Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTH!!

VANDALIA, Ohio —
Police are trying to determine how many firearms were taken following a late Friday night break-in at Vandalia Range and Armory, 100 Corporate Center Drive.

An advisory sent out to area police said that three males wearing ski masks and dressed in black got into the store. They smashed a case, and took an unknown number of handguns. They may also have taken some rifles.

An inventory is underway, and investigators are also looking at surveillance video.

No one was injured.
http://www.whiotv.com/news/news/local/burglars-take-weapons-vandalia-gun-shop/nNcZ9/

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I'm glad nobody was injured. Except, of course, the perps. Hand guns, eh - I wonder why someone would choose to steal just hand guns - hmmmm....

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
wow. The gun store I use most has been hit twice, but the crooks have had no luck getting at the guns. Those are very well protected. They had a nice time playing in the classroom they broke into though.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Yeah, I heard it on the radio over the weekend. I shoot there from time to time.

This sucks bad for them. It particularly sucks because the crime happened on Friday night so they were shut down Saturday in order to take inventory. Besides the damage to the property and the stolen goods (which were doubtless insured), they lost all the revenue they would have generated on their busiest day of the week.

Hope these thieves get caught.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
The last time I was in Vandalia was in '00 and all I saw were corn fields, two bars, and what looked like a landing strip. With the GM factories around there going through a rough time and all that town went downhill fast.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I would be willing to bet that those guns are already in the hands of gangs in several large cities.

I don't remember hearing about any gun shops in my area getting burglarized. They must have good security because we are near Chicago and a few other bad gang areas so I'm sure they would like to steal any weapons they can.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
The last time I was in Vandalia was in '00 and all I saw were corn fields, two bars, and what looked like a landing strip. With the GM factories around there going through a rough time and all that town went downhill fast.
Vandalia is the site of the Dayton area airport.

There are lots of cornfields in OH, pretty much anywhere you go outside of the cities.

I'm still shocked that Vandalia screwed themselves on the shotgun comp. It always brought in millions of tourist dollars and they just pissed it away. I've always suspected there was an "anti" behind the decision but never looked close enough to find out one way or another.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
597 Posts
I think someone made them a sweet $$$ deal to move the Grand National Trap Shoot from Vandalia. It had been there for decades.

VRA is a first rate gunshop/shooting range. The have like 15-20 indoor pistol ranges and a 5 or 6 stall underground scoped rifle range (upto 50 Cal). They have an awesome selection of new/used pistols and many black guns of all types. I think it is owned/run by ex LEO's.

There are quite a few gun shops close by and the Dayton International Airport is the site each year of a gigantic air/trade show that has the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds and other top name groups. Dayton/Vandalia is not dead, just re-grouping.

Been here all my life.

OLE442

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
I think someone made them a sweet $$$ deal to move the Grand National Trap Shoot from Vandalia. It had been there for decades.
I dunno. I kept hearing rumors that Vandalia would or would not do xyz for the trap.

VRA is a first rate gunshop/shooting range. The have like 15-20 indoor pistol ranges
18, ims. 3 sets of 6.

and a 5 or 6 stall underground scoped rifle range (upto 50 Cal). They have an awesome selection of new/used pistols and many black guns of all types. I think it is owned/run by ex LEO's.
I keep meaning to check out their rifle lanes but I keep forgetting. Nice folks. Only LGS in the area with an on staff smith.

There are quite a few gun shops close by and the Dayton International Airport is the site each year of a gigantic air/trade show that has the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds and other top name groups. Dayton/Vandalia is not dead, just re-grouping.
Dayton isn't dead. Not by a long shot. WPAFB is here and that'll float the area for a good long time. Vandalia is doing OK but I still say they shot themselves in the foot with the trap.

Been here all my life.

OLE442
This is the part where I invite you to come out to see us and what we do in my Western Martial Arts club. Huber Heights. Tuesday nights. I've converted my garage into a training area. Love to have a fellow KTOGer stop by.

http://cbd.atspace.com/

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Been to VRA many times. Last time was last Thursday. Geez. I'm curious how they got in. I thought the place looked super secure. I wonder if the perps had help. If not they must have been pretty smart.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Been to VRA many times. Last time was last Thursday. Geez. I'm curious how they got in. I thought the place looked super secure. I wonder if the perps had help. If not they must have been pretty smart.
Same invite to you too. :) We do cane fighting, bowie knife, tomahawk, military saber, pugilism, bartitsu, and lots of other cool stuff.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do either of you guys visit Lauhorner? I’ve been wondering about the “handloads” policy.
Last time I was there (years) they barley had any guns in stock and their website has been down for a while.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Rubb - Never heard of Lauhorner. Where is it? VRA and the Miami Valley Shooting grounds are where I typically go. The Spring Valley range is nice too, but mostly for rifles.

Kirk - Thanks for the invitation. We'll see. I gave Judo a try in my mid-30's. Promptly injured my shoulder and ended up in physical therapy for a few weeks.

In other news, the reason I was up at VRA was to get one of their gunsmiths to do a trigger job for me on a 1911. I hope they still have my pistol. I had better call them. My guess, though, is that the counters with all the pistols just inside the main door were what they hit. The thieves could have made off with more than a hundred guns pretty easily. Sad...

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Ironically, I just minutes ago got a call from VRA. My pistol is safe and ready to pickup. They had given me a 3 week delivery time. The lady on the phone (owners wife) said that investigators were still working on the case. I'm guessing that with the retail business slowed down the smiths had more time for bench work.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wasn't the last store burglarized in ohio in columbus? I keep expecting it to happen in Cincinnati, because its such a s--thole ( I live here, so I'm qualified to judge... lol) I have to drive to dayton (miami valley shooting grounds to be exact) to go to a decent range. I am aware of and have wanted to visit vandalia and old english but my range time opportunity has become so scarce lately with my kids becoming of extracurricular activity age. Any other ohioans have some shooting land? I'm thinking shooting/bbq/BS day for ktog people. Between my buddy and I we have almost the whole catalog of kt products ( no ksg or rfb... yet)

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Do either of you guys visit Lauhorner?
I rarely get over to Springfield despite it being so close, comparatively.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Kirk - Thanks for the invitation. We'll see. I gave Judo a try in my mid-30's. Promptly injured my shoulder and ended up in physical therapy for a few weeks.
I partially separated my shoulder in Judo a few years back. I didn't do any physio but it took about a year before I had what I consider 99% mobility back. I still, to this day, don't have as much flexibility in that shoulder but it's nothing that is obvious. I still do Judo though. :)

In other news, the reason I was up at VRA was to get one of their gunsmiths to do a trigger job for me on a 1911. I hope they still have my pistol. I had better call them. My guess, though, is that the counters with all the pistols just inside the main door were what they hit. The thieves could have made off with more than a hundred guns pretty easily. Sad...
The close case is where they keep their Kel Tecs, Bersas, Rugers, and some other similar. The Kimbers are on just a little bit further in, ims.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wasn't the last store burglarized in ohio in columbus? I keep expecting it to happen in Cincinnati, because its such a s--thole ( I live here, so I'm qualified to judge... lol) I have to drive to dayton (miami valley shooting grounds to be exact) to go to a decent range. I am aware of and have wanted to visit vandalia and old english but my range time opportunity has become so scarce lately with my kids becoming of extracurricular activity age. Any other ohioans have some shooting land? I'm thinking shooting/bbq/BS day for ktog people. Between my buddy and I we have almost the whole catalog of kt products ( no ksg or rfb... yet)
It was Powell.
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=246748

No land here...I'm in for a OH shoot if we can come up with a time/place that works for everyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts