Anybody else have this problem?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Blarelli, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Blarelli

Blarelli New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I just racked my slide to get the round out of the chamber, and the main spring came shooting out of the handle. I picked it up, and turns out the loop that hooks onto the hammer busted off.

-Also, how long is the turn around? If I sent the gun in on monday, how long do you think it will be before I get it back?

2. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    I do believe I am completely confused. :-?

3. Blarelli

Blarelli New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Let me try to explain it better. I racked the slide, and the hammer spring, as well as the hammer spring catch/pin went flying out the bottom of the gun The hammer spring has a loop on either end. The end that connects the spring to the hammer sheared off, making the gun inoperable.

4. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Wow! That's a new one to me. I wish I could be more help, but I live close enough to Kel-Tec I drive over and they help me out same day. I've never had that happen to me though. I think most guys that reported back on here said they got their guns back between 6-8 weeks.

5. Blarelli

Blarelli New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Dang, 6-8 weeks? Is there any way to get it put on the fast track? I mean, for somebody that knows what they are doing, replacing the spring couldn't take more then 5 minutes.

6. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    I know they can get backed up. Kel-Tec is a small company working like crazy keeping up with demand. Yes, it wouldn't take too long to do that maybe... but keep in mind there are others ahead of you. It may only take 2-3 weeks. I don't know, I don't work there. I was just trying to relay what I've read other KTOGers say on here.

7. ttorion

ttorion New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Call Kel-Tec and ask for a new spring. Watch this video to see how it install it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw[/ame]

8. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    KT will send you a new spring as ttorion says. No need to send the pistol back. When you call KT (800-515-9983), ask for customer service, not sales.

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    As was said, call KT service (not parts). They will send you a hammer spring assembly in a couple of days that is easily changed. If you send the gun back, it will likely take several weeks.

10. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Guys, I think he already sent the gun in. :-/

11. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Generally, Kel-Tec sells the hammer and spring as a unit with the spring already attached to the hammer. This makes replacement fairly easy. If all you get is the spring then you will have to drive out the very small roll pin that holds the spring. If that is the case we'll walk you through it.

12. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Guys, I think he already sent the gun in.  :-/[/quote]

I don't see how.  He posted that (yesterday) on Thursday.  Today is Friday.  Monday has not come... yet.  :-/

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That's why I said to ask for the hammer spring assembly, however, either way it is not a big deal. ;)

14. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Maybe Monday, April 21. I dunno.

15. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    His post still says yesterday which was 4/24/. Post dates say today, then yesterday, then whatever the date was. ;)

16. He meant to say the 2nd Monday of last week! ;D

17. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    just saying he could've posted AFTER he sent the gun to KT. Notice the OP never asked us for ADVICE, but just if it ever happened to any of us? He also asked about the typical turnaround for KT service.

18. cactus_jack

cactus_jack New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    To answer the original question, yes, I've had two hammer springs break! :(