Arma Laser for the P3-AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by uniongap, Oct 12, 2009.

1. uniongap

uniongap New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Peachtree City, Ga
    I went to the Arma Laser site that supports this forum. I liked what I saw and ordered one for my p3-at. Has anyone else installed this laser on their p3-at? Any tips would greatly appreciated. The  video was an eye opener dropping it 100 times and no failures on the laser, it did not mention what it did to the gun!  :)

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I like mine. It's supposed to turn itself off in 12 seconds if not activated. If it stays on it is telling you it is time for new batteries. The directions probably tell you this , but I forgot and thought I had a malfunction after about a year.

3. Rich62643

Rich62643 New Member

Sep 5, 2006
    I have had both the Arma Laser and the Crimson Trace on the P32 and P3AT. No problems with either one, but IMO I prefer the CT, although a little more pricer.

4. uniongap

uniongap New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Peachtree City, Ga
    Thanks for the heads up on the batteries. I should be getting mine first part of this week. It says 5 min install. I like easy! :D

5. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I loved my armalaser! I had to sell it due to money issues (I'm a poor teacher and we found out we were having twin girls). Anyway, it helps with no printing in the "gun shape" and it came on as soon as my finger went inside the guard--which, for a gun that you're going to pull out and use quickly, is a good thing. I tried the CT, but it added too much to the grip and felt cumbersome, like it through my grip off or something. I love the revolver CTs with the little button. Anyway, I can't recommend armalaser enough--I kinda want to get one for my PF-9 (either the big one or the pricier small one), but will probably have to wait for the tax refund. ;o)

6. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I got one when I got my P3AT last year. I also like the way that it helps with the gun printing like a wallet. It also makes the gun a bit easier to hold onto to me. I like the point and shoot accuracy that it gives since most encounters happen at <20ft from what I read. The only thing that I find a pain is the limited availability of holsters that will fit it. I had to return the one I originally bought after only a couple of months because it died, but they exchanged it with no problems whatsoever.

7. Celtic_Warrior

Celtic_Warrior New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    I sent Rick, at Armalaser, an email last week asking about green lasers for the unit and he responded as follows:

Hi,
    Yes, we are planning to have green versions of our models by the Spring of 2010. Just an FYI, FDA regulations do not permit laser systems to be brighter than 5 mW. Our current red laser systems are 4.95 mW. So whether it is red or green it will most likely be just as bright due to this law. But we will have them available by then. Please let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with. Thanks.

The FDA does limit the output of lasers, for civilian use, but green is at the opposite end of the light spectrum and much easier to see in brighter light and you can actually see the beam. (Almost all of the videos of the red laser are in smokie rooms so the beam is visible.)

Advantages:
    : Slightly increased visibility in daylight due to the color green being easier for the human eye to pick up
    : Tends not to mute against dark targets, (i.e. the color black) as much as red
    : Green is easier for the human eye to see, on the color spectrum green lasers are around 532nm, red lasers 633nm, perfect optimal for the human eye is 555nm which is still in the green color band

But with the good comes the bad.....

Disadvantages:
    : 10x less battery efficiency
    : Green diodes are effected greatly by temperature variations (appears weaker when cold or hot)
    : Green diodes are more fragile
    : Green lasers have terrible laser splatter in low light, green light is easier for the eye to see in all forms, not just a dot but the splash as well
    : The beam itself is visible in low light, one nice line from shooter to target
    : Green illuminates your surroundings in low light, laser splatter & reflection of the green laser off your gun is that much more dramatic
    : Green lasers are still pretty expensive

8. uniongap

uniongap New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Peachtree City, Ga
    Just got my Armalaser today and installed it. The install took more than 5 min. The pins and the s brace holes are very close tolerances. It took a little persuasion to get the pins in the brace. After that it was a piece of cake! The laser works great, sighted it in on my wall at about 15 feet. I will take it to the range for further tweaking. The only thing I see so far that is not to my liking is the smaller trigger hole, My finger is a little fat so I have a tight fit. ;)

9. Celtic_Warrior

Feb 15, 2009
    My hands aren't all that big and I had the same problem, mainly because I was putting my finger in up to the 1st joint (which is not the correct way tho shoot). I have trained myself to use the tip of my index finger with great results. Just hope when the time comes I'll still do it.

