anyone recently sent back P3at for service?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Wlfman40, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I recently bought a p3at after a friend raved about his and reading multiple posts about the customer service over there at ole kel tec. I had my gun for two weeks with multiple sessions in between and multiple handlers encountering the same failure to feed and a few fte. The gun shop who sent it back had it for two weeks and now kel tec has had it for two weeks and they are telling me 8-10 weeks..This is ridiculous. SO kel tec will have my gun 5 times as long as I did! Has anyone else been told this but recieved it quicker, my friend seems to think it will be back super fast but he is comparing this to when he sent his kahr pm9 and had it back 5 days from when he sent it in. I keep telling him big difference in company and price you pay. Do they work on it any quicker if a dealer sends it in? >:( . Trying to be patient

2. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Mine was sent back twice in the last year. It's first trip back was 8 weeks in Florida (didn't sit at the dealer at all). The second time back was 10 weeks to the day. With the holidays they supposedly get slower too. Good luck.

I was not impressed with it being in Florida for 18 weeks out of the year, but they finally got it fixed.

3. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I made my dealer send it in for me and recieve it when it came back too. That didn't make any difference to keltec....

4. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    .....................and there went all hopes :'( the friend who recommended the gun felt so bad he actually ordered the belt clip for me a week ago thinking that he was right and they would arrive at the same time...now i own a fabulous stainless belt clip and no pistol to mount it to

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG,  sorry to hear of your bad luck.

just a few questions if you don't mind.

diid you shot over 100 rounds?
    did the friend that raves about his look at yours to see if there was any thing self correctable.?
    did the friend shot it with the same failures?
    were you able to shot the friends successfully?

6. ericire12

ericire12 Guest

Hang in there. Kel Tec will get you a reliable pistol that you can bet your life on. I sent my new P32 back a few months ago and it took 7 weeks. What I got back was a pistol with a noticeable increase in quality and its been dependable ever since. Entire story here:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1252594541

7. ericire12

ericire12 Guest

I agree, but with Kel-Tec you run the chance of getting one that is not good to go right out of the box. IMO, its pretty close to a toss up. I knew that going into my purchase and was ok with that..... I was buying a very specialized tool, and I was in it for the long run so if it needed to go back to Florida for a tune up then fine by me.

It is was it is, and the reality of the situation is that you fell into an unlucky demographic..... but like I said, Kel-Tec will do what it takes to get you a pistol that you can bet your life on. Hang in there.... you will be glad that you did.

