Another P-3AT Load/WetPack Test W/Pic's

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ArticleIVSection4, Mar 14, 2010.

1. ArticleIVSection4

ArticleIVSection4 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Denver Co.
    Here is the .380 load I make for my P3AT.
    90 grain Hornady XTP, 3.35 grains of Alliant Red Dot, Remington 1 1/2 primer, Over All Length @ .965"
    Formed by Lee carbide die's and the Lee Factory crimp die.
    Shoots out the P-3AT @ 948 feet per second Av. With Zero over pressure signs with 100% function with this load @ 120 rounds shot so far. The gun has 400+ rounds total through it, so it's well broke in.
    The test was with water jug's packed with soaked news paper and flooded, shot @ 10 feet from the muzzle.
    The 90 grain Hornady XTP went 15" into the jug's @ 959 feet per second and expanded evenly to .493"

Also I sent a 90 grain Speer Gold Dot in new jugs and it went 12" into them @ 984 feet per second and expanded evenly to .497"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Re: Another P-3AT Load/Test

Sounds like my load of 3.3 Red Dot - XTP bullet.

BTW: How do you weigh or measure 3.35 grains?

Reloading scales generally only weigh accurately to 0.1, or 1/10 grain.
    And powder measures certainly will not meter Red Dot that close.

rc

3. ArticleIVSection4

ArticleIVSection4 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Denver Co.
    Re: Another P-3AT Load/Test

Just like a chronograph test of a load you get a mean/ average value. I measured 25 drops out of my Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure on my Ohaus Reloading Scale Model No. 7401”Tap the scale with a pencil and keep your heavy breathing off the scale and you would be surprised how accurate a scale can be”. I also have an RCBS UNIFLOW but it is not any more accurate than the Lee Pro Auto-Disk, I found that the powder stuck to the sides of both throws until I electrically grounded them to help get rid of the static. I built powder baffles for all 4 of my Powder Measure’s, sometimes it helps with bridging. Also the throw was cycled with the same speed and movements every time. All of this sounds like I’ve gone to some paranoid level of reloading; it’s just how I work.

In the end: as long as your bullets were placed well it usually doesn’t matter what “magic bullet” you choose to buy or load, his Tyrannous existence should stop there.

Marc...

4. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008