Anyone carry the p3at IWB?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gordon11, Aug 31, 2009.

1. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007
    I recently got my p3at and immediately bought a pocket holster as I had planned in advance to pocket carry.  I have a P11 and a .38 snub, both of which I carry IWB using an Uncle Mike's holster (i'm on a poor man's budget).  I'm starting to think there may be times when I want to carry the P3AT IWB.  Do any of you carry that way?  If so what holster?  And is it with or without a retention strap?  I'm not really interested in using the belt clip because I want to be easily able to drop it into my pocket holster when I want to change mode of carry.  I'm mainly trying to find out among the cheap holsters what works and what doesn't and if the P3AT will work its way up and out of an IWB holster that doesn't have a strap.  My snub and P11 stay in place but they're heavier.

Thanks in advance.

2. longbeard48

longbeard48 New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Hi,
    This is my first post. I have had a P3AT for about a month now and am waiting for my carry permit at the time. I bought a wallet holster, a pocket holster and an IWB. I have only used them here in my home, but I have worn the IWB for a couple of days around ther house and it is very comfortable. I removed the (removable) retention strap and the pistol does not work itself out of the holster.
    There are times when I will feel better with a IWB holster and times when I will probably use the other two methods, I'm sure. The pocket holster works well in dress pants and the wallet is better in the back pocket of jeans. The IWB works well with a thicker shirt and provides better access than either of the others when you are driving. It is a cordura type holster purchased on ebay. It is reversible for right or left hand.
    Have a great day.
    Longbeard48

3. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    Thanks for your helpful input Longbeard and welcome to KTOG!  You'll love it here.  The variety of carry options you've got is what I'm looking for.  It's good to know it doesn't work its way out without the retention strap.

4. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Uncle Mike's makes a great IWB holster... The one without the thumb break seems to be the chosen one around here... I think its a size 10... and you can find it for around 10-15 bucks. Highly recommend for the price.

5. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    I had a Uncle Mikes once it lasted about 2 months. :'(  I wore out from the inside I was very disappointed with it. Changed to a home made pocket holster copied from different holster makers it's works well. But I also wanted a IWB looked at all the different manufactures finally went with one from the "The Holster Store" has worked well for several years now cost was about $5.00 more then what I paid for the uncle mikes. Gun stays in place no problems. I did find a small gun is harder to re holster then my 1911 thou.
    Oh well thats the price you pay :-/

6. oak1971

oak1971 New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Mine goes in my pocket or IWB with the clip.

7. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    +1 for the homemade pocket holster. I mostly pocket carry. The Uncle Mike's is just constantly recomended to me by others. So please note my recomendation for that particular holster comes from the experience of others.

8. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007

I have a left and right of these. Once a month or so I will carry in this fashion. The lack of having to thumb a safety makes these lil buggers good offhand BUGs.

9. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009
  10. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I have sideguard holsters making me a minimal clip IWB right now but I've been carrying with the clip and really like it.  The way I wear it the trigger is covered by pants and/or belt and is safe.  Only problem I've had is it can ride up after driving the car.  I like IWB better than the bulge in the pocket, it can irritate the skin a little sometimes where it makes contact.  So far i've been clip 80% pocket 20%.  I don't know if I'll use the holster when I get it or not, have to see how it goes.  I've got a clip on my .45 also.

11. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Uncle Mikes, size 30 something.
    No retention strap. You won't need one either, trust me.

12. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I originally started carrying mine in a pocket holster but like to reserve my pockets for other things most of the time. After using an uncle mikes size 36 (actually sized for revolver) I eventually purchased the PWii from Aholster. I love it! Kydex is my preference because I sweat a lot in my line of work and I also like the positive retention click of inserting a handgun into kydex. I still keep my pocket holster in my backpack in case situations arise where pocket carry would be desired but the kydex IWB is hard to beat for everyday carry. FWIW when I'm not at work I sometimes carry a G23 IWB with a FIST #10. I still more often than not stick with the P3at because it's so convenient.

13. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I have the P3AT and either carry it in a wallet holster or IWB with the clip, when I drive it is either in the console of the care or stuffed between the seat in my truck.
    Welcome to the forum

14. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    My choice of the P-3AT was made very much with season-specific, summer concealment, among a few other needs, in mind, so the topic of holsters and carry styles interests me enormously.

I am 5'10", 155 lbs.  Because of my thin frame the thickness of any gun is the primary givaway that I'm carrying.  In the summer in jeans and a t-shirt, I have to keep my carry choice/s ultra-thin if I'm going to keep my gun in deep concealment.  Not a legal concern in Indiana as we can carry any way we want here, but I personally like to keep my firearm concealed for reasons I won't elaborate on here.

With all that said I currently carry the P-3AT in a Blackhawk nylon IWB holster.  It's a clip on holster, so there's always the risk that a rapid, clumsy draw will bring the holster off the belt still attached to the gun, but practice seems to have minimized that risk.  I'm always thinking of dropping some money on something custom made with straps instead of a clip to completely eliminate that risk, though.  I hate pocket holsters, as I think it's a very slow and inconsistent way to draw a gun.

I'll soon be working a job at a new location which will require me to spend a considerable amount of time in front of the public behind a counter, and I'm thinking of going ankle while working that job.  I don't like the idea of going ankle, but I also don't like the idea of freaking people out all day by flashing my gun.  You all know how some people can be.  We'll see what happens.  It's getting cooler here, so maybe as my clothing changes I'll feel more comfortable in the new environment with the IWB.

A few more comments: I do not like keeping the gun holstered IWB while driving in my car.  The grips of the P-3AT are awesome for shooting, but not so much for rubbing against your skin.  I usually take the holster off my pants and place it between the front seats or in a storage area under the steering wheel.  Both places are quickly accessible, but I dream of anchoring a holster in some way onto the plastic of the interior so I can actually draw it if needed.  Maybe someday.

For the fall and winter I'm considering going Walther PPS in .40 S&W as my thicker, layered clothing should allow a slightly thicker pistol. We'll see.

15. hs106

hs106 New Member

Jul 17, 2009
    FIST kydex. A little pricey, but it is strong, and lightweight. You can configure it almost any way you need to. Mine is tuckable, canatable, and has a clip that accommodates wearing with or without a belt.

16. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    I carry mine 24/7 in a Uncle Mike's size-10 IWB.

This thread here has lots of info and pics.

/me

17. gordon11

Dec 30, 2007
    Thanks Subsonix.  I think I'll go with that Uncle Mike's.  Good to know it's a size 10 so I'll get the right one.  I use the Uncle Mike's IWB for my .38 and P11 and find it very comfortable but was concerned with whether that design would work with the flatter p3at; it obviously does.  Appreciate the info!

18. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    I've been carrying IWB in one of these:

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/Bare_Asset/bare_asset.html

I also have one of those for my S&W 642.

These are well made holsters. Nice leather. Good forward cant to it. Takes some breaking in, and fits very nicely. It should last years. I like the reverse J clip too. Nothing sticking out to snag on anything.

One thing for sure - If you don't have on an undershirt or t-shirt between you and the grips of the P-3AT, the grips will wear a hole in you. They are abrasive, and can leave a mark on you.

I also pocket carry with a Desantis Nemesis.

19. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009

+1 CrackerKen

You could peel potatoes with the thing ;D

I learned that the first day I wore mine IWB instead of in my pocket. It's even worse when sweaty.

A Hogue slip-on or innertube grip mod fixes that problem. I like the Hogue. Very comfortable, grippy, and the sides are still textured, but not like a cheese grater. The extra finger catch and palm swell on the Hogue are nice as well. I used a strip of dense foam on the backstrap under the Hogue grip and put it on upside down. It feels great in my hand when shooting it compared to stock. 200% better

20. CrackerKen

CrackerKen New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Subsoni[ch1202] - Thanks for the tip. I've been meaning to order one of those Houge Handall Jr grips - just haven't got around to it yet. I need to break down and order one before a wear my hide out. They are cheap, just haven't bothered with it yet. I also need to get me an extra magazine and a couple of grip extensions from KT too.