Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(This thread will cause my ex-wife's blood pressure to rise the next time she lurks to read my posts.:p Wait, did I say that out loud?!?!:eek:)

I'm always on the lookout for a deal. Why? I don't have any money. That said, anytime I need/want something, I spend a great deal of time tracking down the best deal I can find. That has earned me the monicker of a cheapskate.:confused:

At any rate, I've been bouncing the idea around in my head about getting an AR-15. I know NOTHING about them other than there seems to be more brand snobbery in AR circles than there is in the world of handguns. Of course, as is always the case with forums, there is plenty stuff to wade through. I realize that there are plenty of reasons to build your own. In that vane, I've ordered several AR-15 books in order to research that possibility.

I'm looking for a complete rifle at this point, though. The price of some of these guns run high to ridiculous. Of course, there are some that are more reasonably priced. I found a DPMS for $586.00 the other day. http://dpmsinc.3dcartstores.com/SPORTICAL_ep_136-1.html This one has a smooth upper frame geared more toward hunters however the lower is a standard AR lower that will accept any upper. It does not have a chrome lined bore but that is only needed with corrosive ammo anyway.

I know I'm asking for opinions and that some will say "yea" and others "nay." But, a guy's gotta start somewhere. Does anyone have experience with DPMS and their line of evil black guns? ;)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
While not in the "Cadillac" range of AR-15s, DPMS is a solid, quality maker of AR-15s and parts for AR-15s. I have used their parts (especially uppers) for years and have never been disappointed in the quality and service. DPMS uppers and lowers are forged, not cast (though I have not seen any particular issues with cast uppers and lowers either) so if you can find a complete DPMS AR for under $600 I, for one, would not hesitate to buy it if I were in the market for another AR.

Building (actually, this is more just "assembling") an AR-15 can be fun, and it certainly lets you put together an AR that is exactly what you want), but this, I think, is best when you are thoroughly familiar with the rifle, how it works, how it should work, etc. Doing a lot of reading can help here, but for a first experience with the AR, I think it is better to buy a complete rifle (and get the warranty to go with it) than try to assemble one.

ARs are great fun, and a great home defense weapon as well, so if you are looking down that road, I wish you well with whatever you choose. I think you will enjoy it immensely.

Just for information, although there are a host of companies selling ARs under their brand names (CMMG, Olympic Arms, DPMS, and many others) there really are only a handful of actual manufacturers of AR uppers and lowers. DPMS is one of those companies that actually make their own uppers and lowers. Others (not the biggies like Colt, etc) have the actual maker of these parts stamp the appropriate company name etc on the uppers and lowers and then assemble them with their own (or purchased) parts and sell them.

Jim R

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
While not in the "Cadillac" range of AR-15s, DPMS is a solid, quality maker of AR-15s and parts for AR-15s. I have used their parts (especially uppers) for years and have never been disappointed in the quality and service. DPMS uppers and lowers are forged, not cast (though I have not seen any particular issues with cast uppers and lowers either) so if you can find a complete DPMS AR for under $600 I, for one, would not hesitate to buy it if I were in the market for another AR...
Big +1.

I have used quite a few DPMS parts, uppers, and complete rifles over the years and have only had one single issue, and that worked itself out with use.

My DPMS varminter...

Two of my DPMS complete rifles from the ban years (since de-neutered)...

The now-discontinued DPMS Super-Bull upper...

Oddball DPMS lightweight build...

DPMS upper on one (the lower one) of my "KISS-Dissys"...

My DPMS .308s...

:)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
sounds like a good price, you did well. No expert but I would jump on that while its available, its hard to find a new ar for under $700 or so, most are closer to $1000.

My understanding is that anyone can slap the top and bottom together with no trouble but to build from the small parts will cost you some money in tools, and is often more expensive in the long run unless you build more than one.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I think most mil spec rifles are pretty much the same, as long as the writing is'nt too ugly on the reciver. Well thats what the gunsmith that writes for sgn said. I belive it.

I know you could'nt tell the defference between my Cheap kit rifle from my buddy's bushmaster, other than the writing on the lower. the upper was the same.

I think the only stuff that really matters is the bolt and barrel oh and a good trigger group, the rest is just window dressing.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
My LGS has the DPMS Oracle, with forward assist and dust cover, for $595.00 +tx.

My neighbor is gonna bu one this weekend.

