Anyone tried a Holdster?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RCACFBilly, Jan 16, 2009.

1. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Has anyone got one of these or tried one? I have been looking at them for quite a while and made no decision. They seem like a good idea for pocket carry and would greatly reduce printing in the pocket.

Here is the link to see what they are.

http://www.artofthehide.com/index.html

Billy

2. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    These have been around for a while and seem like a good idea. The only thing that I am not sure about is whether they are legal in every state.

3. heavyvino

heavyvino New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Just me but I would want my trigger covered.

4. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    According to the web site they are legal as approved by the ATF.

"The FTB-BATF classified the Holdster design as
    non-any other weapon (or not a wallet holster)
    primarily because it is "readily discernible as a
    weapon" due to the exposed slide. As long as it
    isn't modified to conceal the weapon over the slide
    it is legal to own and use in conjunction with a
    semi-automatic pistol without falling in the AOW
    classification."

5. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    If you are happy to carry in condition 3, it seems safe to me.
    If you like to have a round in the pipe, then I'd avoid it. That's just me.

6. JB

JB Guest

I thought the whole purpose of having a holster in your pocket was to reduce the chance that the trigger could be pulled accidentally.  Like others have said, that exposed trigger would be a concern, for me.  Maybe not a bad idea for a pocket auto with an external safety that you are going to keep engaged, anyway but I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying my P3AT in one (in fact, I don't think I'd want to carry in one even if I had an external safety.)

Besides that, with the size of my hands proportional to my pockets, I have a hard enough time getting anything out of my pockets quickly, as it is (even a cell phone, pocket knife or whatever.)  Not that I have Goliath hands or anything, my hands are just pretty wide (palms are almost square.)  It's enough that I am considering no longer pocket-carrying my primary, even when the primary is the P3AT.  With something like the Holdster on it, I'd have to fumble so much to present the weapon that I'd probably be about as well off not carrying, at all.

7. cherry911

cherry911 New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Aside from the exposed trigger I would be worried about it interfering with the slide operation.

8. RUSTYSHACKLEFORD

RUSTYSHACKLEFORD New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Could be mistaken, but I'am pretty sure these are not legal in Texas. Seems like it would interfere with the operation of the gun. I would use a nice IWB, before i used this.

9. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Can you be specific about what makes it illegal in Texas?

10. 2manytoyz

2manytoyz New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Other opinions aside... I have one.

Printing IS an issue when I'm wearing shorts, which is most of the year.

It does not interfere with the slide.
    It does not interfere with access to the trigger.
    Considering I carried without any sort of holster for years, a trigger guard isn't an issue for me since this is a double action only weapon.

Notice the opening in the case is slightly wider than the trigger guard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the case doesn't touch the slide.

[​IMG]

No printing, no contact with the slide, no restriction to the trigger. Well made, it was exactly what I was looking for. YMMV.

11. shurshot1

shurshot1 New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    2manytoyz....Yeah, it loooooks great but.....your hands appear small enough to quickly get into the trigger guard. I have short, fat hands and it looks like I might have a bad time trying to find the hole(s)!! ;) Furthermore, I use a +1 mag cap and wonder if the Holdster interfers any with mag insertion?
    Cheers, Shurshot1

12. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    2manytoyz,

Thanks for the reply. I wanted to hear from someone who actually had one of these.

I do carry with only the belt clip in my back pocket sometimes and I feel like the P3AT shows a bit too much. I usually use a concealment concepts Leather Wallet Holster but it shows at the top of my back pocket in blue jeans. It works great with my shorts which have slightly deeper pockets.

I am still considering one of these.

Billy

13. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I use the clip and I also use a pocket holster.  When I got my p3at I read tons of posts here and the variety of opinions presented was what was useful to me.

14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Off topic and/or inappropriate posts have been removed...  Back on Topic:

The Holdster has been around for a few years.  I handled one at a gun show on a P3AT maybe 5 years ago.  Although it seemed like a cool concept, and it does pass federal muster, I didn't care for it.  Let me preface my opinion by saying that I won't carry a gun without a holster, at least not past the mailbox.  I am more comfortable with the trigger completely covered, and when using a pocket holster, I won't put anything else in that pocket that might snag or get into the trigger guard.

Anyway, back to the Holdster, I don't really see what it accomplishes that other holsters don't do better.  First, as I suggested, unlike a conventional holster, it does not offer the protection of a covered trigger.  Secondly, IMHO, it affords a poor, one-fingered grip on the gun.  To me, if you don't worry about an uncovered trigger, you'd be better off with no holster at all, maybe the belt clip, etc.  At least then, you would have an unencumbered grip on the pistol.

I think a holster like the K&D Pocket Defender Convertible 2-1 beats the Holdster hands down.  First of all, it is versatile.  With the grip panel attached, it works just like the Holdster.  That is, it wears in the pocket and prints the same as the Holdster, (like a wallet).  Unsnap the anti-print panel and it becomes a conventional front pocket holster.  It is easy to remove the gun affording a full purchase on the grip, and of course the trigger is properly protected.

That is my humble opinion... worth every penny you paid.  :D

K&D  Pocket Defender Convertible 2-in-1
    http://kdholsters.com/pdc.php

15. RUSTYSHACKLEFORD

RUSTYSHACKLEFORD New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Can you be specific about what makes it illegal in Texas?[/quote]
    The Instructer of my CHL class said your firearm cannot be fired from a holster, but must be removed. He displayed a holster that resembled this one. Like i said I could be mistaken.

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    The federal law that controls (assuming there is no Texas law to the contrary) is that a weapon cannot be in a holster that 1) conceals the fact that it is a weapon and 2) can be fired from within the holster. The Holdster is legal because the slide is visible, thereby NOT concealing the fact that it is a weapon.

As Tx said much more politely than I, that doesn't necessarily mean it is a good idea. There are a lot of products out there, gun related or not, that are legal but not the best ideas to use nonetheless.

-Scott

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Surprise! Your CHL instructor was wrong. Nothing shocking there. There are plenty of conventional holsters through which you could fire the gun, say, from a jacket pocket. In and of itself, the ability to fire from a holster does not make it illegal. As Scott said, it is all about whether the holster disguises the gun. The ATF has ruled that the Holdster does not hide the gun sufficiently. Even still, such a holster might not be illegal (I forget) - it might be classified as an AOW (any other weapon) and require a stamp, and approval from the ATF, although I am not positive about that. None-the-less, I have seen the Holdster sold at Texas gun shows for years.