Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Main goal is to fix FTE's.  Have been following recommendations from this site.  Just got finger extensions and new extractor.

Noticed a few things when changing extractor.  Wanted to see if anyone had opinions to share.

1. Think this mark was made by top round in mag during FTE's (silvertips)

2. Don't know what caused this on frame opposite ejector.

3. Wear on both insides of frame at front end. Normal? (only one side visible)

4. Old extractor on right - flat spot on corner. Big enough to cause issue?

5. Anybody see anything wrong here?

Any opinions appreciated.

Brian

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Pic1 is where the magazine impacts during recoil. about 6months back there was reported cracked magazines due to that impact. I installed some 2mm sticky sheet foam from walmarts hobby area.
I let the foam wrapp over so it also buffers the barrel when it tilts down and keeps it pushed against the inside of the slide

Pic2 is where spent case is hitting opposite ejector. that is normal. smooth it down but don't remove any more than original planes and it will stop once enough has been removed

Pic3 i can't make out. but some impact wear on the end of frame rails is normal. again smooth down any raised metal

Pic 4 that is where the rim is when the barrel tips down, so it will cause problems

pic 5 don't see any thing. if you are looking for that groove opposite extractor, then put a case in the slide and besure that the extractor has to spring back and the extractor is pressing the rim against the opposite side of the slide. if the extractor is not pushing, then the groove over there will cause problem

·
Registered
449 Posts
Pic 4. From what I can tell, that extractor on the right is definately bad. The edge extending down to the left is rounded and should be very sharp. Compare to the new extractor and it should be obvious. The flat spot probably don't help either. I had the same problem (rounded edge) with my extractor, replaced it, then flawless from then on.

G

·
brogs5. Here is my opinion from owning 3 and having over 5000 rounds through one and a couple thousand out of the other two.

Photo#1 All of mine did that. The nose of the bullet is hitting it, I filed it off alittle rounder but not very mucy as it didn't hurt anything at all. I think that is happening upon recoil that the top round is being pushed forward out of the magaizine and hitting there. Not alot of room in these mini's u know. #2 That is a normal burr, that you should just file flat again and smooth out, It will soon stop, the shell casing is banging there upon ejection. Probably that little blocked area doesnt even have to be there but it is and it will stop soon, but do file the burr down smooth. #3 I don't think that is really wear but just the anodized finish rubbing off from contact with the barrel caming up and down when the weapon is cycling. I always when cleaning put a small dab of grease in that area (again not to much though). That area of shine is on all of my 3 kt's and does no harm. #4 Never seen an extractor look like that, do replace it for sure and get a new buttonhead screw and while you are ordering have them send you a new flat extractor spring to and replace all 3 parts at one time . Purple locktite or guntite will hold the little screw from coming loose. It must not be loose at all, even an 1/8 turn will cause FTE's, so tighten it good and then just forget it . #5 Your slide face looks good to me. I think your problems could be from the photos the extractor as I have never seen one with a flat spot like that. Good luck, ask questions, take your time, get to know your weapon and it will servie u well.I learned all of the above from reading from this group, so consider this a group consultation.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When I first started having failure to extract problems KT sent a new extractor - when I compared the new and old it was obvious the old extractor was bad - you could see the wear.

Changing the extractor reduced my problem - but did not eliminate it.

I am not saying you should not replace parts that are worn out - but the question I like to also ask is why did it wear out?

If this gun has fired many rounds (say 1,000+) then it can be very normal to replace an extractor - it also could be your gun was shipped with a bad extractor.

But if your gun has low mileage (a few hundred rounds) - then it is not normal for it to be eating extractors. It tells me that you may have some other problem that is causing the spent brass to be MUCH harder to extract then it should be - this extra force causes stress on the extractor causing it to wear out.

What does the spent brass look like? Is it bent up or dented?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!  Thanks for all the feedback.

I have about 400 - 500 rounds through it so far.

At the time it didn't occur to me to pay much attention to the spent casings - except for the fact that I wanted them OUT of the chamber.  I will put some more through it and report back on that.

I am curious as to how the extractor got that way.  After putting this one in, I'll watch it close.

What type of file are you guys using for these little areas?

Really appreaciate the help guys.  We'll get this little thing running great in no time.

Brian

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Something to look out for that will damage extractor tips

1) putting the barrel back in the slide and letting the barrel hit the tip
2) feeding a round in chamber not from the magazine.  when feed from magazine, the case rim slides behind the extractor.  If the case gets in front of the extractor, it has to "jump" over the rim

as for what file...
the frame is aluminun... therefore becareful with file. I preferr to scrap the raised metal. the file on a nail clipper works fine either using it as file or just using it as a scaper.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Brian: Congrats on being able to post pics. However, your pics are distorting your thread. Many people will not bother to read it because it is too much trouble to deal with on smaller monitors.

You can fix this easily though, because you use Photo-bucket. Just go to your album, Find the Box that contains BROWSE. Under that box, you will find a link called Uploading Options. Click on that and set it to Max Image Size: Bulletin board, 640 x 480.

That's it, and the problem will be fixed from then on. To change these pics, you would have to re upload them to photobucket, delete these, and replace them with the smaller ones.

Packer.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
And a set of inexpensive small jewelers files is what you are looking for. Fine cut so they are easy on aluminum, and an assortment of profiles for different areas.

;)

G

·
3wbdriver said:
And a set of inexpensive small jewelers files is what you are looking for.  Fine cut so they are easy on aluminum, and an assortment of profiles for different areas.

;)
sears makes a nice small set of files just right for what he needs to do for about 10 bucks. If there is a burr there u will feel it, it is a no-brainer to smooth it out. One would have to really wreckless to tak eto kuch metal off there.

·
Registered
449 Posts
broge5 said:
I am curious as to how the extractor got that way. After putting this one in, I'll watch it close.
I don't know about the flat spot, but the rounded edge on the extracter probably came from the factory that way. I think they had a bad batch.

The flat spot likely wasn't damaged by a brass casing, possibly from steel cased ammo. I don't think the barrel could get loose and do something like that. ???

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Needle files. Crafstman makes a nice set but if you aren't going to use them much, you can get some cheap Chinese ones at Harbor Fireght or at a gun show. :-/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.