Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are you guys certain about the CMR-30s feed ramp being plastic? I've been thinking about ordering a MCarbo stainless replacement, but decided I would takedown my rifle and take a look first. I tried to cutting the outside of it with a hobby knife, but couldn't really touch it. It's non-magnetic . . . looks like anodized aluminum. Maybe KelTec switched to a metal one for the CMR? Maybe it's just the PMR that has the plastic feed ramp?

After reading a number of threads were folks sent in the CMRs to KelTec and had them returned with replaced feed ramps, it wouldn't surprise me if they did switch to metal to try and minimize customer service issues.

Larry

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummmmm . . . i don't think so . . .

Part 205 on my rifle is either some sort of super incredibly hard polymer, or it's black anodized aluminum. As I said before all my hobby knife doesn't touch it.

Larry.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just ordered a PMR feed ramp from KelTec, as they didn't have one for the CMR. Once it get's here I'll take my hobby knife to it.

Larry

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ummmmm . . . i don't think so . . .

Part 205 on my rifle is either some sort of super incredibly hard polymer, or it's black anodized aluminum. As I said before all my hobby knife doesn't touch it.

Larry.
Your hobby knife wouldn’t touch the MCARBO stainless either. Hornaday CD put light gouging / scratches on the stainless and gouged a pit in the clearly plastic OEM (with help). I believe it is the same zytel(sp ?) used in the frames. Regardless it is dyed black throughout.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The equivalent part for the PMR was only like $8, plus a couple bucks first class shipping. I'll be able to compare the materials once it arrives.

Larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Part 205 is the feed ramp and is a hard polymer. It's a bit brittle and mine developed some chips in it when a broken firing pin made some shells load crooked.

I replaced the factory ramp with a MCarbo steel ramp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, it's plastic. My $8 replacement came today and it's definitely plastic. Looks like there's an MCarbo one in my future.

Larry

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yup, it's plastic. My $8 replacement came today and it's definitely plastic. Looks like there's an MCarbo one in my future.

Larry
+1 can recommend. Any CMR / PMR that will shoot HP ammo or is expected to get a 'high' round count should get this in my opinion.

Please note that the CMR requires permeant modification to the breach to install. However the resultant geometry has dramatically improved reliability for me, and with the harder steal no worries of damaging the feed ramp from use to the point it dramatically affects function.

The plastic alignment piece at the end of the bolt spring / guide rod, and the buffer in the grip need more durable parts as well. At least I would want to give replacements a try... thinking a bit more the buffer being consumable hasn't been too bad, but after ~3k rounds mine is showing wear / tearing and in need of replacement. That isn't too bad, but on the lower side of what I would like to see. The plastic alignment bit is just too frail, with mine cracking almost instantly but then just kinda trucking along none the less.

·
Registered
300 Posts
So I asked MCarbo and they said that at this time their PMR30 feed ramp does not fit or work on the CMR30. However from reading this, am I understanding correctly that they are wrong and it does fit and work on the CMR30 ??? I am so confused now. Please help. Thank you and God Bless !!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I asked MCarbo and they said that at this time their PMR30 feed ramp does not fit or work on the CMR30. However from reading this, am I understanding correctly that they are wrong and it does fit and work on the CMR30 ??? I am so confused now. Please help. Thank you and God Bless !!!
MCarbo has taken down the photo from their website where they showed people how to modify the CMRs trunnion. Maybe they intend to come out with CMR specific version of the feed ramp. Or maybe they thought that telling people to grind on the trunnion was a bad idea.

Larry

·
Registered
300 Posts
MCarbo has taken down the photo from their website where they showed people how to modify the CMRs trunnion. Maybe they intend to come out with CMR specific version of the feed ramp. Or maybe they thought that telling people to grind on the trunnion was a bad idea.

Larry

Larry I asked MCarbo if they were or planned on making one for the CMR30 and they said no, not at this time. Did anyone have a copy of the pictures for people that want to try this on their own ??? Thanks and God Bless !!! :)

·
Grand Poobah
1,381 Posts
I installed one in my CMR-30 back when they "still fit." I haven't done anything to the trunnion. It looked pretty awkward to do without further disassembly. There are two corners that peek out on each side of the feed ramp, maybe about 1 mm. These do not protrude with the stock feed ramp and are what is (was) to be filed off. I haven't shot mine yet. Maybe today, if I can get my butt in gear. If they cause jams, or gouge the bullets, I will either file them off, or put the stock ramp back in. Before the upgrade, my CMR ran just fine. My purpose in installing the ramp was to upgrade to a more durable part in case parts get unavailable.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
300 Posts
I installed one in my CMR-30 back when they "still fit." I haven't done anything to the trunnion. It looked pretty awkward to do without further disassembly. There are two corners that peek out on each side of the feed ramp, maybe about 1 mm. These do not protrude with the stock feed ramp and are what is (was) to be filed off. I haven't shot mine yet. Maybe today, if I can get my butt in gear. If they cause jams, or gouge the bullets, I will either file them off, or put the stock ramp back in. Before the upgrade, my CMR ran just fine. My purpose in installing the ramp was to upgrade to a more durable part in case parts get unavailable.

