Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to LGS today looking for a HC PF9 but wound up buying a Coyote Tan instead.

Anyway while I was there the shop owner pulled out the LC9 and said "you should buy this it's better" ...realy? how so says I? he said "we have had 2 PF9's blow up and had to go back and no problems with the LC9 and we have sold the same or near the same of each"

I bought the KT PF9 anyway, I liked the way the LC9 felt in my hand better, but not only did it have some B.S. saftey features that I just couldnt live with. But also the trigger sucked arse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me. Gun dealers have been selling Rugers for a long time and KT is a relatively new brand. Bet very few have ever shot a KT.

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts
he said "we have had 2 PF9's blow up...
Hmm... I'm thinking, liar, liar, pants on fire. Frankly, if the guy is going to insult my intelligence like that, I think I'd walk and take my business elswhere.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... I'm thinking, liar, liar, pants on fire. Frankly, if the guy is going to insult my intelligence like that, I think I'd walk and take my business elswhere.
O.K. excluding the pants on fire defense :D. I do believe he is telling the truth about sending the 2 back. Now I'm sure they may have left out the part about a squib being stuck in the barrel, or a double loaded reload, or an exsclusive +p diet. What he discribed sounded like the one post we had here of the blow up, cant remember the reason

I do believe the Brand familiarity explanation makes sense. They are more into higher priced guns, but they know I am a poor boy and usually buy the working man range of guns.

I asked to look at both and showed him what I thought were the advantages of the PF9, he had to admit the safteys,the loaded chamber indicator, and the trigger pull were all disadvantages for the LC9

The only thing he would'nt budge on was that the LC9 felt better in his hand. I'll give him that.

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I first took mine to the range with my dad, we both shot the PF-9 and the Ruger LC9. I love my PF-9 for the trigger and how it felt in the hand. My dad did not. He liked the Ruger better but I found, like you said, the Ruger trigger to be horrible. It's up to personal preference, but I'd say even if you had a problem with the PF-9 reports are that the customer service at KT is fantastic.

EDIT: Not that I would know...I haven't really had a problem...

·
Registered
29 Posts
He chose the Ruger because he read both warranties. Ruger after the initial warranty is expired (think it's 1 or 2 year) is under no obligation to help you fix your gun in any way/shape/form. So if your Ruger breaks outside of the warranty period, he knows you have to come back and buy another gun from him.

I'm sure Ruger does warranty their guns after the initial warranty, but there's always that fact they don't HAVE to. That and the warranty is for the original owner only.

Now any die hard Ruger fan will just say, "Well yeah, but Ruger's never break, so who cares about the warranty?"

Most of the reading I did they chose one or the other strictly over how it felt in the hand. If a lifetime warranty isn't an issue I'd say either gun is fine but obviously one is more expensive than the other.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
It's simple, they make more money on Ruger pistols.

Naturally that makes them "better" in the salesman's eyes. Also Ruger may be offering some type of reward to them, I knew someone who sold guns at Cabela's. If he sold X amount of Ruger guns during a time frame they would give him free Ruger guns. He ended up with a 10/22 and a LCR, if I remember correctly, for free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My local dealer has a hard time keeping the LC9s. I just wish Glock made a thin 9mm similar to the PF9. I don't particularly care for the safety and loaded chamber indicator on the LC9, but from what I understand, you don't really have to put the LC9 on safe for it to be safe. I'd love to find a good home for this PF9.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My local dealer has a hard time keeping the LC9s. I just wish Glock made a thin 9mm similar to the PF9. I don't particularly care for the safety and loaded chamber indicator on the LC9, but from what I understand, you don't really have to put the LC9 on safe for it to be safe. I'd love to find a good home for this PF9.
If you could place your pf9 on trading post I'm sure if the price was right you would be able to find a home for it

I'm not knocking the LC9 in anyway,it seems like a real nice option for someone wanting a ccw, just not for me. I do Like the Kahr cm9 and would consider it a very competitive option to the PF9 if not for the price difference.

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you could place your pf9 on trading post I'm sure if the price was right you would be able to find a home for it

I'm not knocking the LC9 in anyway,it seems like a real nice option for someone wanting a ccw, just not for me. I do Like the Kahr cm9 and would consider it a very competitive option to the PF9 if not for the price difference.
+1 on the CM9. I considered it. But, based on price I'm thinking about buying another PF9 (coyote tan this time) even though I had some initial trouble with my HC. My HC must be lonely, right??? ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
i honestly think he was trying to make a few extra bucks, in adition to that the ruger name carries a little more clout in the world of firearms. for that very reason i was leaning toward the lc9 when i went to the gun shop. because the two guns are so similar i decided to try both in hand and buy which ever felt better. the PF9 felt a little more betterer. the LC9 seemed to have a concave sides on the grip, which i didnt like at all, the excessive lawyer safeties were a huge turn off too. after adding a rubber traction grp i am vrey pleased with the PF9 grip. now if i can just get it to work right...

·
Registered
597 Posts
I owned a PF9 first and had no issue with it until recently. I had my first jam recently. I bought an LC9 when they came out. Side by side, the LC9 looks like a rip off of the PF9 except the finnish and fit were better than the PF9 IMO out of the box. The LC9 has the safety and the empty mag thingie but I can deal with those unnecessary additions. As far as Ruger being a better name...heck most folks on forums I've been to hate Ruger. The PF9has always been a good shooter...pretty accurrate and other than the fluff & buff right out of the box, I shoot it as Kel Tec made it. The LC9 was not accurrate at all and I almost sent it back but after a few trips to the range, the accurracy got better but still not as good as the PF9 IMO. I think the biggie is the trigger on the LC9 but I can live with that. That being said, my regular CCW is a Springfield XD9 SC....neither the PF9 or the LC9 are in its league....great shooter even for a blind old grandpa like me. I know it costs a bit more but my XD9 with a Remora IWB is my carry of choice. I stll like the LC9 and the PF9 though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is a pretty good video on youtube.

SHOOTOFF: Ruger LC9 vs KelTec PF9 by Nutnfancy

[ame]http://youtu.be/PzhapH0CaUE[/ame]

·
Registered
718 Posts
It's simple, they make more money on Ruger pistols.
Not true. We make the same amount of profit on a $300 LCP as we do on a $260.00 P3at and same as well on a $350 LC9 as a $280 PF9. Yes they cost more at some places than we sell for but for the most part all shops sell at a set percentage over cost. Sales person may make a few $$ more if they are paid a commission but not that much more. Many people base quality on price and can't believe a low cost gun can be as good or better than something they pay more money for and then feel they need to bash a product based on feelings instead of actual experience.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here in central PA The LC-9 and the PF-9 are the same $300. I chose the Pf-9 based on size and weight. Now if I can get it to be reliable and accurate I will be pleased.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Well maybe I'm wrong about the profit in some cases but I'm quite sure they had od have a reward program like that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah... FTE, FTF, FTL, etc are PF-9 problems. Spontaneous explosions aren't among them. The salesman probably just wanted to charge you $100 for a prettier gun.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone looking to buy either gun should buy the PF-9 based on the fact that the LC9 is 90% the same design. Why give money to those hopping on the bandwagon instead of the guys driving it?

Also, for what it's worth, Nutin'Fancy and Impact Guns compared them at the range and the PF-9 was the unanimous winner.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts