Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Kahr P380. Any reason I should consider the Kel Tec 380.

I am pretty happy with the P380. Just wondered if someone might be able to make the case that the P-3AT could be a better option.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I'm guessing the P3at will be a little lighter but if everything else is similar I wouldn't bother. Don't get me wrong, the P3at is a great little pocket gun and it will probably have a better warranty. I would suggest either a PF9 or P32 instead if you are looking another carry gun, either might have some advantages over your Kahr.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The P3AT is an excellent small pocket pistol, and weighs a little less than the Kahr, as well as being less expensive in the initial purhase. Other than that, however, it has no great advantage over the Kahr, unless you prefer hammer action to striker fired. Either one makes a good small defensive weapon, so unless you just want another pistol for variety's sake, there is no good reason to trade one for the other in my view.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Good answers. The p3at is cheaper and a bit lighter, and those are viable reasons to choose it over the kahr. But if you already own the kahr, and it works well, there's not much reason to dump it for the p3at.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If the Kahr is working for you, I see no reason to switch other than to shave off a few ounces. I'd actually opt for the P32 over the P3AT. It's almost 2 ounces lighter than the P3AT, holds 1 more round, and I find it a bit more shootable. Either is a great gun, as is the Kahr.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can't have too many pocket guns. After all you've got a lot of pockets. I just picked up a P3at yesterday. I already own a TCP and an RM380.
Whew! I was beginning to worry about myself. I started with a P-32 back in 2001. I still have that, plus...an LCP, LCP II (as of yesterday), a P-3AT (that I bought last month on Gunbroker for $249 with Crimson Trace laser...just for the laser*), and a Glock 42 that my girlfriend gave me.

*I took the laser off the P-3AT and put it on my P-32 and started to market the P-3AT at my local gun dealer, but...curiosity got the best of me and I've decided to go shoot it tomorrow.

I'm thinking consistency in caliber is not a bad thing and may keep the P-3AT and market the P-32....or not, since "You can't have too many pocket guns".:D

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you can pocket carry your Kahr .380 in any pants you own, stick with it. If not, which I consider is the case, get a KT. In dressier pants I sometimes have to switch from my Uncle Mikes front pocket to a back pocket Don Hume but I never have to leave my P3AT at home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a P32 when they first came out for my wife to pocket carry. After all these years and many other choices on the market it is still doing that duty. The P32 is easier for her to manipulate the slide than the P3AT. When the P3AT hit the market I grabbed one of those, which I pocket carry often. A friend decided to upgrade????? to a Ruger LCP so I just bought his first gen P3AT to have a spare. Still no go for my wife.

Any thoughts on the Kahr CW380 as being easier to rack the slide than a P3AT.

I don't feel much difference between the P32 or P3AT as to carry in a good pocket holster.

My first post here! Hello to all!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both a Kahr p380 and P3AT.

1) The Kahr has a heavier slide action but neither one is light. The kt does not have a slide hold back on last round and is a problen showing a cleared gun when range is cold. I hold it open and insert an umpty case or piece of wood.

·
Registered
180 Posts
... I am pretty happy with the P380. ...
Sounds to me like you should stick with the P380.

The only reason that I can think that you might want to change to the P3AT ... some folks like to have pairs of identical carry guns so that if something happens to one they can keep carrying what they are used to ...

... and for the price of one Kahr P380 you can purchase 2 P3ATs. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since getting my CM9 a few years back I seem to use my P3AT for when I'm wearing gym shorts as it's weight doesn't drag down the elastic waistband.
It serves as a second gun from time to time but given how small they're making pocket 9mm these days it can be a hard sell for a pocket .380
Still, I like mine & will keep it . Just in case.

I paid $350 for my CM9 & $200 for my P3AT quite a few years back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both and they are quite different. The Keltech is lighter and lighter built without much in the way of sights. I shot it a lot and the magazine started dropping out. That was not a problem for carry since I simply installed a small set screw through the grip front and wrapped some black tape over it.

The P 3AT never failed to chamber, extract and eject on a first magazine after cleaning. I had one failure to ignite early in ownership. I probably put about a thousand rounds in it over the years and after 40 rounds or so it would routinely fail to extract and need cleaning.

Also, as stated above, the plastic magazine catch must have worn out. I felt perfecty comfortable with the gun after installing the set screw but impossible to do much range time with it.

I have about 400 rounds or so with the Khar P 380. It is a much more robust piece and will likely take a lot of range time in stride. It has much better triger and real sights. The gun had two or three failure to battery but these were not jams and easy corrected with a straigh punch forward. One ftb was with round nose American Eagle in the first fifty rounds or so.

The other two where with truncated cone Walmart ammo which is discouraged. In fact the first ftb with truncated cone happened on the first round of the first magazine. Without cleaning I got a couple of fte after a bit more then 100 - 150 rounds each time.

I actually prefer to cary the P3AT as it does not tempt me to take a long carefull aim with excellent sights and the rougher trigger pull does not tempt me take time with a carefully squeazed target shot. It is strictly a "muscle memory" device. And has never failed during a first magazine. The problem is it took hundreds of rounds to develop that muscle memory and that damaged the magazine release.

Also, my carry ammunition for the khar was selected to accomodate the feed to battery issue. Federal 90gr hydrshock. For some forgotten reason I bought low recoil. Anyway, I have only used one or two boxes and never had any stopage.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
A new mag catch is a pretty easy repair and KT might send it for free if you call them. Well worth replacing to avoid hassling with a set screw.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.