Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm working on getting myself a Sub 2000 after drooling over one since collage. I'm already planning several mods, and I'm wondering if anyone tried one of them.

I remember seeing this discussed in the forums years ago. Remove the front sight, put a picatinny rail at the very end of the barrel (might have to fabricate one that screws on) and put a micro red dot. The idea is you get a red dot (with very long eye relief) and still get the ability to fold. With the Gen 2's barrel sticking out a bit past the rear stock and doctor style micro sights being less than 2 inches deep, it might work and be fold-able. I'm wondering if mounting an optic that far forward or that close to the barrel would cause any problems with recoil, trouble finding the dot or problems with barrel blast coating the lens.

If anyone's tried it, let me know if it's a good/bad horrible idea. If not, I'll start with a cheep air soft grade sight for a proof of concept and then move on to an expensive one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
From what I've seen, the best two options for a red dot sight on a S2K Gen 2 is for you to either use a quick detachable mount with the throw lever release for the optic to be removed before it's closed/folded or to go with a Red Lion aftermarket forearm that allows for the optic to pivot out of the way was the carbine folds. I wouldn't want a red dot so far forward toward the muzzle as you described.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Bigbuck is right. I have the red Lion rail and like it, but it's not something greatly usable for a quick action scenario (home invasion, truck gun, etc...). It's takes some time to uncurl the nut flip it around and tighten up correctly so it's still stable. But it's the best solution for me and my needs, I just need to practice with the "irons" more.

If you check out Arts build you'll see a more practical setup. Riser+offset picatinny rail+small red dot.

If I didn't want a beefed up backpack rifle I would have gone his route. But with the red Lion I have a full blown red dot + flashlight and can fold directly in half and put in a small water bladder area of a backpack.

I was thinking of doing something similar to what you described to change the front sight to a flip sight + buy an earley rear flip sight, but I think that's just spending money where it isn't needed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what's tried, tested and makes sense - I'm looking to try something different. I know from playing around with a different dot sight on a broom it is possible to aim through a dot at a fair distance. Finding the dot is a bit tricky, but I'm thinking good positioning and a good cheek wield may solve that, worse case scenario I can drill out the rear sight and use that as a quick index.

I figure if it doesn't fit directly where the front sight is, something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0121DR6KA...TF8&colid=398QQ2AECPD4V&coliid=I3TUD069AV9TPN

That'll move the rail in front of the barrel would work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know what's tried, tested and makes sense - I'm looking to try something different. I know from playing around with a different dot sight on a broom it is possible to aim through a dot at a fair distance. Finding the dot is a bit tricky, but I'm thinking good positioning and a good cheek wield may solve that, worse case scenario I can drill out the rear sight and use that as a quick index.

I figure if it doesn't fit directly where the front sight is, something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0121DR6KA...TF8&colid=398QQ2AECPD4V&coliid=I3TUD069AV9TPN

That'll move the rail in front of the barrel would work.

I'm not sure how functional that thing is but the reviews and replies have me cracking up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure how functional that thing is but the reviews and replies have me cracking up.
The question becomes if I use something ironic seriously, does that make me an anti-hipster or a double hipster.

Moot point. Called every gun store in a 100 mile radius and while none laughed at the thought of getting a sub2k without a year or more worth of backorder, none gave much sympathy. Gunbroker subs seem to have about a $150 premium for the 9mm version and the 40 s&w has a different thread. Ah well, should be able to fab up an ugly prototype out of aluminum blocks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the gun, the front sight is very close in size to the cheep microdot I picked up (pics forthcoming) so I think it's feasable. Sadly, won't be able to work on the project immediately as some unexpected dental expenses for the Fiance means I'm working overtime for the foreseeable future. Watch this space though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm hoping that the sight being a good distance above the barrel will help prevent that, and I know that micro dot sights are set to stand at least a bit of gas - they're mounted right before the ejection port and there's always a bit of gas leak at the ejection port. That's why I'm planning on starting with a cheep airsoft grade site for a few hundred rounds before I invest in an RMR.

The disadvantage of the cheap airsoft grade sight I purchased is that they tend to be just that - when I finally tried to sight it in on the built in rails it bottomed out before the dot was even visible. Ah well. If it does end up being fried by the smoke I wouldn't have wasted anything valuable.

Should be able to work on the project a bit this weekend - at least figure out the measurements so I can start ordering alumium stock.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's the front to back dimensions? I love that the battery cover doesn't require you to remove the sight from the gun, I'm just wondering if that makes it too long for the job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the front to back dimensions? I love that the battery cover doesn't require you to remove the sight from the gun, I'm just wondering if that makes it too long for the job.
I H8 to be a naysayer in my very first post on this forum. But your idea is...shall I say...misguided. It's not going to work very well and using a RMR this way is out there.

Just look around for a 45 degree mount and mount it on the picatinny rail first if you need it mounted 24/7. Try that first with a cheapie RDS.

Personally, I don't understand why someone hasn't come up with a swing to the side solution like we use with magnifiers. To fold you just press a button to swing the RDS to the side out of the way. Unfold and push the RDS back into place where it locks into place.

If you decide to do your project good luck.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I H8 to be a naysayer in my very first post on this forum. But your idea is...shall I say...misguided. It's not going to work very well and using a RMR this way is out there.

Just look around for a 45 degree mount and mount it on the picatinny rail first if you need it mounted 24/7. Try that first with a cheapie RDS.

Personally, I don't understand why someone hasn't come up with a swing to the side solution like we use with magnifiers. To fold you just press a button to swing the RDS to the side out of the way. Unfold and push the RDS back into place where it locks into place.

If you decide to do your project good luck.
Welcome to the KTOG forum. Good points. The problems with a swing over mount are many and difficult. The precision required for a sight is much higher than for a magnifier. There have been several mounts developed and marketed over the years, but have gone by the wayside. The complication of locking in place and locking when swung over adds considerable weight and complication. If you use the search feature here or look at some of the scope mounting Stickys above, you will find several members have built their own using a commercial door hinge for a basis. Some have worked quite well. Swing over mounts were more in demand back when scopes were not so dependable, and open sights were more in fashion. The demand for such a sight mount as is needed for the Sub2K due to its unusual design is such a limited market as to not be very commercially feasible. There are some who put more money in accessories for their Subs than what they sell for, but price is also a factor for most of us.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ScottsBad, can I ask why? I mean, I can think of a few reasons - the aforementioned smoke issue, the long eye relief, possible heat transfer between the barrel and the sight causing damage, the fact that my aluminium machining experience doesn't go beyond kitchen foil origami cranes.

On the other hand, I figure the heat transfer and smoke issue can be managed with mount design - have the mount extend a bit past the barrel to deflect the flash and have a layer of epoxy between the aluminium screw block and the picatinny rail. I also figure the sight won't be that much forward compared to someone using a pistol in isosceles stance. Not crazy enough to work, but just sane enough to be worth a try.

Currently asking my machinist friends if anyone has a spare 9/16x24 tap for me to possibly destroy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.