Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding an Armalaser to my P3AT. I'd appreciate any information or advice. Hard to install? Practical? Worth the trouble and expense? I'd appreciate any thoughts from those who have decided AGAINST a laser sight, as well.

Thanks...

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Have them installed on 75% of the P3ATs within my control.  Just did Grandpa's Saturday. Beautiful workmanship and design (except as below).  Installation is a piece of cake - put plastic loktite on the pins.  

Don't like the design that requires activation on the LEFT side of the trigger.  It ought to be on the right side so that I could activate it with my trigger finger laying flat in the target acquisition mode.  Requires a slightly modified (for me) two handed grip that took all of about 10 shots to get used to and its now automatic, I just don't like it.

Don't like the added weight, not much, but a little and sometimes that matters.  

Don't like having to get extra/different holsters.  Tip - think about ordering the holster and the laser from K&D.  You get a bit of a discount and faster holster time - or at least you did.

But all of that said, I have them on nearly all of P3ATs and LOVE LOVE LOVE the confidence in target acquisition.  I find myself carrying weapons with it more than without it because I feel that in a stressful situation I am much safer and that BG is much less safe with it.  

Wifey won't carry without it unless she really really has to.

JUST DO IT.  You won't be disappointed.  Plus, Rick sponsors this board and his customer service is awesome (as long as you buy from him or K&D but I would not expect anything so great if you go to the cheapest ebay vendor who might not be seeling the newest design).  

-Scott

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Armalaser is the best brand for the P3, and a laser is necessary in order to perform many kinds of practice exercises. Even a simple draw requires a laser - as most ranges do not allow draw-fire exercises. If you don't have a laser, you don't practice what you need to in order to be properly prepared. So, I have a laser on all my weapons, and my P3 armalaser is just as reliable and as accurate as my more expensive Lasergrip equipped guns.

·
Registered
585 Posts
cnorman18 said:
I'd appreciate any thoughts from those who have decided AGAINST a laser sight, as well.
If you are considering a laser because you find it difficult to shoot a P-3AT accurately, consider spending the money on paractice ammo. I have one. It's in my sock drawer and has been ever since I reached a reasonable level of proficiency with normal sights.

Admittedly, I never found the laser very helpful for target acquisition, especially not in daylight when it's nearly invisible. But, that's just me. If you can't actually shoot the pistol enough to become accurate, some of the practice possible with snap caps and a laser might help.

On the plus side, the ArmaLaser comes in a nice plastic box for storage in my sock drawer. ;D

TucsonMTB . . . who is not laser guided at this time

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Good move Scott!

We have three of them on family guns. The ladies especially love them. With the laser they get on target quicker and shoot much more accurately. They may also have some intimidation value but I suspect that may be somewhat overrated.

On the down side: It always comes back to the screws. To keep them from working loose you need to lock tite them then when you need to remove them to change batteries or send the wonderful KT pistol back to the factory for repair they are a pain to get out. The problem is that the barrel portion of the screw is not slotted and depends on friction to keep it from turning as you attempt to remove the male portion of the screw and that isn't enough. I have suggested that they slot both parts in the future.

The screws are my only criticism of the Armalaser as the lasers have proven to be much more reliable than the guns they are installed on.

·
Registered
585 Posts
adamsesq said:
How about a nice crisp $50 bill for it?
Just in case you're holding your breath waiting for a chance to score a cheap laser . . . ;D

It looks nice in my sock drawer . . . but more seriously, if I decide to sell it, a local sale either on ArizonaShooting.com or to one of the guys at the Pima Pistol Club where I shoot is more likely. I prefer face to face sales. It's less complicated.

So, before you turn blue . . . exhale ;D

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
fatman said:
On the down side:  It always comes back to the screws.  To keep them from working loose you need to lock tite them then when you need to remove them to change batteries or send the wonderful KT pistol back to the factory for repair they are a pain to get out.  The problem is that the barrel portion of the screw is not slotted and depends on friction to keep it from turning as you attempt to remove the male portion of the screw and that isn't enough.  I have suggested that they slot both parts in the future.

The screws are my only criticism of the Armalaser as the lasers have proven to be much more reliable than the guns they are installed on.
I have found that plastic loktite on the pins when installing helps immensely with this. You can still punch them out later if you have to, but they really help with the turning.

-Scott

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
As someone who has at this point opted not to do it, I have four reasons:

1. Cost
2. Nullifies investment I've already made in holsters (see no1)
3. No known ankle holster for the P3AT with armalaser
4. Simplicity (one other thing that could possibly fail, and must be maintained with fresh batteries)

Now, this is not saying the armalaser would be a poor choice for anyone else...in fact, I thought it was really cool and if it weren't for the cost factor plus the holster issues I would go for it.

If you offered me a P3AT with an armalaser, plus matching holsters (pocket and ankle), or the same thing without the armalaser, I'd take the laser equipped one. But right now, I can't afford the unit, much less having new custom holsters made (the ankle one being the trickiest!).

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
nicneufeld said:
But right now, I can't afford the unit, much less having new custom holsters made (the ankle one being the trickiest!).
You could if you could get it for $50, but alas...

And the holster issues is non-issue if you use a smartcarry. Wifey pocket carries her P3ATL(aser) and therefore has a special holster. Grandpa took my K&D Laser holster so now I make the choice - pocket = no laser, smartcarry = laser.

-Scott

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
adamsesq said:
so now I make the choice - pocket = no laser, smartcarry = laser.
Yeah, if I had the coin to get a second P3AT a laser would be a good option...that way, a laser-equipped pocket holstered one vs a standard ankle holstered one.

Of course, I could just stick the laser on my PF-9! ;D

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The holster solution I use with the Armalaser is -

1. Pocket carry - Unkle Mike's  - just cut the thread that separates the tab from the main pocket. This makes room for the laser.

2. Ankle carry - "Silent Partner" (http://www.politesociety.com/ankle.htm) -just cut the thread that narrows down to the muzzle. This leaves a flexible square pocket for the gun. My Kahr PM40 (also with an Armalaser) fits in this same holster. Here it is in the car...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.