any mosin nagant fans ?

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by Shady, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Shady

Shady Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Central Texas
    have you all seen the new archangel stock for the Mosin from ProMag ?

I think its best feature is a removable mag :) I cant wait to get it.

2. welshdude

welshdude New Member

Jan 28, 2013
    tennessee
    Wasn't one until seeing a video of someone in Canada shooting one. It was about a 5 min video. Have always wanted an NG 1895 revolver(or 2...or 3 :p), but was indifferent to the carbines. Now I want an M-38. There is so much history in every one of those rifles it practically drips from the wood. So, yeah, I'm a big fan now.

3. CitizenX

CitizenX Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I have seen on another forum that they may be taking pre-orders.. $199 for the stock and $25 for a 10 round mag. I have a mosin I'd like to try it out on but I think I'll wait to see some unbiased reviews and field reports. On the other hand though, if they sell really well, the price could go up higher too. Hmmm:confused:

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    There are plenty of Mosin fans here, myself included. Looks interesting but a $200 stock is a little much for a rifle I paid $70 for.

This might be better discussed in the other guns section.

5. circlehawk

circlehawk Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Illinois
    It's kind of funny that you posted this as I just got done working on the neighbor's "new" type 53 that has a mangled stock on it. Maybe he can try one out and let me know what he thinks. :D

6. Furtive

Furtive New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Ermahgerd. If it lives up to the manufacturer's claims - ermahgerd. I'll buy one for my 1954 T53, which is currently outfitted with a Monte Carlo stock. 10 round mag? er. mah. gerd.

Thanks for livening up a Monday, Shady.

7. Toney_D

Toney_D Active Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I never could bring myself to buy a ati stock. I think half the fun in sportering one is taking power tools to a stock.

8. Furtive

Furtive New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    Pre-ordered a stock + four 10 rnd mags.

9. HitManX

HitManX Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Funkytown
    Keep us posted on what you think.

I want to buy a crapped out Nagant to sport up.

10. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Probably is very functional, but to my eyes, it sure is ugly. I would just soon stick with my original stock on my Moisin M38. Works great, especially with the 2-7X scout scope installed, and it can be returned to original military simply by reinstalling the rear sight leaf if wanted. Loads of fun shooting it, and it really is accurate. With my handloads, I have shot a number of groups under 1/2 inch which is not bad for a carbine built in 1943, and still pretty much original.

Jim R

11. Furtive

Furtive New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    I agree - it's scary black rifle ugly. But to add detachable magazine capability, it's worth it. And besides - I have a second T53 that's completely original.

12. TxBullDude

TxBullDude New Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Have an m44, a 91/30, and Nagant 7.62 pistol. The pistol is a blast to shoot. But ammo is getting hard to find and I have not figured out how to reload for it.
    As far as changing rifles, I will probably never do so. I like them for the history behind them and sporting them would ruin that. As long as I can find surplus ammo for them I will use them for target practice.

13. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    Gotta agree, it looks cool and the detachable 5- and 10-round mags seem pretty nifty, but I have a hard time justifying the cost of adding a $200 accessory to an $89 rifle.

Kinda reminds me of dudes putting $3000 worth of rims on a $900 Geo Metro.

14. bdmac

bdmac New Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Love mine!

Im getting 6inch groups with open sights @ 100 yards using old spam can mil surp stuff

15. circlehawk

circlehawk Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Illinois
    While I like the removable mags (a lot) on the archangel stock, I do like the look of the wood stocks on the old, historic firearms.

I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but I was wondering if you could send me what kind of scope and mount you are using as my old eyes aren't working like they used to.

16. warrior_oh58d

warrior_oh58d New Member

Aug 23, 2012
    I got a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 for Christmas this year as well as a Nagant revolver. It was a good Christmas for me. I'm headed out to shoot the rifle tomorrow for the first time and I can't wait.

Circle, I don't know what specific mount the previous poster is using but the mount I've got my eye on is the Brass Stacker scout scope mount. Weaver makes some scout scopes...and leatherwood makes one as well. Leopold makes some as well. Some folks are known to put pistol scopes on their scout rifles.

17. jonnin

jonnin Active Member

Sep 28, 2010
    I am a fan from afar. Meaning I have shot a couple but do not care to buy one. The price is right for the gun & the ammo, but its a crude piece even if like new, and while I appreciate wartime manufacturing, I have enough bolt actions. If I did not already have several good rifles, I would certainly get one of these, but I would be extra picky about selecting one.

I like the revolver as well, and may yet get one.

18. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have a few Nagants but like to keep mine like original. Maybe if I find a beater I would modify it.
    [​IMG]

19. Toney_D

Toney_D Active Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I wish they were still $30, I paid more for the scope bases than I did for the rifles.

I ordered a lot of gunsmith specials from sog, so hacking one up was no big deal. Also every gs special was twice as good as any I bought from the lgs.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  20. T_McD

T_McD New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Yep saw the new stock and drooled over it but like many other cannot spend so much $$ just to have 5 extra rounds (stock mosin holds 5). I would buy 2 more mosins or ammo instead.