buzzsaw

Please keep us updated on how it performs. Thanks and God Bless !!! :)

·
Grand Poobah
1,381 Posts
I just got back from the range. 20 rounds of CCI Maxi-Mag 40 gr JHP ran perfectly, as fast as I could shoot it. Speer 40 gr Gold Dot Short Barrel did not do well. Failures to feed with the nose hitting above the chamber and also short-stroking. One round even suffered bullet setback. Old Fiocchi (box was marked $5.01) 40 gr jacketed soft point, made in the Philippines, probably by Armscor, shot well until the gun jammed open. It looked like it had locked back on an empty magazine, but the magazine was not empty, and the bolt was not being held by the bolt catch. I pulled it back a bit further, and it felt gritty and it stayed back. It would not go forward. By it's design, you can't push the bolt forward with the operating handle.

When I got it home, I took out the takedown pin and pulled the grip off. I pulled the bolt out with no trouble. I put it back together and it seems fine. I didn't see any foreign matter in the area where the bolt moves, or scratches that could have been caused by this, or anything fall out of it. I don't know what caused this strange stoppage, but I don't think it was related to the feed ramp.

As far as the parts of the trunnion that protrude beyond the feed ramp are concerned, they are now shiny, looking like little silver triangles. Cartridges don't seem to be snagging on them or leaving metal. On the contrary, it looks like just shooting the rifle will cause these to wear down to where they need to be. Since the feed ramp is harder than the trunnion, this wearing should stop as soon as it's level with the ramp. Even if I went back to the stock feed ramp, I don't think this wear would be an issue.

I am going to clean the action thoroughly, examining it again for any obstructions and evidence of whatever bound it up. I plan to leave the metal feed ramp in, and shoot it some more. I had never shot the Gold Dot in it, but it was handy, so I grabbed some. It's not loaded for rifles, and I normally shoot it in a North American mini revolver or a Single Six.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just got back from the range. 20 rounds of CCI Maxi-Mag 40 gr JHP ran perfectly, as fast as I could shoot it. Speer 40 gr Gold Dot Short Barrel did not do well. Failures to feed with the nose hitting above the chamber and also short-stroking. One round even suffered bullet setback. Old Fiocchi (box was marked $5.01) 40 gr jacketed soft point, made in the Philippines, probably by Armscor, shot well until the gun jammed open. It looked like it had locked back on an empty magazine, but the magazine was not empty, and the bolt was not being held by the bolt catch. I pulled it back a bit further, and it felt gritty and it stayed back. It would not go forward. By it's design, you can't push the bolt forward with the operating handle.

When I got it home, I took out the takedown pin and pulled the grip off. I pulled the bolt out with no trouble. I put it back together and it seems fine. I didn't see any foreign matter in the area where the bolt moves, or scratches that could have been caused by this, or anything fall out of it. I don't know what caused this strange stoppage, but I don't think it was related to the feed ramp.

As far as the parts of the trunnion that protrude beyond the feed ramp are concerned, they are now shiny, looking like little silver triangles. Cartridges don't seem to be snagging on them or leaving metal. On the contrary, it looks like just shooting the rifle will cause these to wear down to where they need to be. Since the feed ramp is harder than the trunnion, this wearing should stop as soon as it's level with the ramp. Even if I went back to the stock feed ramp, I don't think this wear would be an issue.

I am going to clean the action thoroughly, examining it again for any obstructions and evidence of whatever bound it up. I plan to leave the metal feed ramp in, and shoot it some more. I had never shot the Gold Dot in it, but it was handy, so I grabbed some. It's not loaded for rifles, and I normally shoot it in a North American mini revolver or a Single Six.

buzzsaw

Thanks for the update. Please let us know if you shoot the Gold Dot. I am still considering installing the metal MCarbo feed ramp in my CMR30. God Bless !!! :)

·
Grand Poobah
1,381 Posts
The Gold Dot does not like to chamber in that rifle. After I cleaned and put it back together, I attempted to chamber a round of it, and it wouldn't go in, and the case was dented. It's like it jumps out of the mag too soon. Other rounds don't do that.

I was hoping to make a quick range trip after work, but a small plumbing emergency cropped up that needed a makeshift fix until the plumber can fix it right.

buzzsaw

1 - 17 of 17 Posts