Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the CMR-30's that are new in the stores being sold today any different from the first ones that came out of the factory? Has Kel-tec made any improvements to the gun, or is it identical to the first ones they made? It has been for sale for a couple years now, and I would hope that they have most of the bugs worked out. Should I wait a few more years to buy one, or are they good to go now?

·
Registered
53 Posts
well after well over 2000 rds my cmr has been awsome even 30 gn ammo is starting to cycle.and my accuracy is great.as fun as these are i cant belive we have so few comments about them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
No changes since day one, same design.
Not sure if there’s a redesigned firing pin like the PMR got.
Supposedly KT has newer/better mag springs although I’ve had no issues with mine.
Wasn’t that long ago these were rare and pricey, now I see em everywhere, like sub2ks. So if you don’t buy one now, you just don’t want one.
Full disclosure, the only firearm I ever sent back was my CMR, the bolt came loose from the carrier on the first mag. When it came back, it ran 100% with any ammo and groups great. My PMR can’t claim that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have only about 350 rounds of 40 gr CCI through mine but I really like it. 100% reliable so far. Rides beautifully in my truck. I had to buy the mag limiters as I live in Kolorado.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are the CMR-30's that are new in the stores being sold today any different from the first ones that came out of the factory? Has Kel-tec made any improvements to the gun, or is it identical to the first ones they made? It has been for sale for a couple years now, and I would hope that they have most of the bugs worked out. Should I wait a few more years to buy one, or are they good to go now?
what bugs needed working out?

I dont know about the "old" ones, but mine (purchased in fall 2019) runs fine
I had a few hangups in the first couple magazines, but the next 250rds went just fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've shot a few hundred rounds through two different CMR30s, both recent builds (probably 2019). A blast to shoot but even using a quality mag loader and being very careful to load the mags correctly I was still dealing with roughly 1 FTE per mag using 40gn Norma ammo.
The serial numbers of the rifles started with Y6 and Y1. What I suspect to be the more recently built rifle has less pronounced knurling on the thread cover on the end of the barrel and a larger recessed area where the serial number is allowing me to see Cocoa FL, CMR30, .22wmr. The slightly older rifle has a smaller serial number area and only shows the serial number.
There obviously have been some minor changes in the build between these two rifles. A quick visual inspection of the inside while cleaning didn't show any obvious changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update to the post I made last week.
With over 500 rounds through each of the CMR30 rifles I've been playing with both have shot perfectly the last 200 rnds with no problems using both Norma 40 gn and Federal 50 gn bullets. A few hundred break in rounds combined good oiling with grease in the bolt slides (as suggested in the instructions) seems to make these rifles reliable.
Damn fun rifles to shoot. But I highly recommend a LULA mag loader to load the rimfire shells.

Get one. go to gunbroker.com and order a 2000 rnd case of shells and enjoy shooting this fine rifle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
... A few hundred break in rounds combined good oiling with grease in the bolt slides (as suggested in the instructions) seems to make these rifles reliable. ...
This interested me about using grease... got me thinking about my CPL everywhere and go approach, so gave the manual another read. It says:

CMR-30 Manual said:
Apply a drop or two of gun oil or grease to the guide slots on the right and left side of the bolt.
I lol'ed. According to this instruction... I have been over lubricating to say the least, having read before that the CMR-30 likes to run wet.

I will try a more targeted lube strategy with grease my next cleaning.

I consistently have FTF issues between 200-400 rounds after a cleaning. I wonder if over lubing is contributing to this.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
could also be that lube attracts junk and becomes more like glue than lube over time. When you clean it, is the lube or area in question dirty?

·
Registered
40 Posts
What about dry lube? Try that out and see what happens. I don't have much experience with dry lube... so i'm just throwing out an idea.

could also be that lube attracts junk and becomes more like glue than lube over time. When you clean it, is the lube or area in question dirty?

·
Registered
62 Posts
What about dry lube? Try that out and see what happens. I don't have much experience with dry lube... so i'm just throwing out an idea.
Spent some time looking into this and generally dry lubes don't sound like a good idea for me.

Consensus is dry lubes don't run as well when dirty as the debris does not get (as) lubricated hindering function. Though dry lubes excel with dry / gritty environments also the very wet.

Note: Don't use graphite on steal or aluminum. You may damage your firearm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Spent some time looking into this and generally dry lubes don't sound like a good idea for me.

Consensus is dry lubes don't run as well when dirty as the debris does not get (as) lubricated hindering function. Though dry lubes excel with dry / gritty environments also the very wet.

Note: Don't use graphite on steal or aluminum. You may damage your firearm.
Sounds about right. I also did a little research. Sounds like dry lube is not good for direct impingement like ARs because it pumps debris right back into the action. Dry lube does work better for direct blowback like the CMR, ruger 10 22, etc although the dirtier it is, the worse it gets as you suggested. Lube helps keep the dirt "suspended", so its probably a better option.

I think I'll give her a whirl anyway, see what happens. I've got some hot shot for casings I use sitting on my bench.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anybody done the mcarbo ss feedramp mod on the CMR? Doesn't look difficult at all, just seeing if someone has experience with it.

Read some reviews on the mcarbo website. This is from "Sweetpo"

Watch the installation video on YouTube first!!! I installed it on a CMR 30. I made a tool, to put the spring in the hole, by cutting a notch into an old micro flat head I had lying around. Otherwise buy the tool that M Carbo sells. I shot 140 rounds at the range, after installation, and the carbine functioned flawlessly. Too bad it didn’t come from the factory like this as it was plagued with FTF’s and FTE’s prior to installation of the MCarbo parts. Thanks to Chris and the gang at MCarbo for making my CMR 30 great again!!

Edit

Also, one review suggested it required installing their upgraded ss mag release too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Has anybody done the mcarbo ss feedramp mod on the CMR? Doesn't look difficult at all, just seeing if someone has experi...
I have... Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. A new range officer didn't wan't me shooting 22mag for what ever reason so just shot some 9mm and haven't been back yet.

My breach also required some removal at the bottom where it married up to the feed ramp for there to be a flush transition... Funny enough I had to remove less material from the sides as a few thousand rounds and going to town with a honing brush had already done most of the work.

I see where this improve things.. but Afterwards I am wondering if a MCARBO loading breach would be nice. The finished result does not look intentional or factory, though certainly serviceable.

The mag release is not stainless, just plastic. The features are that it is recessed, and holds the mags up higher. I could care less for it being recessed, I slightly prefer the ergonomics of the original. People that have an issue with negligent mag release may really like this though. The point of holding the mag up higher is to reduce play in the mag when inserted allowing more consistent feeding additionally when the mags are help up higher the rounds feed at a shallower angle keeping the round more on track as it loads.

While untested on my end as of yet it looks like everything checks so far.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts