Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the belt clip mounted on my P3AT, it just came loose while firing, perhaps needs some locktight? Anyone else experience this?

7.62FMJ

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Many people have reported that the clip comes loose after firing, and it is recommended to use Loc-Tite. From what I have read in the forums, most people recommend the blue (non-permanent) variety, but it may require re-application every now and then. I used red (permanent) Loc-Tite on my P32. I guess if I ever wanted to remove it I'd be screwed (pun intended), but I don't see any reason to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think most become loose after so many rounds or so. Mine does after every now and then. Like syndil said , most use the blue loc-tite. So far I have just tightened it back up, no big deal. Get a good hex wrench though, not the one that came with it, and do not over tighten, I hear you could crack the grip or could cause lite strikes on your round for some reason.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I followed your advice, used some Blue Locktight, should be good to go! Seems pretty tough but will let it cure a few hours. I'm itching to go shooting with this thing again. These little pistols are fun when they run.

7.62FMJ :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Mine's been fine....  'Course there's Loctite available on the workbench, if necessary.  :)

When I bought the gun one of the counterkids talked me into the clip.   Then he proceeded to install it for me.  However, he decided that the best way to do it was to drive out the old pin.  From the wrong side....  :eek:

Oh well....  It works, and the new pin can be used to replace the original if the clip gets boring.

There is one problem here in OH.  I can walk around with a BUG in my pocket or wherever, without problems, courtesy of my CHL.  However, if I'm in a vehicle it must be locked in something (long story), or in a holster that I'm wearing.  (Pocket holsters are acceptable, but....)  Makes the clip a little iffy.

We are blessed with criminal and terrorist friendly legislators....  :-[

Regards,

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
SMMAssociates said:
There is one problem here in OH.  I can walk around with a BUG in my pocket or wherever, without problems, courtesy of my CHL.  However, if I'm in a vehicle it must be locked in something (long story), or in a holster that I'm wearing.  (Pocket holsters are acceptable, but....)  Makes the clip a little iffy.
Must be in a safe holster...hmmm... I am not a fan of any state sponsored must do's, but it sure sounds like this one aint a bad one.

-Scott

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here is the text of the revised law passed in mid-March:
"(1) Manner of transporting a loaded handgun in vehicle. Law retained in part by the act prohibits a concealed carry licensee from knowingly transporting or having a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless the loaded handgun either is in a holster and in plain sight on the person's person or it is securely encased by being stored in a closed, locked glove compartment or in a case that is in plain sight and that is locked. A violation of this prohibition is a felony of the fifth degree. The exemption described below in paragraph (6) of this part of the analysis applies to this prohibition. The act modifies this prohibition by prohibiting a licensee from knowingly transporting or having a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless one of the following applies: (a) the loaded handgun is in a holster on the person's person (holster no longer required to be in plain sight), (b) the loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun (new), or (c) the loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed, locked glove compartment or in a case that is locked (case no longer required to be in plain sight). Under the act, a violation of this prohibition remains a felony of the fifth degree. (R.C. 2923.16(E)(1), (F)(1), and (I).)"

I had never thought about it before but I guess the clip would be out. You can now put your pistol into a center counsel box between the seats if it has a latch. Sometimes laws can suck but this is much better than what we had for the first two years in Ohio. We used to have to lock the pistol in the glove box every time we drove. Now we can atleast keep our concealed weapon concealed. ???

·
Registered
101 Posts
adamseq:

Does't say "in a safe holster"....  Just "a holster" and "on your person".

The idea is that it not be tucked under the seat, between the cushions, or otherwise loose.   So it's got to be in something.

However they didn't include "in a pocket"....  Not a lot of help for a guy who wants to tuck a P3 in his hip pocket and the clip isn't considered a holster either.  (A "pocket holster" is fine but kind of redundant with a little P3-AT as a BUG.)

(Likewise, you can't tuck it in jacket pocket or something like that.  Nobody knows if a zipped or snapped pocket counts as a "container" within the new or old definitions.)

It makes sense in general but it also pretty clearly indicates that the original legislators didn't understand, and the folks who voted for the revision (for which we are thankful) didn't quite think it through either.

"Plain Sight" (thanks for the quote Dave) was a great "instant make felons out of law abiding citizens".  We now have a similar craziness with notification.  The criminal and terrorist friendly folks snuck that one in on us....

Could be worse....

We can tuck a BUG into a console or other container in the vehicle.  Remembering it is a major problem though - if you leave a non-CHL family member in the vehicle they may be committing a felony once you get out of the car!  (We think that taking the keys is sufficient, but....)

Oh well.... Didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Regards,

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
SMMAssociates said:
 (A "pocket holster" is fine but kind of redundant with a little P3-AT as a BUG.)
You are right - it doesn't say a safe holster.  I was taking it one step further saying that being in a holster makes it safer.

Just so people reading this thread know, there are a lot of people that agree with your parenthetical above but there are also a lot of people who disagree with it.  Check back through a search of threads regarding the clip to see further discussion, but many believe that even when using the clip that a pocket holster is not redundant at all and in fact should be used to protect the trigger.

It happens to be one of my
issues.

-Scott

PS - Even with blue locktite I have lost mine in less than a few magazines but now they seem to stay on through about 12-15 magazines. The difference is that I am not snugging that bolt up pretty tight with a good allen wrench - not the POS that came with it. But others have had problems with over tightening.... YMMV.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Adamsesq,

it seems as though you are just hunting the posts to put in your two cents about clip carry. We get your point. Holster carry works for you. Clip carry does not.

You are getting borderline annoying. >:(

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Dan-O said:
Adamsesq,

it seems as though you are just hunting the posts to put in your two cents about clip carry.  We get your point.  Holster carry works for you.  Clip carry does not.

You are getting borderline annoying. >:(
Thanks for your input Dan-O. I don't hunt for anything, I read all of the posts in the areas of my interest. Please feel free to disregard any of my posts that you desire.

I have NEVER said Clip Carry doesn't work. If you think so you have not been reading my posts very well. And anytime its mentioned I will point out that not everyone agrees and direct people to past threads. If the questions continue I will answer them. I do not want new readers later coming along and reading a thread saying clip carry by itself is okay and not also seeing that there are people who do not think so as well. Having both sides in front of them allows them to at least realize there are questions that they should answer for themselves.

If you don't want to be annoyed at my posts, again, please feel free to disregard them at your leisure.

-Scott

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
+1 Adamsesq. KTOG gets new members all the time and many of them ask similar questions. Clip carry, FMJ v HP, HC v parked. The majority of these questions are personal preference issues, but the clip carry issue has the potential (however slight) of being a serious safety issue. I know from past questions how Adamsesq is going to reply to these threads and I'm not going to get upset because he sees a safety concern in a particular style of carrying, just like I won't get upset when certain people post their standard answers on the FMJ v HP issue every time it comes up.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The qustion at hand was, "Anyone use the beltclip?". Not, "give me your opinions on whether it is safe to carry this way or not".

You have made it very clear that you do not want to carry this way. Fine.

For those of us that do carry this way, and like to carry this way, and feel certain that we are not going to shoot ourselves or anyone else this way, let us answer these "newbies'" questions about it.

A good friend of mine once said that the most important, and only fool proof safety on a gun is the one between the ears.

What's the point of shoving your gold plated gat into a stuffy holster anyways? Gotta let it breath and give off the "bling bling". ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Opinions Eh? You want opinions? ;D

To be honest, I really prefer a real holster (even the "pocket" variety), or just stuck in a pocket.

However, the little P3-AT is so small that "sticking" it to a pocket isn't a bad idea at all.... I'd prefer not to carry it tucked in my waistband that way, unless I was wearing a sweatsuit. (Which is pretty much why I bought the thing, outside of BUG duty. The mutt used to want to go outside at 0-dark-30. He got a doggy door and I got a P3-AT....)

The other major reason to have the clip is dependent on what sort of holster I have for the gun. Sometimes it's extremely inconvenient to re-holster. At that point clipping the gun to a handy waistband or pocket is a very useful idea....

A friend of mine makes a thing called "Covert Carrier" - sort of a Handall with a belt clip attached. My first reaction was "this is a good way to hurt yourself". We testdrove one on a PPK/S, waiting until just about the end of the range session, in case somebody had to go to the hospital. Not bad.... Again, a way to quickly "secure" a weapon that might otherwise be buried in some sort of two-hands-to-reholster carry.

(I have no connection with these folks, other than a free sample and some correspondence. It works well enough within it's limits. The KT clip is longer and probably more secure if that's the only "holster" you're using.... It's also cheaper. Just don't let the counterguy at my favorite gun shop install it for you....)

Regards,

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Dan-O said:
The qustion at hand was, "Anyone use the beltclip?". Not, "give me your opinions on whether it is safe to carry this way or not".
The original question is irrelevant. Many folks read these threads and a great many of them are newbies to firearms. I generally reply to these threads too as I believe the clip only carry is unsafe as well. Whether you like it or not I will voice my opinion each and every time the subject comes up.

I am fully aware of the trigger pull weight of the P3AT, but I think the pistol belongs in a holster. It is basically in Condition 0 and there are too many protrusion in an average daily life as well as fingers that forget when in a hurry.

In addition, a holster provides dust and lint protection as well as holding the pistol in a predictable position for immediate access.

The tired Gluckism cliché that "the safety is between your ears" just won't hack it in this Forum.

Carry with the clip only if you want, but not around me. There are plenty of choices in inexpensive holsters that it doesn't make sense to carry with an unprotected trigger....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.