Approx. Manufacture Date

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Mike1234, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and acquired a nice used P3AT just a few days ago.

I've been searching and I'm aware that the only way to get the exact manufacture date of my gun is by contacting Kel-Tec.  No problem but I'm an impatient old cuss and want my answer right this very minute.  :p

The serial number is HJ3 XX.  Obviously, the X's are the last two numeric digits.  If I'm not mistaken this would make the manufacture date at approximately mid 2005, right?

Thanks in advance and HAPPY 4th of July!! :)

Mike

p.s. Anything in particular I should look for regarding manufacture or damage issues? I haven't shot it yet but it cycles Hornady XTP's very nicely with manual racking. BTW, I'll be switching to Hornady Critical Defense... did more research after I already bought the XTP's so I'll just use these at the range.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG
    here is an old post, at the time yours was made, KT was averaging about 200 p3at/day if you want to make a SWAG
    If you click on the "posted by", it will take you to the post discribing KT numbering (also in the FAQ/VIP thread)

3. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Wow... that was quick.  Thank you!!  So it looks like mid 2005 is about right.  Maybe sometime between June and August. It's good to know I'll not likely have any problems with it.

So far, I really like this little gem. However, I prefer a full grip so I ordered the new 9 round extension clip.  With the standard 6 round clip this little thing can be carried to and from my car/house (Texas is a Castle state) in the little top front pocket of my blue jeans (the upper one intended for keys and such) and just the grip sticks out.  I cover it with my shirt and it's essentially invisible.  We'll see how it fits with the longer grip... I may need buy a pocket holster.

4. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    That will give you a good guess, but...don't you want to know when it was really made? Email the mother ship using their online form and they will reply back with in a couple days.

And I hate to always be the one to play the Picture Police, but will are required to post pictures on this site or face the consequences. :D :)

5. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Pics added... sorry for the lousy quality...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    I didn't noitice until I took the last photo above but the front of the pistol has ever-so-slightly more separation between the frame and the slide. The photo, due to the angle at which it was taken and effects from focus distortions, greatly emphasizes this. It's actually just barely noticible... maybe 1/64" on the left side and 1/32" on the right and it seems to be all at the front of the frame.  In other words, the frame seems just a tiny bit twisted and lowered at the front. It makes sense that distortions could occur there as it's the thinnest area.

I could probably adjust it with a little careful help from a heat gun and hand adjustment but I don't want to do that unless it's a problem. I suspect this is a common issue with these lightweight polymer frames.  Anyone know??

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    just get a small rubber band and put around end of barrel and frame grip  ;D

btw...NICE photos

8. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Or I could use a very small balloon and slip it over the end like a (you know what) but that it would catch all the bullets rendering the pistol... umm... ineffective. ::)

9. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Aaaaaahhhhh, thanks for the pictures. And nice job. It looks nice laying against that black backdrop. :cool:

I wouldn't worry about the slight separation. And trying to correct it by twisting it could cause problems if you misaligned the slide supports section of the frame.

10. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks for the compliment but the images are rushed hack jobs and, unfortunately, that shows. :)

Regarding the frame warpage: My concern is that it will become worse over time.  I don't think there's enough pressure exerted on the slide to affect shooting accuracy or cause any mechanical failures.  I guess it just bothers me a little. If I'm careful to keep the heat localized to the front and only use the minimum temperature required I shouldn't cause any harm to the frame.  But I've been wrong at least one other time in my life.  Fortunately that mistake was corrected with a divorce. ;)

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Regarding the slight difference in grip to frame fit. That is not terribly unusual. I'd leave it alone if the gun works fine unless it obviously gets worse and becomes a problem.

12. Mike1234

Mike1234 New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    I guess you're right.  Why risk actual damage when this is only a cosmetic issue and barely noticeable when viewed from the side.   That image really does exaggerate it's actual appearance.

EDIT... I've been paying close attention to photos and videos of the P3AT and most, if not all, of them seem to have the same issue so I guess it's normal for this model and or brand. :)