Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter bought a big boat with a 120 force motor on it. She brought it over for me to check out. Got it started, took it to the lake. It started right up though the cobwebs would blow out in a minute then it overheated and died. Think it was leaking water out of the no.1 sparkplug hole.

Had her take it to a boat expert to get checked out, he told her it was junk after a compression check. No. 3 had none. I went and got it and pulled the head. Every thing looks good, cylinder has no ridge. Did'nt see any crackes in the head, the plug screws through a plate before screwing into the head, might be a gasket.

Does anybody know if i have to pull the motor to split the case?

I'm thinking the boat guy did'nt want to take it on having a hole yard full of them that just needed started.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
i would take the head to a machine shop and have them shave it and check for cracks, take the old gasket for them to look at.....put on a new gasket.....if you still have issues they are probably major...gary

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

Two happiest days in a boat owners life?
1. The day you get it...
2. The day you get rid of it. :D

Shoot, I've had boats on and off all of my life but have tried to steer clear of working on the motors. I have no guess on the compression. Hopefully it's only in the top end, whcih is bad enough. But the heating up is likely the water pump. They often need changing every several years and they don't fare well if the boat sits up for any length of time without running.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna put a set of rings and a water pump in it. Even after the parts she will still come out on the deal. The rings are $40 a hole and the gasket set is a little over $100. I seen in the papers that they had redone the lower and spent $2500 on it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I overhauled my Force 120 myself. It was quite a project! I think I pulled the power head off the lower unit that was still attached to the transom. I had my block bored and installed new pistons. The fun part is that the main and rod bearings are individual needle bearings that you have to assemble using grease to stick them together! It is quite tedious!!!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my SIL has raked up enough money to buy parts, so i went out side this morning to pull the power head.

While looking it over agian notced the fire ring is burnt out in the head gasket!!! Don't know how i missed it when we pulled the head, guess i was thinking rings because it had got hot. Got glasses now too!!!

Think some new gaskets and a little machining on the head, maybe a new head and it will run.

Being an evenrude guy i was'nt looking foward to rebuilding a merc but after ordering a shop manual it looked pretty easy, but most all the work i've done has been heavy engine and transmission rebuilding.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it to the lake today!!! Run pretty good, pulled the grandkids on a tube!!!

I thought about getting on a set of skies, but the water is still to cold for me, seems to get colder every year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts