Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always believed that magazine springs have to be affected by keeping them fully loaded all the time, but all I've ever heard is statements by people who always keep their mags loaded and never saw any change in performance. This article's findings is more in line with what I believe happens to magazine springs. Note the author doesn't conclude that loosing 5 or 10% spring tensions is a problem, just that it happens.

https://loadoutroom.com/28854/worried-keeping-mags-loaded/

Tom

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'll take a shot at it. First we are talking about quality magazines with proper heat treating........as I understand it the springs are not stressed by the static condition of remaining compression or relaxed. It is dynamics of loading and unloading that degrades the properties of the spring.
The examples of people firing magazines that had been left loaded for many decades with zero issues are legion. I leave magazines loaded with no concerns of it unduly degrading the reliability.
If someone buys crap magazines all bets are off:D

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I always believed that magazine springs have to be affected by keeping them fully loaded all the time, but all I've ever heard is statements by people who always keep their mags loaded and never saw any change in performance. This article's findings is more in line with what I believe happens to magazine springs. Note the author doesn't conclude that loosing 5 or 10% spring tensions is a problem, just that it happens.

https://loadoutroom.com/28854/worried-keeping-mags-loaded/

Tom
This gets debated at least once a year, everywhere.
The one thing that is never said: YES, YES they do lose tension. It's expected, and designed into the mag spring with a lot of overkill in spring tension. Ask anybody who has manually stuffed the last round in a Glock mag:tu::eek:.
Then look at the tension on the last round in a 'happy-stick', it's almost nothing compared to the last round in a regular mag and it's still plenty.
Metal suspension springs on every car will lose tension with years of use too.
Look at new cars; it looks like there's a jack under them.
You think military forces leave their mags laying around empty before gametime?
Yellow Line Font

Nope. They stay fully stuffed and they rock&roll.
So the answer is: yes they do lose tension, and no it doesn't matter.

@Terry: If you're not in CA you can come out of the bunker now.

·
Registered
631 Posts
This gets debated at least once a year, everywhere.
The one thing that is never said: YES, YES they do lose tension. It's expected, and designed into the mag spring with a lot of overkill in spring tension. Ask anybody who has manually stuffed the last round in a Glock mag:tu::eek:.
Then look at the tension on the last round in a 'happy-stick', it's almost nothing compared to the last round in a regular mag and it's still plenty.
Metal suspension springs on every car will lose tension with years of use too.

Look at new cars; it looks like there's a jack under them.
You think military forces leave their mags laying around empty before gametime? View attachment 33210
Nope. They stay fully stuffed and they rock&roll.
So the answer is: yes they do lose tension, and no it doesn't matter.

@Terry: If you're not in CA you can come out of the bunker now.
Thanks! forgot to plug in the refrigerator so all the beer was warm so was going to have to come out for a cold beer run anyway

·
Administrator
32,172 Posts
Note the author doesn't conclude that loosing 5 or 10% spring tensions is a problem, just that it happens.
On some level, a brand new spring, never installed in a mag but kept in a drawer, looses some strength over time. I mean, eventually, it will decay into dust. But it is well established that a spring doesn't too much care which static position it is stored in. Cycling a spring is what tends to wear down it's strength.

·
Registered
5 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts