Another Newbie

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by dboat, Feb 7, 2008.

1. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Well after lurking here for a while, I just registered and signed in..

I belong to some other forums (automotive, archery, etc) and can say that this is a very active informed group of owner/shooters.

Let me tell you something about myself and where I could use your help, if you are inclined to post up.

I have not been an outdoorsman nor a shooter for most of my life. I am 50 yrs old. However, I do own a Ruger 9mm revolver that I purchased new about 30 yrs ago on a lark, it was brand new then and I doubt that I have fired 200 rounds through it and havent fired any rounds through it over the last 20 yrs. However, I took up archery as a hobby about 16 mos ago and have progressed fairly well to the extent that I went hunting for the first time in my life this last season. I didnt get anything but I understand now why folks like to do it. This now brings me to where I want to have some personal protection for my wife and myself in our home, car and on our persons. I have already ordered a Taurus, The Judge, for my wife (its the one that shoots .410 and .45's out of the same chambers. Its a 5 shot revolver. This is for her for the house. We are both going to take a handgun course taught locally by an ex-Marine that has always received good marks. We will both get our CHL's as well. I am now thinking that I am going to purchase two CCW's. One is the P3AT, the other is one of the small Taurus CCW's, liteweight or titanium version revolver.
    So, I have read some of the complaints about the P3AT but it appears that they are minimal in the big scheme of things and that Keltec makes things right. However, I really need some help from the membership here.. remember, I am as new to this as they come. So keep that in mind as you respond.

What is the real difference in the finishes? I dont care for blue so much because of the fingerprints, etc. (my Ruger is blue) but I dont want the shiny finish either, what is Parkerized? and is it worth the extra cost?

I think I have figured what FTF and FTE mean (fail to fire and fail to eject?) but what is a fluff and buff?

Face it, cleaning and oiling a revolver is pretty darned easy. So I am hoping that the disassembly, cleaning and oiling of this thing is too, esp once you do it a time or two..

I do realize this is a CCW and not something you are going to shoot thousands of rounds out of a year, so my expectations of the gun are realistic.

It seems to me that there are some "standard" accessories that one gets, the Agrips, etc.. I plan on gettng a laser for it and am considering the CTC and the Armalaser.. both have good qualities to them.

Are there other accessories that seem to be standard as well? such as magazines, etc? I would really like to hear back on this one.

So, before I go plunk down some cash on one, I just want your help to make sure I make the best decision on the first go round.

Oh, I have added several of the links on here to my KelTec folder in IE so that I wont lose them. Thanks for all those links, they will make the job of finding a holster, and other items so much easier.

Dana

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome DBoat, glad you dropped in.

Finishes...KT has 3 (blue, park, & chrome) and then there are the ones available from others. the park is a dull gray/blackish rough finish, very durable. But this is going to be in a holster and pocket, so if the blue finish gets thin, who really cares. the extra cost of the park or chrome will keep the gun looking pretty longer

F&B is just a final hand polishing of the components follower the manufacturing machining. the pistols being produced now really don't need it. It is also an accelrated "wearing in". So I would recommend cleaning/lubing and shooting a couple hundred rounds. If there are problems (those FT?s) then a little extra hand polishing might be benifical

Cleaning is easy, pull a pin, pull barrel/slide/springs off the frame. remove springs and barrel from slide. push something thru the bore, wipe down the rest. These pistols benifit from addition lube other than just oil. there are spots that like a little grease

as far as accesaries. a good holster. that other stuff is up to you ;)

3. Eric_in_Nola

Eric_in_Nola New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Welcome,

I have a parked P3at, and I love it. IMHO it is the best of the three finishes, I own arms in all three finishes and have been pleased with the park most of all. No wear on it after 1.5 years full time carry (50% of which was without holster, in pocket or in waist band w/ clip accessory). In my city (New Orleans) HC, stainless, nickel or other “bright” metal finishes are considered “thug guns” and carry connotations about the type of persons who carries them. My opinion is that Kt’s HC is very good looking but not what I need for a CCW.

An extra mag is something I should pick up but just have not done so. For my needs and work clothing requirements the less I have to haul around the better so I don’t carry a spare mag w/ me. I should get one b/c mags do break, just like all things mechanical, so it is a good idea to have one.

I have a +1 round extension but don’t like it. It works as advertised but for my carry method the little extra length almost a ways gets caught on my clothing and fouls my draw, thus I don’t use it.

I do have an Armalaser and love it. Good piece of gear, holds a zero even when dropped (oops). And is backed up by a good company. Have not touched the CTC laser for the P3at but I am not fond of them on other guns- just my own opinion and not a comment on the quality or reliability of CT products.

