Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Start off calling softly in case there are any in the immediate area so they don't get spooked. A locator howl isn't the best this time of year as most females are really hungry right about now. Try a rabbit squeel first or some small critter call to get their mouths watering. Are you going to carry a side arm?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are hunting with ar15's. Probably won't have any sidearms. My brother bought a fox pro electronic call so that's what we'll be using.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Only call I have ever used is a wounded rabbit  mouth call never have used electronic calls. I have had good luck and pulled em in from a mile out (remember they got good ears). Check the wind and watch each others backs. Had a friend go out alone an got jumped on by a bobcat  :eek:, course the cat jumped off pretty quick when that 165 # rabbit started screaming  ;D

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
We try to give them a break this time of year.

They have pups in the spring, and I don't want to kill their mommas and cause them all to starve to death in the den!

If your intent is to eradicate them all from the earth, go for it.

But we like to see a new crop every spring so we got them to hunt the rest of the year.

rc

·
Registered
4 Posts
2000silverz28 said:
We are hunting with ar15's.  Probably won't have any sidearms.  My brother bought a fox pro electronic call so that's what we'll be using.  
First tip: ditch the fauxpro and buy a real caller!

second: coyote vocals (locator call) works all the time. It creates a territorial response.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
NHmike said:
[quote author=2000silverz28 link=1304542758/0#2 date=1304551768]We are hunting with ar15's.  Probably won't have any sidearms.  My brother bought a fox pro electronic call so that's what we'll be using.  
First tip: [highlight]ditch the fauxpro and buy a real caller![/highlight]

second: coyote vocals (locator call) works all the time. It creates a territorial response.
[/quote]

Wow.

That's harsh. Mine works fine, and plenty of others have success with them.

You want to add some suggested models, brand, techniques ?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I get out as often as I can but not nearly as much as I would like to! That thing called work keeps getting in my way!

I have killed 6 this years so far. I like using my 243 for them during the day but at night but at night I gear up a bit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Always keep your eyes moving. I've had hawks swoop at me thinking I was an easy meal. I've also had deer check me out. A rabbit distress sounds similar to a fawn. Last fall I had a nice 8 point within 5 yards trying to figure out what I was and what was going on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use to in Arizona. It was a blast. Gearing up now to start again. To bad we cannot use night vision here in Missouri....legally.....LOL
Just ordered some cans for some quite time.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Never hunted coyote. It does sound like fun and a service to the community. What do you do with the coyote once you kill it? Do you bury it or just let it be eaten by buzzards?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will be eating at least part of my next one. My first was so covered in lice the fur moved by itself. ditched that one.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.