Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you have read in other threads, I've been having a bit of an issue getting things repaired in my apartment.

I moved into this complex in April of 2009, and I've loved it here. Great neighbors, low crime, awesome rent, within 5 miles of EVERYTHING I need, etc. In July of 2011, I moved from my upstairs 2 bedroom, to a downstairs 3 bedroom, which made it even more awesome!

Unfortunately, around that same time, the maintenance person quit, and we've gone through at least a dozen people since. I found out from the last guy, when I saw him in town the day after he quit, that the complex wants one person who is HVAC certified, certified plumber, certified electrician, general handyman/carpenter, pool guy, carpet guy, etc., and will only pay $10 an hour. Yeah... you're not going to come close to getting someone to stick around for that. Most have lasted about two weeks, before simply quitting.

This puts a strain on any repairs that are needed. And by a 'strain', I mean a SERIOUS strain.

In July of 2011, when I first moved into the 3br, I reported a busted bedroom door. NINE MONTHS LATER, it still isn't replaced or repaired and will not close/open.

The busted door was again reported on 1/4/2012, on 3/20/2012, on 3/26/2012, on 4/16/2012, and again on 4/18/2012, and has yet to be repaired.

On 3/20/2012, I also reported a leaky faucet in the master bathroom. Leaking at a rate of 1 gallon every 9 minutes, 25 seconds. FOR FIVE WEEKS! (if you round that up to 1 gallon every 10 minutes, that's 5,040 gallons of water wasted, so far, because they haven't made requested repairs). I'm glad I don't pay for water here.

The leak was again reported on 3/26, 4/16, and 4/18, and has yet to be repaired.

On 4/16/2012, I also reported that my oven had stopped working. It actually stopped working the week before, but from the previous repair issues I've had, I decided to fix it myself. The oven temp will only get up to 180 degrees, and that's only if I turn it all the way to broil. This isn't even enough to cook a frozen pizza, so I ordered a new upper element myself and replaced it. It still did not resolve the problem, so I took it back out, returned it, and reported it to the Apt Manager.

It has now been FIVE DAYS since I reported it, and I'm STILL without a working stove.

On 4/18, I contacted the Apt Manager, spoke with her, and finally used my "stern daddy voice". Obviously, she didn't like this at all. She told me that she would have someone out first thing in the morning, on 4/19, to make all the repairs, then hung up on me. At 13:00 on 4/19, I started calling her. She will not answer the phone when I call and has yet to return any of my calls.

They have a "sister" apartment complex, owned by the same people, and bring over their Maintenance Person for repairs.

At this point, since the Alabama Landlord Tenant Law does not have provisions for withholding rent, starting a 'Rent Escrow' with the court system, and they have flat refused to let me make the repairs and take that money out of my rent. In other words... I'm stuck.

I have taken my ONLY option and sent them a certified letter, explaining in detail all the repairs that need to be made, the portion of the lease that I signed that details repairs, the portion of the Alabama Landlord Tenant Law that pertains to repairs, and a copy of the complaint I filed with the BBB. At best, this gives them 14 days (after receiving the letter) to make the repairs, or they default on my lease and any deposits made.

I will then have 60 days to find another place and vacate the apartment. Once that's complete, I 'can' sue for moving expenses, move in expenses, fees, and deposits for the new place, and if they have not returned all deposits made to them, they will be added as well.

This is NOT a route I want to take. I'd simply prefer that they come fix the three things that are wrong with the place, and we both go along with our happy lives.

I have been here for years, currently have one of the most costly apartments in the entire complex, have had zero complaints for the entirety of my being a tenant with the complex, and I have never been a single day late on paying rent. I also do all the 'little' repairs myself, such as clogged drains, broken plugs, etc., instead of calling for maintenance for every small detail... so you'd THINK they would want to keep me as a tenant.

I now have a bedroom no one will sleep in because they door won't open/close, a bedroom no one CAN sleep in because of the sound of the dripping faucet from the attached bathroom, and I can't even cook myself a meal unless it's straight out of the microwave.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Cy

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
As some of you have read in other threads, I've been having a bit of an issue getting things repaired in my apartment.