8. ericire12

ericire12 Guest

~~~

I chose Kel-Tec because of the price, availability, customer service and how long they have been on the market. There are a lot of new pocket rockets on the market right now, but I am leary of buying a new product until it has been out on the market for a couple of years and all the bugs seem to have been worked out (Take the LCP for example).

With KT, I knew that if I did had any problems they would either fix it on their dime no questions asked or they would send me what I needed to fix it myself. For me, that is a great deciding factor in the short term and in the long term as well.

9. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    To anwser some questions: I did shoot 100 rounds through it although not at once, my first outting I took 50 rnds and after the 1st mag had 3failure to feeds where I had to use my right thumb to press the back of the slide and fully seat the round I went to the range smith and we took it apart and he applied oil liberally everywhere where he thought it would help(points of friction) still nothing but three to four failure to feeds on every mag except 2, and to stovepipes. I held a death grip on it turning my knucles white. I later expressed my dissapointment to my friend explainin that during the break in I expected a few of each but not so many, he went back with his and mine and I had no problems with him and I forced myself to put another 60 rounds through it and on the 109th round still failing to feed. This was completely devastating not only because now I had a $300 paper weight but the rounds were expensive in and of themselves and are in short supply. I really didn't want to send my brand new gun away but I had no other option. I really like the size and feel and it carries well, I only decided to get it after holdin it in my hands right then and there I bought it.

10. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Thanks for the tip on that Mike, I never thought of using those to break it in a little. I will definately lube it up and clean it. I have looked over this forum many times and was dissappointed that on this topic people so quickly bring out the label troll to place on someone just because a negative comment was said, I hope this is an isolated event. I belong to other forums regarding other hobbies and have seen trolls, people that always post a negative comment about a product and never say anything positive or agree on any standpoints. Unfortunately sometimes things fail and it sucks. I knew this going in as the friend that recommended the little gun was on his second because he didnt have patience when it malfunctioned but the size sold him on a second. I knew the problems going in could pop up and I bought it because my dealer offered lifetime warranty as well as kel tecs so two lifetime warranties how could I go wrong. This does not however alleviate the frustration of having to send it back and wait till Christmas for a gun I bought in September. Now I wonder will I ever trust it again? How many rounds am I gonna need to put through it to break it in again if something major is replaced or how many rounds till I will trust it?

11. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    1.  ScottD    
    24. MikeTalia
    [/quote]

Wlfman40,
    Sorry that your post was targeted by a repetitive long time nuisance individual.

12. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Like it's been said on here over and over....you may have to send it back once, maybe twice, but Keltec will make it right. It's hard to be patient through the entire process, but in the end you'll be happy you didn't give up on them. I almost did twice, but I stuck it out, and actually bought a second P3AT while the first made its second trip to the mother ship. Now I have two, and so far they've been flawless since getting the one back. My second one, a hard chrome, black frame gun, has not skipped a beat.

I went out and picked up a Diamondback Arms DB 380 a few weeks back. Against my better judgement because I don't like to buy the 1st run of any gun...well it's going back to for a few issues to be resolved. Seems to be the norm for small handguns in decent calibers.

Just be patient, and go buy another one, haha....you'll be glad you did :)

13. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Little_Z28, I was going through the posts and found yours

"All in all, they've had my gun for 17 weeks and counting since February or April, when I bought it new. So I'm pretty disgusted, and I don't care what anyone says, they have quality control/customer service issues that have driven me away from purchasing any more guns from them."

This is where I am at already and havn't even been waiting that long. I wish they had a tracking system like ups/fed ex to see where your gun is at in the process. Should I call at four weeks? Im like you and can be a persistant bugger.

14. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Yeah, they probably won't deal with me any more. They had the gun for 8 weeks on the first trip, and when I got it back, didn't eject on the first shot (problem I sent it in for). Sent it back again and they had it for 10 weeks because I figured out that the firing pin channel was bored way off center. Got a new slide and has been good since. I am not impressed with their service at all.

If you call, all they'll tell you is that yes it's there. They will be looking at it soon. Turn around is x to y weeks. You call in x to y weeks, and you'll get the we're currently running a to b weeks. I called and told them to send it back unfixed, I was going to trade it in, and didn't care if it worked or not (the dealer wasn't helping me either, so I didn't much care if they got a dud). Told them I wouldn't buy another one, and was going to trade it for a Kahr or an LCP. Got a tracking number the next day and it was fixed.

Now I have two of them that work great. I bought a Diamondback Arms DB380 a few weeks ago (see the Other Guns) forum. Had some issues with it, which I expected due to being a brand new model. Overnighted it Friday on their tab, just got a call this morning from UPS asking if I'd be here today cause it's on its way. That's service!!

15. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    sent mine back a couple weeks ago. i figure 10 to 12 weeks due to xmas shut down. not worried it is pf9 weather here. also i have a p32.

16. masteryoung

masteryoung New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    so i guess the problems everyone is having has to do with failure to fire??? i am getting kind of funny feeling about my prchase of one now,.....

17. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    masteryoung
    my problem was failure to feed, once the round fed(used my right hand thumb to push and fully seat round) it fired everytime. It is frustrating but hopefully I am just one recent person who got a "bad one". Guy at work bought his 2months before I did and not one problem with his. I will say I knew going in this was a possibilty and it is very frustrating. Hold one, put one in your pocket and you won't be able to resist, I know I couldn't.

18. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    My first one had failures to eject at first. Fixed that myself after they sent it back to me unfixed. Then light strikes from the firing pin channel being bored off center. They put a new slide on it and it's been perfect since. Just alot of messing around to get it to that point.

While it was gone, I bought another one (hard chrome gun), and it's been flawless since day one.

They're both working excellent now, so who knows. When you look at them check out the machine work and compare several if the dealer has them. Get one that looks the smoothest. The newest guns have been in alot better condition than the old...

19. Wlfman40

Wlfman40 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I hate to keep beating this topic in the ground but I guess in a way it makes me feel better...or not...I called Kel Tec 2 weeks ago(at the end of the 6weeks of them having it) to check on the status of my pistol this was they told me 6-8weeks from reciept so I would have it back before their Christmas closure...fast forward to last week I called to check again now 7weeks in and they told me maybe I'll get it back first of January. Come on, what good is customer service or a lifetime warranty when I will never hold my gun again. I bought it in Sept and only had it for 2wks before sending it back. I am seriously considering buying an LCP and selling that damn gun when it comes back. They did not apologize or anything. How can they have great customer service when they could care less about fixing you weapon in a timely manner. Second I know time frames are estimates but usually they overshoot the time so they get it back early and your a happy customer, not 6-8wks or maybe 10-12wks after the initial time frame is up. What gives, who knows of a good contact at kel-tec that still cares about customer service anymore. They have lost at least 2 customers so far...me and a friend asked about mine and I sent him to Ruger.