Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a S&W M&P SPORT 2 AR 15 and I used some hot perfecta .223 ammo at the range and while I was cleaning the bolt carrier group I noticed the firing pin had some tiny chips or cratering on the tip my question is should i get another s&w firing pin or are aftermarket pins ok?? I have a mil-spec colt and a nibx boron coded pin but I had a bad experience before with aftermarket firing pins on a sks so I wanted to ask first before I go to the range and use a firing pin that is not original to my rifle.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've never had a problem with the .223. The newer stuff in 9, and 40 are really loaded hot. I have personally had it shred the jacket and leave chunks of it on the table in front of me. If you fire it in a hand gun it leaves gold flakes in the mechanisms.

A range in Florida banned it in .40 after separate KB's in a M&P, and a Glock. I always buy the .223 IF I can find it. Then stumbled on this guy.............

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuhCQDP5Ojs[/ame]

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
I've had problems with Perfecta in .40 S&W. Absolutely WOULD NOT chamber AT ALL in my full-size M&P, and my Glock 40 MOS with conversion barrel was reluctant to chamber it (kept having to smack the underside of the mag to get the slide to go forward the rest of the way ... really weird).

Never had any problems with it in 9mm and .45 ACP that I can recall. I have some in .223, but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

Are you sure those "chips/cratering" weren't already present on the firing pin beforehand? Might just be rough casting. Firing pins for AR's are cheap and super easy to replace. When in doubt ... replace and move on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe it was the perfecta that did that to my firing pin it was way too hot and probably over pressure I wont ever use it again in 223 thats for sure I replaced my firing pin with a nibx boron coated pin but l like perfecta 45 its the cheapest brassed cased ammo in 45 kinda hot too but I noticed in 9mm its pretty mild compared to other fmj range ammo

·
Registered
255 Posts
I believe it was the perfecta that did that to my firing pin it was way too hot and probably over pressure I wont ever use it again in 223 thats for sure I replaced my firing pin with a nibx boron coated pin but l like perfecta 45 its the cheapest brassed cased ammo in 45 kinda hot too but I noticed in 9mm its pretty mild compared to other fmj range ammo
The 9 rips the jacket off the bullets in my experience unless you have some of the older stuff. Lots of muzzle flash. You will see gold flakes in your receiver/lower. I have dropped pieces of the jacket on the table in front of me more than once. A range in Florida has banned their 40 as it has blown up at least 2 different guns. A Glock 23, and an M&P 40

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the SW Sport II is a fantastic gun. Espeically for the price. But considering the price and what I know. SW did skimp a little here or there on parts, in terms of metal quality. So I always say it's a good idea to have spare parts , especially for high use guns. I'd go ahead, and get a quality mil-spec or better part from someone else.

·
Grand Poobah
1,429 Posts
Are the dents in the fired primers clean, or smoked up? Holes in primers is one common pressure sign. I have some 9 mm from a reputable manufacturer that is not Perfecta, but either is hot or has thin primers. In my SUB 9, holes were being punched in the primers and this caused a crater to appear on the tip of the firing pin. I stoned it back smooth, and it did it again. This might be gas cutting, and not chipping. That ammo is fine in other guns, and other ammo is fine in the SUB 9.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
685 Posts
this really sounds like you are having pierced primers. any other over pressure signs like the primers being really flattened or extruding into the firing pin hole around the firing pin? all it takes is one piercing and the hot gas will erode the tip of the firing pin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.