Any P3AT Prodigal Sons Here?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BillK, Dec 13, 2009.

1. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Any of you folks ever leave the P3AT for another "pocket" pistol only to later come back to the P3AT? If so I'd really like to hear your story. Reason I'm asking is that on more than a few occasions I've thought about how great it would be to pocket carry a 9mm. The PF9 and the PM9 have both been lusted after but no move has ever been made.

Thanks...

2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    what I carry depends on the situation.

but I have many choices, virtually of course

3. Blue_Moon

Blue_Moon New Member

Dec 22, 2004
    I think I probably did what you are talking about doing. I started with a 1st gen 3AT, but bought the first PF-9 I could find. I tried pocket carry for the PF-9 like I had done with the 3AT, but the 3AT was just more comfortable. I still carry the 9 from time to time, but the 3AT is without a doubt my go anywhere gun. I know others will opt for a larger gun perhaps carried IWB, but for me pocket carry with the 3AT is just about the perfect definition of concealed carry.

4. I started my conceal carry days with the 3AT- and moved from it to a G27- then a compact 1911 in .45.

Now it is either the 3AT or the .45- but the 3AT seems to be carried more lately. But I don't know- the cooler weather is here! ;)

It is nice to have choices!

5. mydixiwrecked00

mydixiwrecked00 New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    i always carry a p3at.....but now that its cooler i carry a judge magnum in a shoulder holster under my sweatshirt or hoodie AND a p3at in my belt. i did spend a week carrying a p11 in my belt but quickly switched back.

6. Colossal_Uprising

Colossal_Uprising New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I would carry an MK9 if I could afford one, but I can't. That's why I have my Keltec BUG.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    The MK9 would be for pocket carry as opposed to the P3AT? As nice as the MK9 would be weight wise wouldn't the P3AT or even a PM9 work better for pocket carry?

Take care...

8. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I got close to what you are describing. Luckily, I was able to borrow a PF-9 for about a week and carried it in front pocket like I do my P-3AT. The PF-9 didn't really feel as comfortable as the P-3AT and was somewhat harder to "draw" mainly due to the sights.

However, still might buy a PF-9 for IWB or OWB to go along with my P-3AT or those days (few and far between here in Houston area) where I wear a coat.

9. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I'm with BlueMoon on this one! :cool:

10. jimls

jimls New Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Sorta like Bluemoon, I started with a 1st gen P3AT, upgraded it to a 32NAA, then liking the idea of a 9mm, I tried the Kahr PM9, then the PF9, and then the Walther PPS-40, but I've ended up staying with the P3AT except when I have a Jacket or Vest.

11. knedgecko

knedgecko New Member

Jan 18, 2006
    I had a p32, and thought, man, i should have more porwer. So I went to a PM9 for a time, but it was just a hair too big in every dimension for pocket carry... so then i stepped back to the middle ground, a p3at.
    The PM9 was fine for IWB carry, but at that point i might as well have the sig225 on me.

12. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    My PM9 has become my EDC. It is barely bigger than my P3AT's, though it is a noticeably heavier. It is the only other gun I have personally found to be pocketable on a daily basis. I still love my P3AT's, of course! In very light clothing a P3AT will be my likely first choice.

FYI, take a look at my Pocket Pistol Comparison.

13. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Very well done writeup. Thanks for sharing. Maybe come retirement when really deep concealment is no longer required I'll try the PM9 or PF9 for pocket carry.

Take care...

14. jsintexas

jsintexas New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I moved to a PF9 I prefer the more stopping power of 9mm vs. .380.

15. fwm

fwm New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    NW MO
    I started with a P-11 and added a P3AT as a BUG. Upgraded the P-11 to a P-40, still using the P3AT as a BUG.
    Recently upgraded the BUG P3AT to a PF-9.

BUT, there are plenty of times the P3AT is the only gun that will work.. Tight sport clothes, tees and shorts ....

16. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    I think I still do it all the time. I started in 2005 with a P-3AT, then decided to get a Kahr PM9 with the same type pocket holster I carry the AT in (the guru holster with wallet backer), decided it was too heavy for pocket and bought a Don Hume IWB holster for the PM9 (great holster, great combo) carry it on occasion but quickly was back to P-3AT in the front pocket. Then I got a .38 revolver and tried it ... nope bact to the AT, then I thought laser so I picked up a Ruger LCP with CT and another guru holster ... still go back to the P-3AT for 98% of all carry though. Now for Xmas there is a Bianchi X-15 shoulder rig that will actually allow me to conceal my Beretta Vertec when I want to.

Want to guess what you will find me carrying ... the P-3AT, right front pocket ... Of Course!

17. manonfire1007

manonfire1007 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    The p3at was the first non .22 I bought, back in the days of student poverty.
    I've left ot four times, but always come backl to it. It just fits anywhere and easy enough to carry that I actually do.
    I'm constantly blown away that every red flooded american doesn't own a few of these gems.

18. twohawks

twohawks New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Hi new here. I have both but was wondering...why would you stop carrying the LCP with CT over the Kel Tec?

19. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    The fact is that I find the laser distracting for defensive use. I figure defensive shooting at 7 to 10 feet, pull, point and fire. In practice I find that with the laser I delay trying to bring the laser to the perfect point of aim prior to actually pulling the trigger, without the laser the trigger pull is pretty much part of raising the gun to point. In reality I may not hit center as well without the laser but in target practice I generally hit body mass. As noted, the CT/LCP is relatively new and with the .380 shortage, live fire training is a lot less than may be desirable. I think with more practice and getting used to the laser it may become more remote and I may "learn" to appreciate the laser more.

20. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I had the same dilemna for a couple of months.
    I have carried my G-26 for many years, shot over 5000 rds in training, IDPA and GSSF competition.
    I have practiced the draw over 10,000 times. This pistol is "part of me".
    So, I was very reluctant to carry another gun.
    However, in South Florida there are situations where even the baby Glock is too big for comfortable carry on my 5' 8" 140lbs frame.
    After a long time debating, I decided to get a small gun.
    Having a fairly large amount of 9mm ammo, and thinking that 9mm was the smallest SD round acceptable, I wanted a small 9mm gun.
    Well, I didn't find any I liked, at least under $1000 ;D
    None of the one I played with were much smaller than the G-26 and they didn't meet my criteria: no manual safety, and no magazine disconnect (not that I am against manual safeties, it is just that all my training was without)

So, I decided on the P3AT. It will be my EDC a few days a month and a BUG when I feel I need one. I read statistics showing the average distance in a street shooting was under 6 feet; what I call "bad breath range" :)
    At that kind of distance, even a gun with almost no sights, and a smaller caliber should be "adequate"; people don't wear 4 layers of denim in South Florida.
    For home defense, it is another story; one of the Glocks and my wife's .357 S&Ws are within reach all the time and will be used to access the 12 ga. Mossy ;D

That's my story; however, we are all different and we have different needs.
    Only you can decide what is best for you.