Any ideas for smoother charging beyond the MCARBO improved handle?

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by Tcaponata, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Tcaponata

Tcaponata Member

May 31, 2018
    I've upgraded my new Gen 2 with the double-finger charging handle (among other things in the works), but I was wondering if there is any way beyond that to make charging smoother and easier (less muscle required to pull the charging handle)?

I'm thinking a thorough cleaning and lubricating of the bolt assembly and chamber with a bit more lube than you might normally use. And am wondering if the spring, which came very dry, almost as though it had never been lubed. Would keeping it a bit more lubed than normal make charging any easier?

Any other home fix ideas for smoother, easier charging?

2. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    It's the nature of the beast. Technique rather than "fixes" will help.

You've pretty much done all the fixes you can here. There is very little friction in the system. Note how easily the bolt slides back and forth when there's no spring in the system. A light coat of CLP is all ya need on the bolt and spring. Any heavier lubrication will attract dirt which will make the system harder to work as will grease which adds friction.

Several techniques have been posted here. Try them until you find one that works best for you.

-- Chuck

Tcaponata and 3wbdriver like this.

3. Tcaponata

Tcaponata Member

May 31, 2018
    Thanks, Chuck. I expected that would be the real answer. I can charge it fine; just thought it was a little rough compared to other weapons.

4. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Keeping the bolt locked to the rear while the gun is in storage may lessen the spring rate a bit. May being the operative word. Properly designed springs don't take "sets" other than a very long time. Otherwise we'd all be driving "low riders." :)

-- Chuck

Roundabout likes this.
  5. Tcaponata

Tcaponata Member

May 31, 2018
    Ha! True! Thanks so much for the advice. Glad I signed up for this.

6. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Until it breaks. People on the MCarbo board about the 2 finger charging handle breaking during firing time. Chris is stupidly silent. I have one. Haven't installed it. I feel I will need to take the factory piece in my range bag. https://forum.mcarbo.com/t/broken-charging-handle/1249/43