I have a cheap nylon pocket holster (about $9) from Concealed Concepts and have been very happy with it. I have a K&D holster coming but they take forever to get it to you (for good reason- all hand made and a very high quality product) so that is why I got the cheap one.

I did a F&B on mine when I got it and have had very few problems with the pistol, almost none after the first 250 rounds.

Enjoy your new pistol, take care of it and it will take care of you

4. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Matte hard chrome is the most rust resistant and durable finish Kel-Ted puts on their pistols. It will cost you an extra $40-50 but it is well worth it. I have one Parkerized Kel-Tec mousegun but wouldn’t buy another. I have a couple with the slides refinished in salt resistant Gun Kote and several in plain Jane factory blue. However the bulk of my P-3ATs are in matte hard chrome which wears superbly.

(click picture to see finger extensions in a P-3AT)  
    [​IMG]
    Wilson – who’s a bit of a P-3AT finger extension fanatic  :D

5. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    +1 on the hard chrome. From what I've heard of Kel-Tec's parkerized guns, they are indeed very durable, but the normal order of things is blued, parked, then hard chromed. Hard chrome is essentially rust proof and will not wear off. Also the KT hard chrome finish is matte and is not bright at all. Besides, if this is a CCW, no one is going to see it anyway.

I would also suggest that you at least consider the P-32, especially if your wife is going to be using the Kel-Tec. The P-32 holds one more round, a 10 round magazine is available, it kicks a bit less than the P3-AT and it is less prone to limp-wristing. Ballistically there's not too much of a difference between the .32 ACP and .380 Auto.

Here is my hard chrome P-32 with the 10 round magazine in it, and an OEM mag with the Kel-Tec +1 extension next to it:

[​IMG]

Welcome to KTOG!

6. What model number would that be DANA?

7. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    It would be a 30 yr old Ruger Speed Six..

8. If you are interested in trading or selling, check your pm's!

Oh yeah.... Welcome to KTOG!

And I agree with the finsih ideas already posted.

Here are my three 3AT's.

I carry the blued because it was my first one, and for some reason I just like to keep two pretty ones in the safe.

[​IMG]

If you like one of the shiny ones, let me know!

Here is a better view of my navy blue gripped hard chrome.

[​IMG]

9. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    called CDNN today.. they are backordered.. dang

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    ;) Thus finish might depend on what is available

11. boatnsc

boatnsc New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Just got a hard chrome P3AT and am very happy with it the trigger is smoother and after 200 rds..it will be ready
    Check your link on home page for tekworks it willtell you alot about the polishing as mentioned earlier.l am a newbie here
    about 6 month and have learned alot from these old salts,oops that was a slip.no prejudice here.

Have fun on the forum, l sure have

12. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    exactly. when i bought mine several months ago, it was the least expensive i had found in a couple of months and the only dealer that could even get one. it is blued, didn't feel like spending the extra on HC at the time as blued price was pushing my pocket book a bit. but i have been extremely pleased with the little gun, and i see no reason why you would not be either.

the only accessories that i have at this point for this particular gun are a spare mag that may or may not be carried. as mentioned before, they do break from time to time and it's handy to have 2 at the range if shooting more than a few rounds. shooting 200 in a session loading one mag at a time gets a bit annoying after a while. and a cheap safari holster purchased with the gun. it leaves something to be desired (i only carry IWB). if you can't find a holster that suits you in the cheap department, it's worth a bit of extra cash to get one that you do like and works the best.

other than that, many members use mag extensions and lasers and such. they are fine (my P11 has a mag extension on the carry mag and i like it a lot), but it's entirely up to you. it's a hobby as well as what you're trusting your life to! customize it as you see fit!

spence

13. bazookabert

bazookabert New Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Any of the three finishes are a great choice. I went with the Blued for the price. For a pocket gun, does it really matter? As far as accessories; I purchased a extra mag when I purchased the gun and its still in the package. However; the grip extension and sleeve make a wonderful difference on shooting and control.

As far as the holster, I have found it's all in personal preference. Mainly because there are so many out there.... the possibilities are endless. Think about your needs and make your decision from there.

