Another wetpack test to compare DPX v.s. GD, etc.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by oldgranpa, Mar 9, 2010.

1. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Had a chance to do another wetpack and Chrony test yesterday with the P3AT and P380 pistols. The complete report is at usrange.org at this link....
    http://usrange.org/smf/index.php?topic=4055.0

But I've posted the photobucket link for the wetpack here for our friends so they don't have to register at usr to see it.....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/oldgranpa/WetpackDPXvsGD3-8-2010.jpg

IMHO, the clear winner appears to be the Speer GoldDot 90gr JHP, excellent penetration with fair expansion. JMMV.

Cheers,
    og

Oh, BTW, I should mention there were no malfunctions with either pistol during the tests. None!

2. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Re: Another wetpack test to compare DPX v.s. GD, e

Have you compared the Gold Dots against the Critical Defense yet?

I'm currently carrying the CorBon jhp's. My critical defense should be here next week from Cabela's.
    I do have a box of the Gold Dots, but haven't carried them yet.

I've got three good rounds but not sure which one to carry. I've shot all except the critical defense and have had no problems with any of them.
    Was planning on carrying the critical defense once they arrived.

Your thoughts ???

3. Zip196

Zip196 New Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoFL

Thanks Oldgranpa - (my father is Grampa to my kids).

How is the recoil/kick on the Gold Dots? Any noticible difference? I have some on order.

I found the 9mm Gold Dots to be a bit snappier than the Golden Sabers or practice ammo.

:cool:

4. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007

Good news for me! I just bought 150 Gold Dots for my P3AT recently. They were available at Midway for about $17-ish per box of 20.

Thanks for all the hard work you do!!!!!!

5. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004

thanks all for the replies. To answer as best as I can...

No Hornady CD available that I could find for the test so not included. Won't be doing another wetpack anytime soon. Just getting too old. Hope some of you will continue the effort.

Recoil with the GoldDot ammo was really no different than just plain FMJ. The Ranger T 95gr ammo actually had more felt recoil.
    The Speer GD I used was new "bonded" stuff and it came in a 50 round box. Check ammo sites and it can be found.

I probably won't recommend the CorBon stuff, high price, etc. Especially since the GoldDot ammo did so well and can get it now in 50 round box for about the same price as 20 rounds of DPX.

For your P3AT, be sure and test a few mags of ammo you plan to use to be sure it functions well.

og

6. p3atLover

p3atLover New Member

Jan 25, 2010

Wow, thanks for the effort you put into that. Much appreciated!

7. rosieK

rosieK New Member

Jun 10, 2009

Silly question that probably deserves a pointed answer but why would anyone have to buy more than a box of expensive top of the line type defensive ammunition? As a matter of fact all you really need are 7 cartridges after all is said and done and you have proved that the chosen ammunition does function well in the 3AT and so do you when firing it. I assume the only answer is that you prefer to practice quite a bit with what you would eventually rely on, and I guess that is the answer that I will get to this post. IMHO practicing with 3AT-acceptable ammunition that sells for 1/2 to 1/3 as much will prepare me just as well without spending a bunch of money on ammunition. Just sayin. Be safe everyone and hope you only have to use the ammunition for practice.

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas

Considering many of these rounds come in boxes of 20, most folks would want to see a couple boxes perform flawlessly before carrying with a given round. A general rule of thumb on minimums... Normally, I would want to see several hundred rounds through a gun before using it for SD with 50+ rounds of the chosen SD round having worked exceptionally well. Some folks are happy with less, others want to see more, so consider that an average.

9. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

Considering many of these rounds come in boxes of 20, most folks would want to see a couple boxes perform flawlessly before carrying with a given round.  A general rule of thumb on minimums... Normally, I would want to see several hundred rounds through a gun before using it for SD with 50+ rounds of the chosen SD round having worked exceptionally well.  Some folks are happy with less, others want to see more, so consider that an average.
    [/quote]

what he said, +100000000

10. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004

very interesting subject...buying more than one box of JHP, or any ammo for that matter.

Some of us like to shoot things with our ammo to see what it does. And even more important, to see what the pistol does. Agreed, we need to be sure it functions well with more than just one magazine.

Plus, some of us have more than one kind of 380 pistol. I've had as many as 5 different kinds at one time and like to compare them with wetpacks, Chrony velocity tests, target accuracy, and such. So, let's see...if I shoot 2 in wetpack, 2 with Chrony, 2 at a target, that's 6. And if I did it with all 5 pistols, well, that's 30 rounds and I've already used a box and a half. Call me nuts, fine. YMMV. ;D

Besides, the way I like to check a pistol for malfuncions is load a magazine with different types of ammo, at random, and see how it does. Do it several times, loading the magazine in a different way with different ammo each time.
    If it shoots all of it without a burp, you know you have a good pistol and the ammo you tried is good also. Doing that takes more than one box.

So when I found the box of Speer GD with 50 rounds I got it. Now I still have half a box for more tests in the future.

Whatever!

Cheers,
    og........who might be full of BS sometimes! ::)