If your finger stops the trigger from returning fully forward drops the hammer off the hammer block resulting in a light strike or No Bang. See this thread http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1254953868/9#9

10. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I'm not a big fan of lasers. I personally find the distracting and prefer to use my sights. YMMV.

As for the ArmaLaser, I had one. It gave me trouble (aim point could not be adjusted) and so I returned it and asked for a replacement. The replacement would not hold zero under recoil so I returned it for a refund. Most have had better experiences. A friend who has a CTC laser on his PF9 has been very pleased.

11. Celtic_Warrior

Feb 15, 2009
    Mine has a small problem sometimes. Under rapid fire burst2 shots and repeat, it shuts itself off. The "on" position of the switch is forward so under the acceleration and G forces of a shot that energy pushes the switch to off. I sent Rick an email on this and he said that it was the first time he had heard of the problem. It's a simple fix reverse the switch.

As for losing zero I haven't really checked. I know if I put the red dot on the target at 15 feet or less the target gets hit and with the P3 that's about all I ask. The closer the target the better the hit, it would be unreasonable to expect 3 inch groups at 10m.

12. DaveTec

DaveTec New Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Hi, I'm new here, but stumbled onto this thread and thought I'd share my experience.

I bought my p3at and all they had in stock were the armalasers. The first time the gun went bang, the light went off and never came back on. I returned it the next day and they swapped it out for me for a CT laser. (I've got CT's on all my other guns including a PF9).

Works flawlessly, as all my other CT's do.

Other considerations:
    1. I don't like the light on all the time. Gives a BG a target to shoot back at.
    2. Battery life would be suspect with the 10 second on each time.
    3. Makes folks at the range awfully nervous unless you keep the barrel end down range for 10 seconds after each and last shot
    4. reduces the already small trigger hole
    5. does not work with gloves
    6. holster fit issues

I'm a CT fan. Get the CT.

13. uniongap

uniongap New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Peachtree City, Ga
    I went to the range today and sighted in my Armalaser. I found that you only do the movement only a little. If both need adjustment do the elevation first and then the windage last. If you do that the laser stays put when fired. It took me about 25 rounds to get it set. I shot another 50 rnds and the laser stayed put. I like the instant on and do not mind that it takes 12 seconds to turn off, not having a switch to worry with makes up for the extra seconds for it to reset. By the time it is reseting it is back in my pocket anyway. This has taken the worry out also to not have to take aim at the BG!    ;D BTW it comes with a great fitting holster for free now that makes it look like a wallet in your back pocket!

14. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    I have an Armalaser on my P40, and it works very well.  I took it off when I sent that gun to KT for a late break problem.  During the six weeks it was gone, I decided to put it on my P11.  When I did, it quit working, so I contacted them and they told me to send it to them.  It came back a short time later working like new, so I put it aside until the P40 came back, and they are now happily rejoined.  Before that, I held it up to my P3AT, and found that the gun could no longer reside in my jeans' watch pocket, so I found a Crimson Trace at a good price, bought and installed it on the little fellow.  Fits nicely where I like to carry since it has a slimmer profile at the business end of the gun.  It is MUCH easier to install, but lacks an on-off switch.  The P3 being so small, almost any handling with my hams turns the laser on, not a good thing.  The laser beam is the same on both, so you takes your choice and pays your money.

15. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Got an ArmaLaser on my one of my P3ATs that I primarily use for pratice/training. I think it is a great tool for that purpose but am undecided about using a laser on a carry gun. However, if I were to put on my carry P3AT I believe I'd give the CT a try. I've carried my lasered P3AT a number of times and a few times discovered later that I had it switched off. I'd hate to have learned to depend on the laser and find in a situation that I had it turned off. :'(

Take care...