Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to figure out if the Sub2000 CQB delivers Sub2000 velocities, or handgun velocities. From the way Kel-Tec words it (4.25" of rifled barrel followed by almost 12" of baffled barrel) it sounds like it's going to shoot at pistol velocities.

Just asking if anyone's run one over a chronograph, and compared against a regular Sub2000 or a regular 4" pistol?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Pistol length barrel WILL only accelerate projectiles to pistol barrel speeds.

This is deliberate. It gets loud when velocities exceed sound.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I would expect, just wondering if it was verified.

Just seems curious, why they went this particular route. It's a long gun that performs ballistically the same as a compact handgun, quite different from the regular Sub2000 which delivers true carbine performance. Seems like .45 would have been a much more appropriate caliber choice for the concept of an integrally suppressed folding carbine, as you could make the rifled barrel portion around 10" long and it would still be subsonic, but 100-200 more ft/lbs than the 4" pistol would deliver. Carbine length, carbine performance, and quiet.

I get that they didn't have a .45 Sub2000 to start from, obviously. But they were soliciting ideas from the public for a .45 Sub2K a couple of years ago, and it seems like this could have been the ideal culmination of a .45 Sub2000. Who knows, maybe they're still working on that one.

Oh well, no biggie, just curious.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just seems curious, why they went this particular route.
My guess would be because all they needed to figure out was 1/2 the gun. They already had the 9mm rear portion. But it's only a guess. I've never even seen one except in video.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no doubt that's exactly what happened, yes.

I love the idea of the CQB, I just am hesitant in that it's (basically) just a pistol, in its 9mm config. If they bring out a .45, I might just have to be first in line.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Dred also explained why and that makes huge sense. Most folks want it as quiet as possible and to do that velocity needs to be sacrificed. Just because it's called CQB means nothing. I built a 300BLK with a CQB blast can on it. It's not hearing safe but it does remove the blast (for actual CQB) that makes a hi pressure cartridge (cartridge with a shoulder) make you wish you'd never pulled the trigger.

If KT ever makes one in .45 ACP I'd wager the line would be long, but they sell all they can make and are swamped. So while folks may want it they might have no incentive to invest the R&D $ to make it and just make additional problems for production. Again, just a guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Sub 2000 platform is a blowback design. Moving up to 45 ACP would require a different action. Easier to just use the existing design and stay in 9mm.
I haven’t had a chance to chrono my CQB yet. The rounds I’m using are designed to be done subsonic - 147 gn bullets with 3.5 gn of Vit N320 or 128 gn bullets with 3.8 gn of Titegroup.
As expected, the heavier bullet is quieter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Sub 2000 platform is a blowback design. Moving up to 45 ACP would require a different action. Easier to just use the existing design and stay in 9mm...
It's no big deal to design & build a blowback .45 - you just need a heavy bolt & appropriate recoil spring. Several different designs have been produced, including the M3 subgun and (IIRC) one of the Hi-Point handguns...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts