Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone seen this?

After about ~20 of 50 rounds today, the slide appeared to lock back with rounds still in the magazine. Upon inspection, I noticed that the assembly pin backed out of position enough to prevent the slide from moving forward past it.

I'm pretty certain the pin was seated until the "click".

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone seen this?

After about ~20 of 50 rounds today, the slide appeared to lock back with rounds still in the magazine. Upon inspection, I noticed that the assembly pin backed out of position enough to prevent the slide from moving forward past it.

I'm pretty certain the pin was seated until the "click".

Any Ideas?
I had that issue, ran a small file through the notch ,and at KT's direction, took a small punch and raised/bent the spring in the assembly pin upward (toward the slide). Took care of it for me although KT did send me a spare assembly pin.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Also KT said the other option was that the spring was installed upside down,but for that you have to dissasemble the frame from the grip.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
we have heard of a few that the spring were in wrong

·
Registered
14 Posts
call kel tec and get a new one with spring.
Yup. do this! I tried the "small file and bend spring up" method and even though I THOUGHT I took very little out of the groove in the pin, it was just enough to make it just a smidgen sloppy and would jam by moving ever so slightly. Got a new pin (no spring) and works fine now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I called kel tec for the same problem, they just wanted to gun back, sent a call tag. This is the third time back to the factory, so they've lost some money on mine.

I tried giving the spring more tension and cleaning up the assembly pin, didn't help.. but I didn't tell them that, they said "probably a grip flaw"..

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well looks like your going to get a new grip anyway, I'm sure they will get it right for you, look at it this way, with the amount of work KT has put in it you will have a customs tuned pistol for $300. Most company's charge 4x that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So...got the new assy pin...

Got the new assy pin and installed it. It definitely had a more "snappy" sounding "snap" when installing.

Went to the range....57 rounds no problem.

But, noticed some wear on the far side assy pin hole. Anyone see this before?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that sort of damage happens when the gun is fired while the assembly pin is not snapped in its proper place. Do you know how many rounds you fired before you noticed it had backed out?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure that sort of damage happens when the gun is fired while the assembly pin is not snapped in its proper place. Do you know how many rounds you fired before you noticed it had backed out?
Not exactly, but had fired about 20 of 50 for the session when the slide locked back due to the assy pin being out just enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had this same problem with my P-32.If the grip is bulged out near the slide stop spring the spring will come out of it's groove in the grip and your pin will walk out.If your slide stop spring is staying in place and only the assem pin is backing out I think your grip may be O.K. My fix was to file a shallow slot in the assem pin directly under the head of the pin.This will allow the spring to hold onto the pin.I think[and I am no gunsmith]that Kel Tec does not cut the groove in the pin deep enough therefore not giving the spring a chance to hold onto the pin.Don't go too deep with the filing or you will weaken the pin and it will break[as mine did on my first try].Also ,after filing this slot you will need to turn the pin before removal to get the spring out of the slot so you can pull it out.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Looks like maybe the end of the pin was not quite out of the hole when the slide returned and smacked the head of the pin.

Looks to me like it still has plenty of meat around the hole for when the pin is inserted all the way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This. Just don't bend it too much. You're just trying to get that spring to put a slight bit more pressure on the pin.
I had the same problem and this fixed it. Even if you bend it too much (upward), which I did, I just put a small pointed object into the space between the slide and the pin when I am reinserting it, push down a bit on the spring, then push the takedown pin back in. This will keep it from backing out. While complicating reassembly just a little, this takes care of the problem.

You must do it before shooting again, or the pin may come out too much and the rearward motion of the slide during firing will shear the head of the pin right off.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The frame is definitely damaged, and the assembly pin hole looks like it can no longer be depended upon to keep the pin in place properly. Eventually, this is likely to either break the pin during firing, or even damage the barrel lug. Looks to me like a call to Kel Tec is in order, and a trip back to the mothership for frame replacement.

Jim R

1 - 20 of 27 Posts