Anybody Else Ride Their Motorcycle to the Range?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Groesbeck, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Groesbeck

Groesbeck New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Central Florida
    One of the best things for me about going to the range is the fact that I live in the city and the gun club is out in the country. I can ride my motorcycle to the range and combine two of my favorite hobbies.

It's such a nice ride and the company at the range is so nice that I don't even necessarily have to shoot to have a good time.

2. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Re: Anybody Else Ride Their Motorcycle to the Rang

the local smokies frown upon me riding the Harley with the shotgun across my back.

3. Groesbeck

Groesbeck New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Central Florida

Yeah, I don't ride up there if I'm shooting clays! I guess I am allowing my rights to be infringed.

4. Groesbeck

Groesbeck New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Central Florida

[​IMG]

I'm sure you've all seen it, but it never gets old.

5. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL

HA! Never seen that one! I wonder how long it took him to get pulled over!

6. Groesbeck

Groesbeck New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Central Florida

I'm not sure, but I've seen speculation that the picture was taken in the Atlanta area. Laws differ wildly by state.

I wonder what his explanation was.

7. tx-rvr

tx-rvr Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Abilene Texas

In my younger days. I went hunting at a uncles place just outside a small Texas town. Strapped my rifle to the front fork of my bike in a soft case for the trip. When I arrived I slung the rifle across my back and drove through town to my uncles land. Several people called him to see if that was his nephew ridding around with a rifle on his back. This was about 40 years ago. ::) ::) ::)

Steve

8. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL

The good ol' days, Steve?

9. VectorFL

VectorFL New Member

Aug 15, 2009

I ride my motorcycle to the range every chance I get. The closest public range is in the next county south of mine. The range is a good 50 miles + from my home. I'll find a longer way around and take a nice ride, shoot a couple boxes of rounds and take a nice ride home. Bikes and guns make for a great day of recreation.   ;D

10. Troubleshooter2

Troubleshooter2 New Member

Jan 13, 2006

I can take just about what ever I want with my ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Glockmeister

Glockmeister New Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Texas/DFW

about 47 years ago??? i had an allstate 125, you could get license at age 14 and worked at a range. used to carry my 870pump in a vinyl case longways across tank. dropped the bike once on a wet day and watched that case slide across two lanes of oncoming traffic. bike and myself stopped short of intersection. that case and footpegs a little worse for but boy, shotgun and motorcycle ok. joe

12. bib

bib Member

Jan 15, 2011

What could be better than combining TWO activities that you enjoy on the same day?  I shoot IDPA matches and ride my old Airhead BMW to the matches all the time....range bag gets strapped to the seat, guns & ammo in opposite saddlebags.

13. 4thPointOfContact

4thPointOfContact New Member

Feb 4, 2011

When I lived in Aridzona, it wasn't unusual for me to bicycle out to the arroyos with a firearm across the handlebars of my bike.  I had some ATV forks on there for just that purpose.  I did get stopped once by Sierra Vista's finest, we had a pleasant conversation on the side of the road and then I pedaled off.

Funny thing is..... people would almost brush me off the road most days, but when I was packing they'd be extremely polite and cross entirely into the other lane when passing on the days I had a Glock on my left hip.

14. WAXD

WAXD New Member

Jan 31, 2011

I currently ride to the range for pistol only but I'm working on a Rifle/Shotgun mount on my bike.
    [​IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mozul/27409189/

You can get the mounting equipment off Ebay, look for Santa Cruz gun locks. They are electrically actuated via a hidden switch and very secure. My state laws allow for this so I'm going to take full advantage of it.

15. ModelMaker

ModelMaker Member

Feb 24, 2010

One of our local ranges is on a bike trail and I can excersize on my way to and fro.
    Ed

16. dwsonar

dwsonar New Member

Feb 17, 2011

I just found this thread, but I also ride to the range. As said, It's great to be able to combine two hobbies.

17. Dfib

Dfib New Member

Feb 23, 2011

Unfortunately my range is tucked back in BFE on roads not well suited for 2 wheeled travel. I've done it once or twice, but more often than not it's a Jeep trip to the range.

18. MMcE

MMcE New Member

Nov 12, 2010

There are days at my range where I worry about getting my pick-up stuck. I would love to ride, but the land there is not suitable.

Mike