Any difference in weapon control/recoil with AL?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by compuvette, Aug 12, 2008.

1. compuvette

compuvette New Member

Aug 5, 2008
    My Armalaser will be here tomorrow. Just wondering with the slightly different grip and an extra two ounces out towards the front if the Armalaser helps the controlability of the little bugger any.

2. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Re: Any difference in weapon control/recoil with A

I was lucky to keep my groupings inside a 9" paper plate befor installing my armalaser. After, I could get 3" groupings at normal operating ranges, but I did not notice griping any differently or controling differency. Good Luck after sighting in. Tom

3. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

I didn't notice any any appreciable difference in perceived recoil. There is a very, very slight difference in front weight.

I think you'll see noticeably tighter groups with the laser.

The laser really seems to amplify the natural drifting most people have during during normal sighting. Don't get too caught up with the bouncing dot, just shoot when it's near the X.

Bobo

4. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007

No effect on grip at all. That's one of the great things about the AL over the CT.

On the other hand, installing the AL is more difficult than the CT. The first pin goes in ok, but the 2nd pin needs some help. I filed the sharp 90 degree outer edge of that 2nd pin off - to give it a bit of a taper - before trying to tap it into the polymer frame.

Like the earlier poster said - you'll be amazed at the improvement in accuracy. With a bit of practice, you'll be faster on target as well. Enjoy your new toy, and post some pics!

5. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado

Like the other guys were saying, I don't think it changes any recoil issues enough to be noticed. I think it does tighten your groups for the simple fact that you can now see how much your hand moves as you get closer to the end of that long DA trigger. I think it helps make a better shooter out the average shooter. I'm not a bad shooter but I'm no great shot by any means either. But I have noticed siince using my laser that I have tighter groups and I'm more consistant! But be patient and get it sighted in just right. Then take some time to get used to using it, as it took me a few clips to adjust from standard sights to the laser. But also remember to go back and do some shooting without the laser ocassionally just in case you have a failure. Just like any type of shooting practice. IE: weak hand shooting, clearing FTE's and FTF's etc..

6. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006

The AL has improved my grip when shooting with a two handed grip doing the "push /pull? grip.

the frame of the AL allows me to slide my weak hand a little forward and "grip" the AL with the side of my thumb and forefinger. Looks odd but its comfortable and provides a steady grip with fast follow up shots..

Certainly not a text book grip but then again what about these things is text book?

7. compuvette

compuvette New Member

Aug 5, 2008

Thanks for all the responses guys. The AL came in yesterday and I'll be mounting it today. Then I just gotta sight it in........

8. Ape

Ape New Member

Jul 16, 2008
    Colorado

CONGRATS!!!!!!! ;D When you sight it in it helps to use a base of some sort like wood or sand bags. But it isn't a must since you just need to sight it in well enough for "defensive" use. Since the KT's aren't designed to be "range" pounders you really just need it accurate enough to light up a BG at center mass. But having it pretty close to dead on (no pun intended) will make it more fun at the range as well. ;)

9. whit101

whit101 New Member

Jun 28, 2008

I'm new to CCW. Lot'a talk about type ammo, recoil, big bores, etc. I've seen many video showing folks shooting "everthing". But, no one ever shows the target, where did the rounds impact?

My question is. Is the P3-AT accurate at 7-10yards? How about Ruger LCP? If the bullets don't go were I'm aiming then stopping power don't mean nothing. I would prefer to hit a bad guy in the eye with a spit-wad than to miss him with a cannon.

Any help here?

Whit101

10. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007

With the AL, I can hit a stationary 7 yard target mark within +/- 1 inch using a 2 handed grip and slow steady aim.

Is that what I'll do if I am unfortunate enough to have to use it for real? Of course not - I'll be fighting for my life, have zero time to aim, be shaking, may only have 1 hand - and may not even see the red laser dot on the dark clothing of the moving BG.

Seeing as you can't control the situation - the next best thing is to practice so you know what to do. This is different for each individual. For me, it means 2 things: 1. Hold the P3AT with a vice grip so it doesnt FTE - 2. Fire at least 3 shots. That last one comes from regular experience at the range of pulling from my carry holster under the pressure of a beep timer. I find it usually takes 3 shots to hit center of mass once on a stationary 7 yard target.

So, what do you do to see to it that you can hit the target when it counts?

11. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005

For defensive shooting, for which the P-3AT is intended, the goal is to hit as close to the center of COM as possible at all distances.

The P-3AT is meant for close-in shooting (bad-breath distance to about 21 feet) At this distance shots should be within 1.5” of POA or about a 3” group or smaller. Most P-3AT shooters I’ve seen can do groups of 2” or less at about 15 feet fast-fire. At 30 feet that would be 4” group. That is plenty good for defensive use.

Of course shooting slow-fire and/or supported would give even better results.

I haven’t seen or heard a lot about the LCP yet (it’s still new), but since it’s pretty much a direct clone of the P-3AT I imagine the results would be similar.

Bobo

12. whit101

whit101 New Member

Jun 28, 2008

Thanks for the input.  POA 1.5" to 4".  Wow!  Well I have a long way to go.  The folks that do this, are they using the pistol sights?  Or are they "point and shoot".  I find it hard to beleive that an average Joe could pop-off three rounds into a tea cup while the bad guy is charging at them.  

Can you do it?

I'm hoping that I can hit the bad guy's body once or twice within my first 3 rounds.  And, I don't beleive I will be able to get a good sight pitcure, before firing, unless, the bad guy will stand still while I line up the sights.

Whit101

13. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006

Sometimes if I'm feeling squirrelly I'll push mine out to 25yds or so. They are VERY accurate pistols once you get some range time in.