Any improvements from Kel-tec on CMR-30

Discussion in 'CMR-30' started by lab-rat, Mar 20, 2017.

1. lab-rat

lab-rat Active Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Are the CMR-30's that are new in the stores being sold today any different from the first ones that came out of the factory? Has Kel-tec made any improvements to the gun, or is it identical to the first ones they made? It has been for sale for a couple years now, and I would hope that they have most of the bugs worked out. Should I wait a few more years to buy one, or are they good to go now?

2. curtmini14

curtmini14 Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    nth az
    mine has been rock solid so far over 1800 rds only issues are ammo related duds and 30 gn.go to go imop.

KrautBurner likes this.

3. ItBeMe

ItBeMe New Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Georgia
    To be on the safe side I would wait 20 more years. To be safe.

KrautBurner, tx-rvr and texanzone like this.
  4. Desert

Desert Member

Mar 14, 2015
    how much are they now? I have a pmr 30, would love to have the companion!

5. curtmini14

curtmini14 Active Member

Jan 12, 2016
    nth az
    well after well over 2000 rds my cmr has been awsome even 30 gn ammo is starting to cycle.and my accuracy is great.as fun as these are i cant belive we have so few comments about them.

KrautBurner likes this.
  6. 1badbagger

1badbagger Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Love mine. 3 months old. Shoots fine.

7. Klussdog

Klussdog Member

Aug 5, 2019
    I just picked on up this week for $460 - Brand New and not used or traded in!

8. wanderson

wanderson Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    No changes since day one, same design.
    Not sure if there’s a redesigned firing pin like the PMR got.
    Supposedly KT has newer/better mag springs although I’ve had no issues with mine.
    Wasn’t that long ago these were rare and pricey, now I see em everywhere, like sub2ks. So if you don’t buy one now, you just don’t want one.
    Full disclosure, the only firearm I ever sent back was my CMR, the bolt came loose from the carrier on the first mag. When it came back, it ran 100% with any ammo and groups great. My PMR can’t claim that.

9. yote72571

yote72571 Member

Jan 28, 2020
    All I can say is you are missing a lot of fun by waiting to buy one.

10. Maresleg

Maresleg Member

Feb 22, 2020
    I have only about 350 rounds of 40 gr CCI through mine but I really like it. 100% reliable so far. Rides beautifully in my truck. I had to buy the mag limiters as I live in Kolorado.

11. KrautBurner

KrautBurner Active Member

what bugs needed working out?

I dont know about the "old" ones, but mine (purchased in fall 2019) runs fine
    I had a few hangups in the first couple magazines, but the next 250rds went just fine

curtmini14 likes this.
  12. John Galt

John Galt Member

Sep 5, 2020
    I've shot a few hundred rounds through two different CMR30s, both recent builds (probably 2019). A blast to shoot but even using a quality mag loader and being very careful to load the mags correctly I was still dealing with roughly 1 FTE per mag using 40gn Norma ammo.
    The serial numbers of the rifles started with Y6 and Y1. What I suspect to be the more recently built rifle has less pronounced knurling on the thread cover on the end of the barrel and a larger recessed area where the serial number is allowing me to see Cocoa FL, CMR30, .22wmr. The slightly older rifle has a smaller serial number area and only shows the serial number.
    There obviously have been some minor changes in the build between these two rifles. A quick visual inspection of the inside while cleaning didn't show any obvious changes.

13. John Galt

John Galt Member

Sep 5, 2020
    Update to the post I made last week.
    With over 500 rounds through each of the CMR30 rifles I've been playing with both have shot perfectly the last 200 rnds with no problems using both Norma 40 gn and Federal 50 gn bullets. A few hundred break in rounds combined good oiling with grease in the bolt slides (as suggested in the instructions) seems to make these rifles reliable.
    Damn fun rifles to shoot. But I highly recommend a LULA mag loader to load the rimfire shells.

Get one. go to gunbroker.com and order a 2000 rnd case of shells and enjoy shooting this fine rifle.

Klussdog likes this.
  14. CMR30Operator

CMR30Operator Member

May 27, 2019
    This interested me about using grease... got me thinking about my CPL everywhere and go approach, so gave the manual another read. It says:

I lol'ed. According to this instruction... I have been over lubricating to say the least, having read before that the CMR-30 likes to run wet.

I will try a more targeted lube strategy with grease my next cleaning.

I consistently have FTF issues between 200-400 rounds after a cleaning. I wonder if over lubing is contributing to this.

15. jonnin

jonnin Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    could also be that lube attracts junk and becomes more like glue than lube over time. When you clean it, is the lube or area in question dirty?

16. jaboomgaarden

jaboomgaarden Member

Aug 23, 2020
    What about dry lube? Try that out and see what happens. I don't have much experience with dry lube... so i'm just throwing out an idea.

17. CMR30Operator

CMR30Operator Member

May 27, 2019
    Spent some time looking into this and generally dry lubes don't sound like a good idea for me.

Consensus is dry lubes don't run as well when dirty as the debris does not get (as) lubricated hindering function. Though dry lubes excel with dry / gritty environments also the very wet.

Note: Don't use graphite on steal or aluminum. You may damage your firearm.

18. jaboomgaarden

jaboomgaarden Member

Aug 23, 2020
    Sounds about right. I also did a little research. Sounds like dry lube is not good for direct impingement like ARs because it pumps debris right back into the action. Dry lube does work better for direct blowback like the CMR, ruger 10 22, etc although the dirtier it is, the worse it gets as you suggested. Lube helps keep the dirt "suspended", so its probably a better option.

I think I'll give her a whirl anyway, see what happens. I've got some hot shot for casings I use sitting on my bench.