My LGS told me yesterday, that he has sold over 400 of these , and not one has come back for any problem, and no bad feedback from any of them.
He also sells the S&W M&P15 and has had some problems.
Thats what he says , I dont know ,cuz I dont have either one (YET), still mulling them over.

Jim

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
My 2 cents. DPMS and the majority of second tier (Bushmaster, Olympic, CMMG, Double Star, DelTon, etc.) are often fine for plinking at the range, but I wouldn't ever think of using one as a personal protection rifle. Unstaked or poorly staked castle nuts and gas keys, inappropriate buffers tubes, sub par metals, and other short cuts lead to the manufacture of rifles that are perfect for putting a couple hundred rounds downrange a year, but will set you up for eventual failure.

Every local gun shop clerk loves to try and sell these rifles by claiming they're mil spec, this is a bald faced lie. The closest you can get to a mil spec rifle is a Colt, period. Only Colt (and soon Remington) have the military's technical data package which specifies the requirements for mil spec. Others can come close, and a few others can exceed these standards (S&W, BCM, Noveske, LMT, Daniel Defense), often for only a few hundred dollars more. Colt 6920's are often found for about $1000, where the majority of the entry level AR's are $650-850, and have taken major cost cutting steps to do this, and fixing their shortcomings will often take you right back up to the price that a Colt would have cost you in the first place.

I have a DPMS rifle and it's just fine for going to the range and using as a loaner gun, or backup if my Colt goes down on a training course. But when I go to work, I take my Colt. I'm not hacking on anyone's personal choices, but there is a definable, empirical difference in the quality between the two You just need to ask yourself what you intend on doing with your rifle, and what you expect it to do for you.

YMMV

·
Registered
27 Posts
DPMS is just fine.
I used one of their lower recivers and a Del-Ton parts kit to assemble my last AR15.
It is just as reliable as my AR that has a pony on the reciver.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
we have one of the M&P models (there are several, at least 5, maybe 10 combos?). No troubles at all from it, pretty much dead on at 100, 200 yards. Maybe 1500 rounds through it, mostly at 3 gun. But it was a good $800 out the door so it was not a super bargain price. But that is one example of one model, I wonder what sort of problems and if its a certain model or the family, etc? All I know is I like mine, which also means it works.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the S&W Sport model which is their cheapest AR-15 clone. It has at least 5000+ rounds through it, mostly reloads and mil surplus ammo. No misfires, no FTF, no FTE, just gobbles up the ammo. I've had Colts, Armalites, etc. and they all have just worked.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Love mine.

IMHO forward assist is a horrible idea. I have no need for a dust cover or chrome barrel. Good value and works as advertised.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here is my DPMS,
. After upgraded to a free floating handguard and a smoother/lighter trigger, it prints an half inch 3-shot group at 100 yards with cheap PMC ammo. Have more than 1,500 rounds through it, not a single problem function wise. I like the DPMS upper without dust cover/forward assist.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
@ biozzcz, that a trjicon optic or the isreali one? I am running the trijicon on mine. I like it . Nice big field of view no toilet paper tube effect.
Hijack off.

Note to o.p. a magpul B.A.D. won' t fit on this upper. No big deal for me but it might be for you.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@ biozzcz, that a trjicon optic or the isreali one? I am running the trijicon on mine. I like it . Nice big field of view no toilet paper tube effect.
Hijack off.

Note to o.p. a magpul B.A.D. won' t fit on this upper. No big deal for me but it might be for you.
Eric, I'm such a novice to the AR world I have no idea what "a magpul B.A.D." is.:(

·
Registered
428 Posts
A buddy of mine told me he saw a DPMS AR .223 in the local Wal-Mart the other day for $398. I called Bulls*@t but he swears he did. Haven't had the chance to stop in but when I do and if they actually have one for under $400 I think I'd buy it. I know a few guys that have DPMS AR's and they like them just fine. That a whole lot cheaper the the pony stamped rifle. I wouldn't mind making it a truck gun for that price. That less then I gave for the SU16..

·
Registered
428 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_in_Nola
Hijack off.

Eric, I'm such a novice to the AR world I have no idea what "a magpul B.A.D." is.:(
"a magpul B.A.D." is":
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G02WjXBmoss[/ame]

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Bad helps with the reloading manual of arms. An after market add on. I am indifferent to it but some think it is better than sliced bread.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Being left handed i can already reach the release with my trigger finger.

A ambi mag catch is what i need, why they have to cost so much?!?!?!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts