel-Tec send me the latest design pin? What's the procedure for cutting the deeper groove? Thanks for all your help. Bill

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
The new assembly pin was designed to keep the pin from walking out. It does this by holding the spring much tighter than the ancient one that you lost. Consequently it is much harder to remove. Because it is harder to remove, it is very easy to pull the grip up too far during said removal.

When the grip is pulled up too far, the spring slips out of it's groove in the frame and keeps the grip from going down all the way. Now, the pin will click into the spring, but it is not seating all the way into the frame because the spring holds it out.

So now you have a new pin that really holds, but with the spring popped out the pin can walk out.

You must reseat the spring. After that, whenever you pull the pin, you must also maintain pressure on the grip so it cannot rise up and allow the spring to slip.

Another way to reseat the spring:

1. Unload and remove slide.
2. Mark an X on the left side of the two frame pins.
3. With a 3/32" pin punch. (Sears Companion set--$4) drive out from the RIGHT side only the FRONT frame pin.
4. Pull up the front of the frame while holding in the springs on left and right.
5. Reseat the assembly pin in its frame groove.
6. Push the frame back down and insert the frame pin from the left with the X on the outside.
7. From now on hold pressure to prevent the grip from rising along with the pin.

Packer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.