Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously the P3AT is a pocket gun and that's how I've carried mine for many years now. Just curious if anyone carries one of these little pocket rockets OWB, and how. It's nothing personal but I'm really only interested in hearing from those that actually do carry the P3AT OWB. I doubt that it would ever become my primary mode of carrying a smaller gun but there are rare times I might want to free my pocket up without resorting to my larger guns or IWB.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Pocket clip, about 4 o'clock. Sometimes IWB sometimes OWB...depends on the clothing. (P32 has lefty clip, P3AT has right) Never had a problem.

But mostly I carry a Glock 19...same way. IWB with clip.

Reactions: gordon11

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I've used the clips (left & right) on my P-32, but seem to always come back to my Uncle Mikes holster.
Electronic device Technology Gadget
Handgun holster

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same clip for my DB9 and love it. I have (just like you) the trigger clip and belt clip. I use the belt clip to carry in my boot. Love the versatility.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
My P32 works in my P11s Fobus holster, but I only carry the P32 in my pocket. My P11 absolutely disappears in a Fobus holster under a loose fitting t shirt, so there is no need to owb a smaller gun, IMO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know my PF9 isn't a P3AT, and I know you wanted P3AT-specific responses, but I think (hope) this might be worth saying. Hope it's not unwelcome.

I prefer wearing cargo shorts whenever I can get away with it, so pocket carry makes sense more often than not. I have never found jeans, however, that work well for pocket carry (for this particular man and this particular gun).

For jeans days, I have leather IWB and OWB holsters. I only ever carry IWB if I'm wearing a shirt that won't cover the gun. The difference in comfort is night and day for me. I have much better mobility and flexibility without the gun being pressed into my side.

To sum up, I love pocket carry when it works. When it doesn't, I love OWB too. I consider IWB to be an undesirable last resort.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, grade8. Your response is actually quite relevant and useful. I'm the same way- IWB is a last resort. When I had my PF9, it mostly rode in a cheap leather Allen belt slide with the metal clip removed and the holster threaded onto the belt. I'm thinking I may go with a leather OWB belt holster if I can run across and inexpensive one of decent quality.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
something to consider as well... the majority of IWB holsters with a clip also perform great inside your belt, outside of your pants. Typically I'll loosen the belt a notch and clip it into the 4 o'clock position. I've carried my full size 1911 like this...it's quick to put on and comfortable.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
These days I generally pocket carry my S&W 642. That said, in addition to pocket holsters for both the 642 and the P3AT I also have a FOBUS for the 642 and the P3AT and I use them, sometimes. There are times when I just have too much stuff to carry in my pockets and, being that I won't put a firearm into a pocket with anything else, pocket carry is not an option during those times. There are also some shorts I have that may not have a lot of 'structure' to the pockets so that a pocket carried gun will flop around too much and other pants/shorts where the pockets are just not a good size and/or shape for pocket carry. I don't do IWB. Ever. The closest I get is carrying the P3AT in a low-slung belly band so that the grips ride just above my waistline but I am not crazy about that and only use it if I have to dress up, as in for a wedding, funeral, etc. So there have been times when I have carried the 642 or the P3AT - both normally pocket guns - (edit) OWB in a their respective FOBUS holsters and, honestly, I like it. I haven't done it as much, lately as in the same instances and environments where I can and do carry a firearm I generally also carry a fixed blade knife in a sheath on my belt and I even had to change the knife to a crossdraw setup when I got a bigger cellphone that doesn't really fit in my pocket very well (the benefit to that is that I can get to the knife with either hand in that position.) So, due to carrying other things, pocket carry works best for me most of the time. Also, yes, I have bigger guns if I want to carry OWB but the same traits that make the 642 and the P3AT great for pocket carry can give them some advantages in OWB carry. They are small (easily concealed under just a shirt) and don't get in the way when riding in a car, etc.) They are light (won't even notice them on your hip, won't make your pants ride funny if you are abdominally enhanced and posteriorally challenged like me - i.e. you have plenty of gut and not much butt.) I also think that it would be easier to draw such a small pistol and get off a shot before an assailant noticed and could violently respond than it would be to draw a big, ol' hogleg but that is just a theory.

