Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've got a question or two about appendix carry.
I usually carry my P3AT in a pocket holster whenever possible. When I wear jeans, though, I can't. My jeans are definitely not tight and even when I wear my larger size jeans that I use for IWB carry the gun/holster prints too badly IMO.
So.....I read about appendix carry but I guess I'm not certain of exactly where this is. Do any of you carry in this manner and if so do you find it more comfortable than 3 or 4 o'clock strongside?
I'm always interested in different carry techniques but I'm afraid I just might have too big of a gut to pull this off!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If it's a problem why do you wear jeans?

Seriously, you need to change brands or size or don't wear them if you want to carry your pistol.

Now, to your other question. I've never heard what you've described called "appendix carry", but I do understand what and where you mean. Seems to me a P3AT could be carried almost anywhere on your belt as long as you have a cover garment.

I carry a .45 ACP Colt Commander size IWB just behind my strong side hip. It's about the 3:30-4:00 position. The grip hides easier with the grip/holster canted forward and that's the way the holster is designed. It's a Rosen ARG. I also use a Rosen Gun Belt. Both a good quality holster and a good quality gun belt are keys to successful carry as I've described.

I carry a P3AT as a backup in my rear pocket (K & D 2 'n 1), so I can't really suggest an IWB method or holster. There are a few here who carry IWB, so maybe they can offer suggestions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hutch.
I wear jeans frequently because I've got more jeans than I do khakis/cargo style pants and shorts. I'm slowly modifying my wardrobe with concealed carry in mind. I spend too much money on ammo to have much left over for clothes :) !
I want to be able to get the most versatility out of the clothes I have right now, I'm not self disciplined enough to set aside cash for pants (I enjoy going to the range to dang much).

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Dogman38 said:
I spend too much money on ammo to have much left over for clothes :) !
Now, that is being smart. Ammo is infinitely more useful than clothes anyway!
(Unless you're in public)

It's pretty late tonight. Some of the IWBers will come along later with some suggestions, surely.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dogman38 said:
I read about appendix carry but I guess I'm not certain of exactly where this is.
If you are right handed, it is where your Appendix is (or where mine would be if I still had one); in front of your hip. It's easy to conceal a small handgun there. Of course, the Appendix carry for a left handed person is nowhere near their Appendix :)
The funniest description of the location I've read is "it places the pistol between my love-handle and my pot belly"......amen to that.
I carry the P3AT in my right front jeans pocket (Levis 505) in a Nemesis daily with no problem. What might look to be an obvious print to you, is normally unnoticed by Joe Public. Most people are not looking to see if everyone around them has a pistol in their pocket. Concealed carry means "reasonably concealed", not "undetectable by any amount of scrutiny". Jack

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The funniest description of the location I've read is "it places the pistol between my love-handle and my pot belly"......amen to that.
LOL, unfortunately that drescribes me perfectly!
I'm sure you're absolutely correct about me being overly concerned with the printing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
jackstinson said:
I carry the P3AT in my right front jeans pocket (Levis 505) in a Nemesis daily with no problem. What might look to be an obvious print to you, is normally unnoticed by Joe Public. Most people are not looking to see if everyone around them has a pistol in their pocket. Concealed carry means "reasonably concealed", not "undetectable by any amount of scrutiny". Jack
+1 The hardest thing to get used to when carrying concealed is getting over the idea that everyone is looking to see if you are carrying. When I first got my license, I was extremely self-conscious. Now I sometimes forget I'm carrying concealed. I also use a Nemesis in my right front Jeans pocket (Lee Riders).

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
+2
Everyone is much more paranoid about printing then they need to be.

Almost no one looks at your Equipment or your crotch for any length of time.
Sure a wishful glance from only the most beautiful women, and some men, I suppose.
But they aren't looking for the outline of a gun!

99.999999% of folks you meet wouldn't recognize the outline of a little holsterd P3AT if you hit them up-side the head with it.

rcmodel

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
[quote author=rcmodel link=1187152746/0#7 date=1187199000...99.999999% of folks you meet wouldn't recognize the outline of a little holsterd P3AT if you hit them up-side the head with it.

rcmodel[/quote]

+1

I wish I could dress in my profession so that I could use appendix carry. Unfortunately, I wear a tucked in shirt. I believe that appendix carry gives quicker access to your weapon in time of need.

I carry my P3AT in the right front pocket of my dress khakis or jeans, in an Elite Survival Systems pocket holster.

I can also carry the larger PF-9 or even the P-11 the same way, and I've never been "made" carrying either weapon because of the "print". I too was self-concious in the beginning, but gradually realized that no one is looking.

I have even carried my XD-45 in a Fobus paddle after IDPA with just an open over shirt, and no one noticed. The fear that someone will "know" you're carrying is mostly in your mind. :cool:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Dogman,

I don't think you are crazy. I don't like carrying my P3AT in my jeans pocket either. I am too old to like baggy jeans and those that fit just don't have enough room for me to comfortably carry a pistol, no matter how small, in my pocket. YMMV.

I ended up buying a Galco USA tuckable IWB holster for my little buddy. It works quite well for me. I usually wear it slightly to the left side - weak side for me. My appendix exploded shortly after my 40th birthday. Ended up in the hospital for a week. I also ended up with a bit of nerve damage at the incision site so appendix carry for me is irritating. I've also done a bit of carrying at 3:30-4:00.

My $0.02 worth,
Checker4Tix

·
Registered
562 Posts
Badman400, you say appendix carry gives you fast access.  As Lynnrd Skynnrd said ... "You got that right, you sho' got that right!"  Most of the time my P-3AT is a pocket gun, but when I'm going to be driving or otherwise sitting down for long periods, I carry IWB in the appendix position.  I love my Grandfather Oak Kydex holster -- super light, super comfortable, and super fast on the draw! (Got a G.O. for the P-40 too -- same deal -- very comfortable and quickly accessible!).

Regards,
Lynnsky

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I don't know if any of you are familiar with Suarez International, but Gabe Suarez teaches gunfighting and force on force. Check out his site here to learn more about what different students say about appendix carry. http://www.suarezinternational.com/
and the forum here: http://www.warriortalk.com/ Maybe this will help you with your decision.

I am not on the Suarez payroll, and haven't even taken any of his instruction yet. But after reading many accounts from his students and trying the appendix draw for myself, I do feel that is the fastest access and the fastest draw, both of which I will need to come out on top in a SHTF situation. YMMV :cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dogman38,
I live in Houston and I carry my P3-AT in a Bianchi #6 IWB, Midway sells them for $18.49. I use the #821-512 (RH) which is for a Beretta 950 Jetfire. I was carrying the Beretta before I got the P3-AT, tried the holster, and it works for me with a T-shirt. You can find these holsters at some of the large sporting goods stores and some of the gun shops. There is also a 6D that has thumb break if you need more security.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
rman said:
The hardest thing to get used to when carrying concealed is getting over the idea that everyone is looking to see if you are carrying. When I first got my license, I was extremely self-conscious. Now I sometimes forget I'm carrying concealed. I also use a Nemesis in my right front Jeans pocket (Lee Riders).
I tried open carrying my little P32 once (there's a thread about that adventure around here somewhere) and no one seemed to notice when it was right out there in plain sight! Made me much more at ease concealing and carrying, even if it does print a bit.

I tried the appendix position with my Don Hume JIT slide and it looked like I had an alien trying to bust out of my stomach, so strong side hip for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input everybody, I'm interested to see what my experience is with this form of carry.
I have a High Noon IWB (Split Decision I think) that I'm going to try out for appendix carry, I think it should work find.
I just have to see if my physique ::) will allow it!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I know a lot of folks don't like this idea, but I carry my 3AT using the belt clip in my back jeans pocket. Looks like a folding knife. Been there for 2 years and never been made, even by friends when I've asked them to pick it out. I don't wear loose jeans, but not even close to tight :cool:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
canoeswamp said:
Here is an interesting appendix carry holster.

http://www.pagerpal.com/

You can also search for "pager pal" to find other pictures of the holster.

Their wallet holster looks like it would work well also.
I have one of these and HATE IT >:( If anyone wants to try it out, pm me, I'll give it to you if ya pay shipping. Just promise not to send it back ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I carry in my left front pocket, nowhere near my appendix :). I am not to the potbelly stage of life yet, but I am close...Most of the time I wear relaxed-fit Levis. Not huge, or baggy, just right. I quit wearing tight jeans in high school.

I carry EVERYWHERE like this and never a problem. Drawing in the vehicle is not a problem, as I have the P-11 in the door pocket ready to go, hidden under a piece of cloth.

You always need more than one....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.