I moved into this complex in April of 2009, and I've loved it here. Great neighbors, low crime, awesome rent, within 5 miles of EVERYTHING I need, etc. In July of 2011, I moved from my upstairs 2 bedroom, to a downstairs 3 bedroom, which made it even more awesome!

Unfortunately, around that same time, the maintenance person quit, and we've gone through at least a dozen people since. I found out from the last guy, when I saw him in town the day after he quit, that the complex wants one person who is HVAC certified, certified plumber, certified electrician, general handyman/carpenter, pool guy, carpet guy, etc., and will only pay $10 an hour. Yeah... you're not going to come close to getting someone to stick around for that. Most have lasted about two weeks, before simply quitting.

This puts a strain on any repairs that are needed. And by a 'strain', I mean a SERIOUS strain.

In July of 2011, when I first moved into the 3br, I reported a busted bedroom door. NINE MONTHS LATER, it still isn't replaced or repaired and will not close/open.

The busted door was again reported on 1/4/2012, on 3/20/2012, on 3/26/2012, on 4/16/2012, and again on 4/18/2012, and has yet to be repaired.

On 3/20/2012, I also reported a leaky faucet in the master bathroom. Leaking at a rate of 1 gallon every 9 minutes, 25 seconds. FOR FIVE WEEKS! (if you round that up to 1 gallon every 10 minutes, that's 5,040 gallons of water wasted, so far, because they haven't made requested repairs). I'm glad I don't pay for water here.

The leak was again reported on 3/26, 4/16, and 4/18, and has yet to be repaired.

On 4/16/2012, I also reported that my oven had stopped working. It actually stopped working the week before, but from the previous repair issues I've had, I decided to fix it myself. The oven temp will only get up to 180 degrees, and that's only if I turn it all the way to broil. This isn't even enough to cook a frozen pizza, so I ordered a new upper element myself and replaced it. It still did not resolve the problem, so I took it back out, returned it, and reported it to the Apt Manager.

It has now been FIVE DAYS since I reported it, and I'm STILL without a working stove.

On 4/18, I contacted the Apt Manager, spoke with her, and finally used my "stern daddy voice". Obviously, she didn't like this at all. She told me that she would have someone out first thing in the morning, on 4/19, to make all the repairs, then hung up on me. At 13:00 on 4/19, I started calling her. She will not answer the phone when I call and has yet to return any of my calls.

They have a "sister" apartment complex, owned by the same people, and bring over their Maintenance Person for repairs.

At this point, since the Alabama Landlord Tenant Law does not have provisions for withholding rent, starting a 'Rent Escrow' with the court system, and they have flat refused to let me make the repairs and take that money out of my rent. In other words... I'm stuck.

I have taken my ONLY option and sent them a certified letter, explaining in detail all the repairs that need to be made, the portion of the lease that I signed that details repairs, the portion of the Alabama Landlord Tenant Law that pertains to repairs, and a copy of the complaint I filed with the BBB. At best, this gives them 14 days (after receiving the letter) to make the repairs, or they default on my lease and any deposits made.

I will then have 60 days to find another place and vacate the apartment. Once that's complete, I 'can' sue for moving expenses, move in expenses, fees, and deposits for the new place, and if they have not returned all deposits made to them, they will be added as well.

This is NOT a route I want to take. I'd simply prefer that they come fix the three things that are wrong with the place, and we both go along with our happy lives.

I have been here for years, currently have one of the most costly apartments in the entire complex, have had zero complaints for the entirety of my being a tenant with the complex, and I have never been a single day late on paying rent. I also do all the 'little' repairs myself, such as clogged drains, broken plugs, etc., instead of calling for maintenance for every small detail... so you'd THINK they would want to keep me as a tenant.

I now have a bedroom no one will sleep in because they door won't open/close, a bedroom no one CAN sleep in because of the sound of the dripping faucet from the attached bathroom, and I can't even cook myself a meal unless it's straight out of the microwave.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Cy
Sounds like you have done all you can legally with your complaints. Is the complex owned by a larger national or regional corporation?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Is it not allowed in your contract/lease to do the repairs yourself and have it taken off the rent? Just an idea, it's what I do with my landlady.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sounds like you have done all you can legally with your complaints. Is the complex owned by a larger national or regional corporation?
It is owned by a larger company, who I have also called, repeatedly, and the only thing they will say is that they "will look into it".