Reactions: gordon11

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have that desantis holster shown in the pictures thread. The p3at is so small and slim that a clip IWB isn't an issue unlike double stack pistols. I used to carry my p3at pocketed but it messed up my reliability big time and filled the pistol with lots of lint. These little things are already on the edge reliability wise as it is.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
something to consider as well... the majority of IWB holsters with a clip also perform great inside your belt, outside of your pants. Typically I'll loosen the belt a notch and clip it into the 4 o'clock position. I've carried my full size 1911 like this...it's quick to put on and comfortable.
My friend carries this way but more to the front.
I can't seem to find a way to carry that fits my active (Florida) lifestyle. I have a few small pistols, but can't figure a safe/comfortable way to carry.
Anything on a belt seems to be uncomfortable, but could be helped with a higher ride hight? (I don't like those belly band things)

Some type of pocket carry or large cross draw shoulder holster with a cover seems most comfortable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't seem to find a way to carry that fits my active (Florida) lifestyle. I have a few small pistols, but can't figure a safe/comfortable way to carry.
Anything on a belt seems to be uncomfortable, but could be helped with a higher ride hight? (I don't like those belly band things)

Some type of pocket carry or large cross draw shoulder holster with a cover seems most comfortable.
Me too, I live in as. Florida and am searching for a way to carry PF9 .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took a CC class and the instructor likes these tactical holster undershirts when he's not open carrying. But with how hot and humid FL is I'm not sure that's the best way to keep a pistol from corroding.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts

Me too, I live in as. Florida and am searching for a way to carry PF9 .
I have something you guys might want to consider. In fact, I bought it when I was planning a vacation in Florida back when Florida required full concealment (is that still the case?)

It is a 'fanny pack' that is specifically built for concealed carry. It has pockets for other stuff, too, but has one compartment that has velcro panels for attaching a holster. Mine came with a holster. It also has strips that attach to the velcro that can be used as retention straps, if needed. They come in different sizes but mine is a smaller one. It holds my P3AT or my 642 comfortably. It has two zippers, one that comes up from each side, and when fully unzipped that compartment will fall completely open. It has a pull cord loop that you leave hanging out between the zippers. To quickly access the firearm, you hook your off hand thumb in the loop or just pinch it between your thumb and a finger and give a sharp tug. The zippers 'rip' open (by that I mean they open quickly and easily, not that it does any damage to them) and you draw with your strong hand. Maybe not the fastest method ever but it is pretty fast. Like most 'fanny packs', mine has its own woven nylon belt but there is also a belt loop on the back of the pack, itself. That way you can run your regular belt through the loop to prevent anyone from unsnapping the built in belt and running away with your pack/stuff/gun and to help support the weight but the built in belt actually supports most of the weight so it isn't dragging your pants down.

I know some people make fun of fanny packs but personally I don't care. I am not out to impress anyone. Some also say that fanny packs can be a dead giveaway that you are carrying but I don't think most non-carriers would recognize them as such. I don't use mine a whole lot but am glad I have it for those times I want to use it.

Mine looks a lot like this one. In fact, it might be the same model or manufacturer. Come to think of it, I think that might even be the same tag as was on mine when I bought it, I'm not sure. I bought mine at a gun show but, like this one, it has two front pockets for carrying other stuff and a large pocket at the very back where the holster goes. I have the holster in mine set up at more of an angle to make getting ahold of and drawing the gun faster/easier. I am not endorsing this seller. This was just the best example I found of one that looks like mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Sma...uch-Holster-/291990582254?hash=item43fbfeb3ee

·
822 Posts
I'm too, er, uh, husky to wear IWB, and wearing OWB only works during what passes for winter in the deep south. I carry my Ruger LCPII (like P3AT) in it's Ruger-supplied "condom" in the front pocket of my loose cargo shorts. No "marking."

Gun Firearm Trigger Gun accessory Starting pistol

But I would like to find a nice OWB holster for my Bersa Thunder 380.

Reactions: mtn_chef

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'm too, er, uh, husky to wear IWB, and wearing OWB only works during what passes for winter in the deep south. I carry my Ruger LCPII (like P3AT) in it's Ruger-supplied "condom" in the front pocket of my loose cargo shorts. No "marking."

View attachment 33339

But I would like to find a nice OWB holster for my Bersa Thunder 380.
You can avoid worrying about marking if your shorts have a pattern to them. Plaid, camo, etc. Plaid shorts, knee socks and sneakers with velcro and nobody gives you a second look.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.