Any coyote hunters here?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by 2000silverz28, May 4, 2011.

1. 2000silverz28

2000silverz28 New Member

May 7, 2009
    Me and my brother are about to try out coyote hunting. Anybody have any tips?

2. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Start off calling softly in case there are any in the immediate area so they don't get spooked. A locator howl isn't the best this time of year as most females are really hungry right about now. Try a rabbit squeel first or some small critter call to get their mouths watering. Are you going to carry a side arm?

3. 2000silverz28

2000silverz28 New Member

May 7, 2009
    We are hunting with ar15's. Probably won't have any sidearms. My brother bought a fox pro electronic call so that's what we'll be using.

4. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Only call I have ever used is a wounded rabbit  mouth call never have used electronic calls. I have had good luck and pulled em in from a mile out (remember they got good ears). Check the wind and watch each others backs. Had a friend go out alone an got jumped on by a bobcat  :eek:, course the cat jumped off pretty quick when that 165 # rabbit started screaming  ;D

5. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    We try to give them a break this time of year.

They have pups in the spring, and I don't want to kill their mommas and cause them all to starve to death in the den!

If your intent is to eradicate them all from the earth, go for it.

But we like to see a new crop every spring so we got them to hunt the rest of the year.

rc

6. tracker15

tracker15 New Member

Mar 12, 2011
  7. 2000silverz28

2000silverz28 New Member

May 7, 2009
    More links would be great.

8. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
  9. 2000silverz28

2000silverz28 New Member

May 7, 2009
    Thanks! I didn't realize there were that many out there.

10. Arkon

Arkon New Member

May 6, 2011
    Lots of websites have downloadable calls that you can save and upload to your caller.

11. tracker15

tracker15 New Member

Mar 12, 2011
  12. NHmike

NHmike New Member

Apr 5, 2011
    First tip: ditch the fauxpro and buy a real caller!

second: coyote vocals (locator call) works all the time. It creates a territorial response.

13. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    First tip: [highlight]ditch the fauxpro and buy a real caller![/highlight]

second: coyote vocals (locator call) works all the time. It creates a territorial response.
    [/quote]

Wow.

That's harsh. Mine works fine, and plenty of others have success with them.

You want to add some suggested models, brand, techniques ?

14. shottingcouple

shottingcouple New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I get out as often as I can but not nearly as much as I would like to! That thing called work keeps getting in my way!

I have killed 6 this years so far. I like using my 243 for them during the day but at night but at night I gear up a bit.
    [​IMG]

15. snyguy

snyguy New Member

May 23, 2011
    Always keep your eyes moving. I've had hawks swoop at me thinking I was an easy meal. I've also had deer check me out. A rabbit distress sounds similar to a fawn. Last fall I had a nice 8 point within 5 yards trying to figure out what I was and what was going on.

16. btb601

btb601 New Member

Jul 23, 2011
    I use to in Arizona. It was a blast. Gearing up now to start again. To bad we cannot use night vision here in Missouri....legally.....LOL
    Just ordered some cans for some quite time.

17. uniongap

uniongap New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Peachtree City, Ga
    Never hunted coyote. It does sound like fun and a service to the community. What do you do with the coyote once you kill it? Do you bury it or just let it be eaten by buzzards?

18. Huntinbull

Huntinbull New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Kent Oh
    I will be eating at least part of my next one. My first was so covered in lice the fur moved by itself. ditched that one.