Is it not allowed in your contract/lease to do the repairs yourself and have it taken off the rent? Just an idea, it's what I do with my landlady.
As stated above, they have flat refused to let me make the repairs and take that money out of my rent or to reimburse me in any way.

Cy

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:

The BBB complaint got some wheels rolling. Just got off the phone with the people in Atlanta, GA, who own the complex. They stated that they had received the complaint, apologized for the 'inconvenience', and said they have hired an outside electrician to come by and fix the stove. While on the phone with them, he knocked on the door. Hes in there fixing the stove now.

Now if I can just get the door and the leaky faucet fixed.

Cy

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 'outside electrician' took a look at the faucet and the falling apart door and immediately called the owners and advised that they have to be repaired soon and should have been fixed long ago. They are both code violations. The Apt Manager then called me to discuss them and said "The way I understood it, they were not that bad. I'll work to get someone out to fix them."

Now let's see what happens.

Cy

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Is the apt. manager a blind idiot? The photos clearly show a damaged door! How much evidence does she need to understand that is bad?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the apt. manager a blind idiot? The photos clearly show a damaged door! How much evidence does she need to understand that is bad?
Oh... she knew. Not only has she seen the photo's, but I've explained the problems, in great detail, more than a few times. That's just her 'excuse' for not already having them repaired. In other words... crap's hit the fan and she's scrambling to cover her own tail.

Cy

·
Registered
459 Posts
BOY AM I HAPPY.
I live in a senior citizen CO-OP.
Called in this morning, that my heater made a lot of noise.
By 3 this after noon it was replaced and working.
no charge.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry you are having that problem. I suspect a letter from your lawyers might do the trick too. They have a legal assistant do that work so the cost is cheap.

I would have taken that door off myself and either marched it up to the managers place or repaired it myself with epoxy and glue clamps. I love fixing stuff and do it all the time for friends in apartments. But realize thats not a solution to your situation.

You need to retrain the owners and it sounds like you are getting the job done finally. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In the future, you could also try contacting code enforcement, or whatever name it goes by in your location. They tend to get landlords moving.

For me, I have the type of landlord that'll help you move a couch into your apartment.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction. I vote for a "new" manager.

I was going to suggest that "Code" enforcement be your next stop. But sounds like the "right" folks finally know about the issues.

So what you going to "cook" for dinner?

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Plumber is here to fix the leaking tub faucet (which is now leaking at a rate of 1 gallon every 8 minutes) and a "general contractor" came by to 'fix the door'.

He took one look, laughed, then measured it and said it'd have to be replaced. He hopes to have a replacement door here later this week.

Cy

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So... Apartment Update:

Contractor installed the door frame Tuesday, but the door didn't fit, was going to shave down the door and get it to fit, but was painting the frame first. I pointed out that he may want to get the door to fit first, and he realized I was right.

He was supposed to come back Wednesday, and didn't show, was supposed to come back yesterday (Thursday), and didn't show.

Last night I chisled out the space for the hinges and mounted the door. Had to redrill the striker hole and fill the one that was already in the frame with wood putty, and then beat on the frame with a 2x4 to actually get it square, where he did NOT.

Today I'll be sanding it down and painting it myself today... I just need to trim 1/2 inch off the bottom of the door, and 1/8 inch off the side to make it fit.

I'm just working on finding someone with a truck and a table saw they'll let me use for a bit.

Cy

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Seems like finding good craftsman is getting difficult. My son ordered a custom french door for his house. The store, starts with Lowes, sent out some one to measure. Door came in two and a half inches too narrow for opening. They wanted my son to allow the installer to install the door and put up wide molding to cover the gap. He said no, fix the door. That was a week a go and he is still dealing with them over this. The mill work company they used said they could not build a door unit like he wanted. It would seem to me that a good custom millwork company could make any thing you needed. The installer seems to be knowledgeable in how to correct the solution, but he also has to deal with the store. Two or three years ago, I would have done the installation my self, and made necessary corrections. Age and injuries seem to have slowed my work habits.

Life is short, be happy
Jack

1 - 20 of 33 Posts