Answer to my question about .380 Buffalo Bore ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Jul 5, 2010.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    My question

The answer I received today:

[reason]to correct brand name[/reason]

2. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Re: Answer to my question about .380 Big Bore ammu

Hmmm, promises nothing - as expected. Until I see it on a big name web site like Midway, I wouldn't touch it. Glad I stocked up last year when BB still had Gold Dots - before they switched without telling an unsuspecting public. If I didn't have those, I would be using Speer.

For siteing in and range practice, I use DoubleTap. For carry, maybe BB will return to selling actual gold dots - instead of bullets that look similar. Here is what real Gold Dots look like, in 3 different brands from last year. Click to expand the photo so that you can see the top and side of the deep V grooves...

[​IMG]

Power isn't as important as accuracy though. If you aren't used to higher power loads, or don't want to beat up your P3AT, an excellent lower power load that I would recommend is the Federal Hydra Shok. One of the very few manufacturers I know of that seals both primer and bullet from moisture damage, and has a well balanced bullet/power design.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Big Bore? Did you mean Buffalo Bore?

4. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009

Good catch !
    Was tired :)
    Yes, it is Buffalo Bore.

5. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

Perhaps an edit to the subject line would be in order for others browsing the forum. :)

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

I wouldn't trust them, they ran out of Gold dots and used Sierra(?) and didn't tell anyone of the change.

I have shot them in the past and I like the idea of hotter loaded 380 ammo. But I think it might be a little to much for my P3, the assembly pin walked out one time and the trigger pin also moved out of place. I can't say it was the BB ammo's fault for sure but the only time it happened I was shooting BB. Also I tend to get "smileys" and they seemed worse with the +P ammo. Right now I carry DPX and I'm pretty happy with it.

CJ

7. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

Hmm...I didn't know that they changed loads. :-? I've been looking for BB because of the much higher ft-lbs of energy they offer, but I'd want the expansion as well.

Do you have documentation to support the use of Sierra bullets?

I can understand not shooting them regularly as these guns were not built with this hotter ammo in mind. But I can see shooting enough to make sure they work in the gun, cleaning and checking the gun and then loading up with them for carry.

Non-affiliated gel tests are showing about 233-255ft-lbs of energy. That really makes these smaller rounds much more accepted as a better defense round. http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202857757

8. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Re: Answer to my question about .380 Buffalo Bore

Here is the thread about the change. Also I have a box of left over BB that is defiantly not Gold Dots.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1247364173/0

Also I had the failure of my weapon during testing the ammo for carry, I've shot less than 40 rounds of BB in my P3at.
    It's just not for me.

CJ

9. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

Wow, reliability and consistency mean so much in self-defense ammo. I guess I'll just stick with my Speer Gold Dots. :cool:

10. gordon11

gordon11 Active Member

Dec 30, 2007

Gold Dots and DPX are my favorite carry rounds for my P3AT. Lately been leaning toward the Gold Dots.
    Buffalo Bore makes decent revolver rounds but the inconsistent bullet loadings in their semi-auto ammo has steered me away from them for my Kel-tec.

11. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

12. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Hi,

Has anyone tested the Buffalo Bore Ammo loaded with the Sierra? The only reason I mention this is that Goldenloki did test the Corbon in 10% gelatin which is loaded with the Sierra bullet I think. The bullet expanded to 0.463" and penetrated 13.3" through several layers of denim. I think this is decent performance and if Buffalo Bore is the same or close to the Corbon its still a decent load isn't it?

Best Regards