Another Preening question!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gatorhugger, Feb 19, 2008.

1. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I am new but have been around enough to see the same aggravating questions over and over. I searched for my answer beforehand but didn't find it, so here goes. Sorry for the question really, the old timers here may, and probably already have answered this a hundred times. Nature of forums I guess.

I bought my HC last month. It is JHPxx. I have no idea what the heck that means, I have read TX explaination of the serial numbers, I have studied his charts. SLOWLY. He is smarter than me! It's greek. So I don't know when it was born. That is my first question.

Second, Is this gun liable to have the preening issues? Do I need washers? From what I have read its a distortion, hole, or widening around the guide rod. How can you tell if it's developing? anybody got a picture of the problem??? A picture is worth a thousand words. Mine has a lot of metal around the rod. Don't they all? How can a plastic rod cause the metal to erode if that's what happens. Somebody please lecture me on Preening and maybe a picture please. I searched the forum and couldn't find a lot of facts.

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    GH - your JH is well past the J5/J6 set of slides that were subject to Peening (note no "r").  There are some great pictures around and I'll try and find one and edit this, but you can too by using search and looking for P3AT and Peening.

This is peening:
    [​IMG]

In short it was caused by too thin of metal (and possibly a hardening issue) around the guide rod hole and the guide rod moving in and out wore through.  It is not uncommon to have a very slight ridge form around the guide rod early on and be just barely noticeable and stay that way - that is not peening.  Getting bigger and letting the springs fly out the front - that is peening.

Literally there are 100s of posts on it if you want more details.

-Scott

PS - you are in good company on the serial number thing. I think only Tx, Wifey and a few other geniuses really understand it.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Do you get a plastic guide rod...Mine is steel

4. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    If I were you I wouldn't worry about peening. Shoot the gun and keep an eye on the hole in the slide. If peening seems to be starting you have two choices; 1. install a washer or 2. call Kel-Tec and arrange for an exchange.

[​IMG]

5. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Good job Bobo.  And the P3AT guide rods are steel, not plastic. Note also that the lower left of the quad pictures has been known to be "normal" in that it gets to about that point and stays there forever.

-Scott

6. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    appreciate it. No wonder I couldn't find anything on it, it helps to spell it right. I searched "pictures preening"
    Now that I think of it and look at it on the screen, that sounds like a search for XXX stuff! I kept looking for gun repair and got Jessica Alba. :eek:
    I will try again.
    Nice to know mine isn't affected by the PEENING issue. I will sleep better tonight. Even without Ms. Alba!

7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Beautiful picture, that said it all. When I read about thin metal around rod, I was looking down at the muzzle end of the slide and saying, well it looks like they put the hole dead center in the slide, right under the bore, it's not offcenter or anything. Didn't know the thickness was measured the other way.
    Yes, the newbie tag stays on the Gator a while longer. :-[

( and yes it is metal, Don't know why I thought it was plastic)
    Thanks guys.

8. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    For what it is worth ... Shortly after coming here to Ktog I read about "peening" and sure enough found that it was happpening with my gun (J2Rxx). I bought the nylon washers, shaped and installed one and it appears :),  with 171 rounds through the gun with the washer on, that the peening has not advanced. (I do however want the slide replaced but will not be contacting Kel-Tec until I get a second P3AT)

Take care ...

9. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    They must have fixed the problem quite well. I guess I have about 150 rounds through it. It still looks new, no slight bulge, nothing. See fellows you just have to wait about 10 years until the bugs are out. :)