Any one ever lose a P3AT magazine?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Nu_Agin_Shooter, Jun 19, 2009.

1. I recently sold one of my 3AT's and a pocket holster to a buddy.

[​IMG]

He told me yesterday he was getting something from his safe and noticed the magazine was not in the 3AT!!  :eek:

He had been carrying in his back blue jeans pocket with the GURU DAVE holster shown above.  The 3AT does have a metal mag catch that is filed down just about flush with the frame, and the mag had the pinky extension shown above.

I can see that MAYBE the mag popped loose while carrying, but I can see no way the mag could pop loose AND travel out of his back pocket.  I suggested it may have popped loose in his pocket and then fallen out somewhere between taking the gun out of his pocket and placing it in the safe.  NOTE that he was wearing BLUE JEANS with a snug back pocket- NOT baggy cargo type pants.

SO- To the question-

Anyone here have any similar experience?  Not dropping a mag while firing, but a lost or almost log mag while carrying?

2. abq_sfr

abq_sfr New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    First place I'd look is the crack between the car seat bottom and back, and under the car seat, and everyplace else inside the car, also the cracks in the couches and chairs in the house.  Second place I'd look is the bottom of the washing machine. If it fell out anyplace else, it's likely he would have heard it hit the ground.

3. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Nope never have.

I did have a little Beretta once that would pop the mag out in my pocket occasionally.

But it didn't have enough room to come clear out of the grip while it was still in my pocket.

I've never once had my P3AT come unhinged in my pocket yet.

rc

4. Dugger

Dugger Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Had a belt slide holster that when worn Iwb or on belt the hoslter would hit the mag release button and pop out the mag. had to modify the holster so mag release sat above the holster.

5. Nexttime

Nexttime Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I was moving the P3AT from my car safebox to my front pocket. I keep it in a Desantis pocket holster. The next day I noticed that I didn't have the magazine. Somehow I managed to hit the release and the mag dropped in between the seat and the console.

6. Mike_Patton

Mike_Patton New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    I've got an Uncle Mike's IWB that I wear in the small of my back, left of center (I'm a southpaw), and ever since the time I discovered the mag unseated in the gun after a long motorcycle ride, I've been hyper-conscious of it. I have a backrest on the bike, and assume that I managed to lean back into the gun just right to press it against the back rest and hit the mag release button. The last thing I want to do is reach for it in a time of need and find that all I have left is the round in the tube! I've taken to carrying the pistol in my front jacket pocket when I'm going very far.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Oh, nevermind. :-[

No, I never lost one like that or any other way, except when I put them somewhere and forgot where.  IMO, with a filed down metal mag catch there is no way it popped out.  Even if it did, in that holster, in a pocket, I don't see it escaping.  Me thinks it is somewhere hanging out with a missing sock.  :-?

8. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    While i've never "lost" a magazine, i HAVE misplaced one.......... ;D But i ended up finding it in the bottom of the washing machine. :eek:

9. mydixiwrecked00

mydixiwrecked00 New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    embarassings moment tonight...... i read this thread a while back and thought to myself" how could u lose it. youd hear it hit the ground" well... now i know...

went out on date night tonight with the woman and decided to go into a local spot and have a few drinks. before exiting the car i disarmed myself and stashed the p3at in the armrest and as i was closing the lid noticed THE MAGWELL WAS EMPTY! panic quickly came over me... how could i be so irresponsible. how could i have not heard it hit the floor. or the click of the mag release. im so paranoid of losing a mag im constantly"adjusting my belt" to keep tabs on the mag( really need to file that release down)...i kept retracing my steps in my head, i never heard anything hit the ground. i kept thinking about the confused look on the finders face...it was driving me nuts. it had to be in the car. figured id tear the car apart when we got home. ate diner, went to a movie, came home...

THERE THE LIL BASTID WAS! smirking at me!

i make it a habit to remove the mag and clear the chamber when i come home and get out of my work clothes...if its not on my person its not loaded... call me paranoid but we burried a friend last year whos "unloaded" glock fell off his nightstand when he was in the middle of changing. it went off and killed him.. i know this is a completely different creature but at home i have alternate means of home defense so to unload the pistol when i put it with my wallet and such on the dresser has become routine... when i was getting dressed to run out the door and putting on my necessities i tucked in my p3 and went out the door while the mag hid under the edge of my backpack....

IM AN IDIOT!

tonight after everythign was said and done with ,the woman turns to me and says" im glad u didnt need it, u would have looked really foolish squeezing the trigger on an empty gun. guess u could have always thrown it at them"

10. abq_sfr

abq_sfr New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I thought Glocks were not supposed to do that? Was there a witness? I guess sh1t happens, sorry about your friend.  Once in a while you hear these stories of unloaded guns killing someone, last time here a sheriff's deputy was cleaning a rifle before going hunting and it went off, killing him.  In any case, that's why you always treat an unloaded gun as if loaded, that's the #1 rule of gun ownership.

11. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    sad to hear about your friend. must have been more to the story though. a glock doesnt fire when dropped, loaded or not.

<edit>doh - didnt read the thread to the end, seeing that the point had already been made :-[</edit>

12. mydixiwrecked00

mydixiwrecked00 New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    there's many stories ( urban legends) of glocks mysteriously going off when they hit the ground.. weather its true of not is another story, id say very very unlikely... the chances of them pointing at u when this happened would be even slimmer.. and then being a kill shot.... well, im on the same page as everyone else providing the gun could go off being dropped... BUT

noone was there when it happened. the investigators said there was no way he could have possibly shot himself by the way he was hit.. the investigation concluded that it went off as a result from dropping off the nightstand... so that only leaves one explanation....either way, he will be missed

didnt mean to hi jack this thread... was just putting in my 2 cent on now understanding how u could lose a mag after having it happen to a non believer and the events surrounding it..i was litterally sick to my stomache over it thinking of all the what if's .glad it turned out to be forgetfullness and not negligence...

13. pocketgun

pocketgun Guest

May 4, 2005
    I had the spare mag in its cover slide out of a loose pocket one time, but recovered it after I figured out it was missing.

I think the pinky extension is a really crummy pairing with that anti-print panel and back pocket carry - kind of defeats the whole purpose IMO. In any event, I think the pinky extensions put a lot more pressure on the mag catch - metal or plastic - and wonder if that contributed to the mags disappearance.