Other than a basic F&B, I found it necessary to file a little off the magazine release. It had a tenancy to drop in my pocket.

cheers and welcome :)

[​IMG]

14. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Welcome! I can't say too much more than has already been said except that I have a blued p11 and a chrome p3at, and the chrome finish is my favorite by far. If you are planning to carry in a holster and not IWB with a blet clip any finish will do. I'm rough on guns and have them out in the elements and I've noticed the bluing on the p11 has gotten worn over time and surface rust shows up more than I would like. This is where the chrome or parked version will really come into play. Also, the bluing will wear off in places where the gun rubs against the holster over time and you will start to see shiny spots where the metal is showing through after much use. In this case the parked p3at is second best behind the chrome on in my book.

Josh--who's still looking for a parked KT.

15. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Aint that the truth.. it was one of those, "well whatever we get in goes right back out really fast" kind of responses. ::)

Dana

16. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    As far as a holster, I didnt see a lot of threads in regard to those that are using a laser with theirs as to their experience. I forgot who posted it but something that fits and is comfortable far outweighs cost.. I am a big boy, so finding something that fits and is comfortable may be a challenge.. someone else posted up the acronym IWB and I dont know what that stands for.. I am assuming at this point that I got the other acronyms correct.
    I will probably get another mag, but not carry it with me so much. Most everything I have read is that if there is a confrontation, they usually end in three shots or less, so the need to reload usually isnt there.. but I agree if you are going to the range to shoot, having to reload the same cartridge gets old fast. So I will probably do that.. I most likely wont get the extended cartridge, just because I wouldnt use it in carrying it, but there are those that make a good point in that if you were carrying a reload, one that is longer and has pinky finger ability is good.. (am going to have to think about that one)..
    I didnt see anyone disagreeing with Agrips, and will order that as soon as I have one on order.
    What about holsters? should I look for a shoulder, waist (here goes that fat issue again) or an ankle holster? I dont have any experience with them.. so any input would be really appreciated.

All of you guys have been very helpful and I really appreciate the input, but more is better.. so post up..

Thanks

OH, the CDNN guy had quoted me 219 on the gun, which I thought was a smoking deal given the prices I have seen posted and after searching online.

Dana

17. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    IWB => In the Waist Band ;)

for some ideals on holster click on K&D at the top of the page. Kevin has some high quaility products. I currently have 2 of his (sold 0ne).

Depending on dress, I have always carried in the front pant pocket. that way you can have your hands in your pocket and be ready. Kevin's 2N1 defender with a antiprint panel is popular. I have the defender with a bifold panel that makes it look just like a wallet and provides excellent protection while working around the acrage.

If you think you might be suspectable to getting KT fever like a lot have, you might want to consider a P32 if you see one first

18. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I started to look at that one too(thanks for the suggestion, helps reconfirm my thinking).. not sure what the real differences are though.. it seemed to be less powerful than the P3AT.. remember, a real newb when it comes to guns.. my bro is much more knowledgeable and he is already harping my using a .380 and not a .45.. but I dont want the size or weight of a .45..
    also, as I posted before, (maybe Sheepdog will opine on this one), most encounters end in 3 or less shots, I am thinking even if a drug crazed, 300+lb guy is coming my way, this gun with the right ammo should at least put a pretty good dent in someone like that...

Dana

19. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    I am curious as to why you wouldn't carry with an extended mag. The best reason for having an extended mag is that it gives you more control over the gun, so if you can carry with an extended mag (which I don't see why you couldn't) you probably should. Of course you'll want to test out the gun and see what works best for you, but since you're a large guy, I'd think you'd really want that extended mag. If you're getting the P3-AT, you can get +1 extensions or +0 grip extensions:

P3-AT mag with +1 extension:
    [​IMG]

P3-AT mag with +0 grip extension:
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately there is no 10 round mag for the P3-AT yet.

And your bro is right, to a point. A pocket pistol is already a compromise. You are compromising a heavier, more powerful round for a pistol that you can carry anytime, anywhere. If anything it could be a backup to a .45, but it is not a replacement, nor is it meant to be. But carrying a little gun is better than having a larger gun that you leave at home. Neither the .32 ACP or the .380 is going to win any popularity contests, but ballistically, there is not a whole lot of difference. I would recommend trying them both out, if you get the chance. The P-32 kicks a bit less--not sure if that matters to you since you are a big guy, but then again you are new to guns, so maybe. Also that 10 round mag is pretty nice to have, and if you have big hands you might really appreciate it.

Unless I am dreaming I think someone has actually found a way to make a 10 round mag for the P3-AT. Perhaps someone could post a link to that.

20. You rang?   ;D

Actaully... it is only a nine rounder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The DIY link:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1176394771/10#10

Or... if you are not inclined to DIY.. I would happily swap two or three of these for that old rusty Ruger 9mm.   ;)