Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been carrying with one round in the chamber and only 5 in the mag (5+1), since I realized I had not done a lot of function testing with 6+1 and was worried about FTE or FTF with the first shot.  I'm going to make a point of function testing 6+1 next time I get to shoot.

But this got me wondering, does anyone carry with 5+1, and if so, why?  Worry about FTE?  Mag spring worries?  Etc.

Let's hear it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
adamsesq said:
It's made for 6 (or 6+1).  At least in my mind to carry any other way suggests you think you know more than the designers of the weapon and I know I surely don't.

-Scott

Of course -- I didn't mean to imply anything else, it's just that in my case I realized that ALL of the range testing I've done has been like this: Load mag with 6 rds, insert mag, cycle slide, fire 6. Repeat.

So I got worried about carrying it in a way I've never tested it.

This will be corrected ASAP.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I carry 5+1 for several reasons
I don't like having the spring fully compressed when installing the magazine.
I also don't like shooting the last round and having the slide go over the follower, there fore I can use one hand to perform round count to leave the laast round chambered ;)

And to respond to those that say I'm foolish not to load to the maximun, I'll plageris that famous quote

fatman said:
...the most important function of a small pocket pistol is to remind us we are in a dangerous world and that we should be alert at all times and avoid risky situations where conflict might occur. If we have to draw the gun we are down to our last defensive line with a less than adequate weapon. In that case I doubt that we will be able to draw much comfort from having FMJ or JHP or interleaved [highlight]five or six rounds of[/highlight] ammo. We would probably be wishing we had thought more about how to avoid being there at all and less about the ammo we use.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
The only time I carry the P3 with one round short in the mag is if I am going to a gun show where I have to unload the weapon. Gives me a place to put the round in the chamber.

G

·
6+1

I see no reason to carry any other way.

But I am curious....

JFB
 ...I also don't like shooting the last round and having the slide go over the follower...
... What is the problem with the slide going over the follower?

I empty mags every time I shoot the 3AT.

G

·
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
6+1

But I am curious....

JFB
 ...I also don't like shooting the last round and having the slide go over the follower...

absolutley no reason at all :-? :-? slide going over the follower, ain't they designed to do that??????

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
They're designed to be carried with a full mag and one in the chamber. They work very well this way. I've been carrying this way 24/7, with an average of two range trips each month to check for function - never a problem.

Bobo

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
jocko said:
[quote author=Nu_Agin_Shooter link=1198726443/0#10 date=1198785541]6+1

But I am curious....

JFB

absolutley no reason at all :-? :-? slide going over the follower, ain't they designed to do that??????
[/quote]

Can't argue with that

G

·
i carry it as 5+1 because i load the 6 round magazine, then chamber a round and off i go.......this gun will not be my only gun, it is a BUG...

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
6 +1 One argument I've heard for not maxing out a mag is the potential of fatiguing the mag spring. Compression/expansion repeatedly fatigues springs, NOT leaving them in compression.

I see no valid reason for not carrying the weapon at capacity.

--Plex

·
Registered
23 Posts
While I carry my 3AT 6+1, I was always carrying my P32 6+1 as well. Strange, it never really crossed my mind to load it +1. I loaded the mag, put it in, racked the slide and that was it. Carry my G26 the same way. Loaded 10, rack slide, on my way.

It wasn't untill the 3AT I decided +1 would be better.

Frank

·
Registered
53 Posts
This paragraph below should be [highlight]learned[/highlight] by each concealed carry licensee before getting their license to carry - what a powerful/useful statement. i'll probably modify my carry to 5+1 after this thread; it will make things simpler for counting and one extra probably will not make much difference.

[quote author=fatman  link=1171263622/15#24 date=1171405282]...the most important function of a small pocket pistol is to remind us we are in a dangerous world and that we should be alert at all times and avoid risky situations where conflict might occur.  If we have to draw the gun we are down to our last defensive line with a less than adequate weapon. In that case I doubt that we will be able to draw much comfort from having FMJ or JHP or interleaved [highlight]five or six rounds of[/highlight] ammo.  We would probably be wishing we had thought more about how to avoid being there at all and less about the ammo we use.[/quote][/quote]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.