Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just like the title says. I wonder why they left this bulge on here maybe for harmonics? I dont believe the hand guard rests on it but I could be wrong . Just figured i'd put it out there and see if anyone knows why.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
If that's the same barrel used on the SU-16B model...When folded, the little bulge is where the catch built into the stock grabs the barrel to hold it closed.

Who knows? Same barrels? Maybe not...just a wild guess. :confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Doesn't look like the same barrel as the SU-16. Distance between the chamber and 'bulge' is distinctly different between the two.

In my opinion, it does serve a harmonics purpose. Think of snapping a piece of pasta. In this case, it'd be held by one end (barrel nut) and the midpoint (gas block), then flexing (firing harmonics on barrel/forces from weapon recoiling and distributing force). It's easy to bend and snap a piece of pasta, and it'll usually snap close to the midpoint, where stress is greatest. Reinforce the midpoint, and it's harder to snap/bend. Easy mental image, right? It'll have a moderate effect on the behavior after the gas block too, depending on how rigidly those components are held in place WRT the receiver.

Could be wrong, but that is my distinct impression. Obviously KelTec wouldn't need to cut the bulge out if they didn't really go to pencil town on the barrel, but one of their big selling points is how overall and comparatively light their weapons are. It'd be nice if they offered a medium and heavy contour barrel and if the barrel could be a bit easier to swap than say, a Sub2k.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's true, all the barrels are 2 piece. Put in a jig and welded up. They save money this way.
Joking right? Because watching any of the Kel-Tec factory tour videos on youtube they all show square bar stock steel, then machine out full length barrels from them. It makes no sense at all that they save money by taking a full length, machined barrel that they did in-house, cut it in half, then weld it back together. In fact that would be wasting money and time.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
It's a two-piece barrel because it has to be. (I'm sure they wish it didn't have to be:().
The front gas-block is pressed on the barrel from back to front.
It's obvious that something on the chamber end of the barrel won't fit thru the hole.
Airsoft Airsoft gun Air gun Auto part Machine

Edit: So why not just put it on from the front?:headstratch:
The force from the barrel is to the rear from recoil.
And the force generated by the cylinder driving the gas piston to the rear is to the front.
It would disassemble itself.
Airsoft Auto part Machine Air gun Metal

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Only JB weld is strong enough to hold them together.
Actually i was pulling legs, but there is a good point here.
Blake is the forum guru!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.